Raspberry and White Chocolate Shortbread a delicious dessert combines the buttery texture of shortbread with the sweet tang of raspberries and the creamy richness of white chocolate. Whether you are looking for a dessert to serve at a party or just want to indulge in a sweet treat, raspberry crumb bars are sure to satisfy your cravings.
This raspberry bars recipe is made with just a few simple ingredients, including butter, sugar, and flour, the result are a rich, buttery cookie that is simply divine. The bright red color of the raspberries also adds a pop of color to the dessert, making shortbread raspberry bars visually appealing as well as delicious.
The Origins of Shortbread
Shortbread is a type of biscuit that originated in Scotland in the 16th century. It is made with a simple combination of butter, sugar, and flour. The exact origin of shortbread is unknown, but it is believed to have been created by Scottish bakers who used leftover bread dough and added butter and sugar to create a new type of biscuit.
Today, shortbread is enjoyed around the world and comes in many different variations. Some people add chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruit to their shortbread, while others use different types of flour or sugar to create a unique flavor. Despite the many variations, the basic recipe for shortbread remains the same, and it continues to be a popular dessert for special occasions and everyday snacking.
Why You Will Love This Shortbread Dessert Recipe
- Perfect balance of flavors: The combination of sweet white chocolate and tangy raspberry creates a perfect balance of flavors that is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
- Easy to make: This recipe is incredibly easy to make, even for novice bakers. With just a few simple ingredients and steps, you can whip up a batch of delicious shortbread in no time.
- Great for sharing: This recipe yields a generous amount of sweet shortbread bars, making it perfect for sharing with friends and family. It also makes a great gift for special occasions.
Raspberry and White Chocolate Shortbread ingredients
Flour: You will need 1 ½ cups of flour for the base of this recipe.
Baking powder: Using 1 teaspoon of baking powder will help these cookie bars rise while baking.
Salt: Adding just a pinch of salt will enhance the flavors of all the ingredients well.
Egg: Use 1 egg to give this bar a great texture and sensational flavor.
Sugar: You ½ cup of sugar to make this dessert just the right amount of sweetness.
Butter: Use ⅓ cup of butter to provide needed fats to give this treat much-needed moisture.
Jam preserves: For this delicious dessert we are using one 18-ounce jar of Raspberry preserves. If you want you can also use strawberry or blueberry preserve, whatever your taste preference is will be great!
Sugar: You need 3 tablespoons of sugar for the delightful topping on this dish.
Egg: Use 1 egg to help bind the topping ingredients and create a rich-tasting treat.
Coconut flakes: You will need 1 cup of coconut flakes to create a lovely toasted flavor for this shortbread bar.
White chocolate chips: For extra yummy goodness, use about ⅓ bag of white chocolate chips (optional, but highly recommended).
How to make Raspberry Shortbread Bars
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Then, spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Then, add in the egg, sugar, and butter, mix well. To make mixing in the butter easier, I like to cut the butter up into smaller pieces. It makes it easier to stir and combine well with the other ingredients.
Next, put the dough into the prepared baking dish and press it out to cover the entire pan. I typically do this with my hands, it is much easier that way. The dough will be spread about ¼ – ½ inch thick across the whole dish.
After that, spread on the Raspberry preserves, this is best done with a baking spatula. Use as much as you need to have a decent layer on top of the pastry base, I use about 12 ounces, which is a little less than the full jar.
In a separate small bowl, beat the egg and sugar together.
Now add the coconut flakes and mix well.
Proceed to spread the mixture over the top of the raspberry preserves.
Then, sprinkle white chocolate chips over the entire top. I don’t usually measure this step exactly, I measure with my heart. I love chocolate.
Bake & serve
Put the dish in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the topping is golden and pastry is cooked.
It is best to cut into squares while it is still warm. Let cool for 15-20 minutes, serve and enjoy!
Variations and Substitutions
There are many ways to customize Raspberry and White Chocolate Shortbread to suit individual preferences and dietary restrictions. Here are a few ideas for substitutions and variations:
- Gluten-free: Replace all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend, such as almond flour or oat flour. Make sure to use certified gluten-free ingredients if necessary.
- Dairy-free: Substitute vegan butter or coconut oil for the butter and use dairy-free white chocolate chips.
- Fruit variations: Swap out the raspberries for other berries, such as strawberries or blueberries. Alternatively, try using dried fruit, such as cranberries or apricots, for a chewy texture.
- Nut variations: Add chopped nuts, such as pecans or almonds, to the shortbread dough for extra crunch and flavor.
- Chocolate variations: Replace the white chocolate chips with dark or milk chocolate chips, or use a combination of different types of chocolate for a more complex flavor.
Experiment with different combinations of ingredients to find your perfect variation of Raspberry and White Chocolate Shortbread.
Raspberry and White Chocolate Shortbread
- 1 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Egg large
- ½ cup Sugar
- ⅓ cup Butter
- 18 ounce jar Raspberry preserves you can also use strawberry or blueberry preserves
- 3 TBSP Granualted sugar
- 1 Egg large
- 1 cup Coconut
- ⅓ bag White chocolate chips optional
- Prep: Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Dough: In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add in the egg, sugar and butter, mix well. To make mixing in the butter easier, I like to cut the butter up in smaller pieces.
- Next, put the dough into the prepared baking dish and press out to cover the entire pan. I typically do this with my hands, it is much easier that way. The dough will be spread about ¼ – ½ inch thick across the whole dish.
- After that, spread on Raspberry preserves, this is best done with a baking spatula. Use as much as you need to have a decent layer on top of the pastry base, I use about 12 ounces, which is a little less than the full jar.
- Topping: In a small bowl, beat the egg and sugar together. Now add the coconut flakes and mix well.
- Proceed to spread the mixture over the top of the raspberry preserves.
- Then, sprinkle white chocolate chips over the entire top. I don't usually measure this step exactly, I measure with my heart. I love chocolate.
- Bake & serve: Put the dish in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the topping is golden and pastry is cooked.
- It is best to cut into squares while it is still warm. Let cool for 15-20 minutes, serve and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Storage and Shelf Life of Raspberry Shortbread Bars
Raspberry and White Chocolate Shortbread can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. For longer storage, it is recommended to store them in the refrigerator or freezer.
When storing in the refrigerator, the shortbread should be placed in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap to prevent moisture from entering. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
For longer storage, the shortbread can be frozen for up to 3 months. It should be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and then placed in an airtight container or freezer bag to prevent freezer burn.
When ready to eat, the shortbread can be thawed at room temperature for a few hours or in the refrigerator overnight. It can also be reheated in the oven at 350°F for a few minutes to restore its crispiness.
It is important to note that the texture and flavor of the shortbread may change slightly after being stored in the refrigerator or freezer. However, if stored properly, it should still be delicious and enjoyable to eat.
Can I Freeze Chocolate Raspberry Shortbread Bars?
To freeze raspberry and white chocolate shortbread, follow these simple steps:
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before freezing. This will prevent them from becoming soggy when thawed.
- Wrap the cookies tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. This will prevent freezer burn and keep the cookies fresh.
- Place the wrapped cookies in an airtight container or freezer bag. Label the container with the date and contents.
- Freeze the cookies for up to 3 months.
When ready to eat, simply remove the desired number of cookies from the freezer and allow them to thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes. Alternatively, the cookies can be reheated in the oven at 350°F for 5-10 minutes.
It is important to note that while raspberry and white chocolate shortbread can be frozen, the texture may change slightly once thawed. The cookies may become slightly softer or crumblier, but they will still be delicious.
What is the difference between shortbread and shortbread bars?
Shortbread and shortbread bars are similar in that they are both made with butter, sugar, and flour. However, shortbread is typically less sweet and has a crumbly, buttery texture. Shortbread bars, on the other hand, are often sweeter and have a more tender texture.
When making shortbread, what must you not do?
When making shortbread, it is important not to overwork the dough or add too much liquid. Overworking the dough can cause it to become tough and chewy, while adding too much liquid can cause the shortbread to spread and become thin and crispy. It is also important not to overbake the shortbread, as this can cause it to become dry and crumbly.
Try some of our other great dessert bar recipes here!
- Easy Lemon Bars
- No Bake M&M Peanut Butter Bars
- Chocolate Caramel Peanut Butter Bars
- Orange Cheesecake Brownies
- Cheesecake Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Strawberry Sugar Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bars
- Apple Cinnamon Crumb Bars
- Salted Nut Roll Bars
- No Bake S’mores Bars
- Homemade Snickers Bars
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
Raspberry and White Chocolate Shortbread with white chocolate chips are an easy cookie bar recipe that tastes and looks delectable! These incredible raspberry crumb bars are sure to satisfy your sweet cravings.