Gingerbread cookies with a spiced marshmallow buttercream make for a fabulous and festive holiday treat. With cute little gingerbread men with icing, they look almost too good to eat! Cut time by making gingerbread men with cookie mix and spend more time with family and eating these adorable little men.
Happy Holidays! II have another delightful recipe for you today. I used my favorite Gingerbread Cookie Mix paired with a homemade spiced marshmallow buttercream to make these darling cookies. They’re perfect for holiday parties or neighbor gifts- let your kids get in on the fun!
What are gingerbread cookie sandwiches?
Normally you see gingerbread men standing on their own, with icing and decorations it’s a cookie without much else. This recipe however takes two gingerbread cookies and shoves the most amazing tasting spiced marshmallow buttercream in between. It’s the perfect spiced holiday cookie and it’s as much fun to eat as it is to make.
Gingerbread Cookie Ingredients
For the cookies you will need:
-Gingerbread cookie mix: You will need 1 package of cookie dough mix to help cut down on time and effort. I used Krusteaz but you can use any brand you prefer.
-Egg: We will need 1 egg to help act as the binder for the cookie dough.
-Butter: With 6 tablespoons of softened butter we can add fats and flavor to every delicious cookie bite.
For the Spiced Marshmallow Buttercream you will need:
-Butter: We need 1 cup (two sticks) of softened butter to help us create a rich buttercream.
-Marshmallow Creme: With a 7 ounce sized jar of marshmallow fluff, we can get a good marshmallow flavor and texture.
-Powdered Sugar: We will need 2 cups of powdered sugar to help sweeten and thicken the buttercream to the perfect texture.
-Vanilla: I lie to use high quality vanilla but use what you have on hand. We only need 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
-Spices: We will need 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg to help spice this marshmallow buttercream.
-Sprinkles: Using a combination of colorful holiday sprinkles in colors like silver, gold, red, green, and clear will help to add a festive touch.
-Sugar pearls: Often found near the sprinkles in the cake decorating section of stores, Silver colored sugar pearls are cut sprinkles that would look great as gingerbread buttons.
For the icing you will need:
-Powdered Sugar: We need 1/2 cup of powdered sugar to help make a nice white and creamy icing for our little cookies.
-Corn Syrup: With 1 teaspoon of corn syrup we can thicken up our icing and add a little shine.
-Hot Water: We only need 1 teaspoon of hot water to thin the icing to the perfect constancy and blend everything together.
How to make gingerbread cookies with spiced marshmallow buttercream
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
In a bowl, stir together the cookie mix, egg, and butter until a dough forms. Cover and chill the dough for 15 minutes.
Transfer your dough to a greased or floured work surface and roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick.
Cut the dough into your desired shapes with cookie cutters.
Place the cookies 1 inch apart onto a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake in the oven for 7-8 minutes and then let the cookies cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
Once the cookies have cooled, pair the gingerbread cookies together in 2’s so it’s easier to work with later.
Make the marshmallow buttercream by mixing together all of the ingredients until light and fluffy in a large bowl.
Transfer the filling to a piping bag and snip off the corner.
Pipe the frosting onto the bottom of one cookie and press it together with another to create a sandwich.
Repeat until all cookies have been filled.
Sprinkle the outer edges of buttercream on the cookie sandwiches with colorful sprinkles.
Finish off the cookies by mixing together the icing ingredients and making fun designs on the cookies. Add sugar pearls and let set.
- 1 pkg Gingerbread Cookie Mix
- 1 large egg
- 6 Tbsp butter, softened
Spiced Marshmallow Buttercream:
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened
- 1 jar (7oz) marshmallow creme
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp corn syrup
- 1 tsp hot water
- Various Holiday Sprinkles
- Silver Sugar Pearls
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir together cookie mix, egg and butter until dough forms. Cover and refrigerate dough for 15 minutes.
- Transfer dough to greased or floured surface and roll to ¼” thickness.
- Cut to desired shapes with small cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart onto greased or parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake 7-8 minutes. Let cookies cool an additional 2 minutes on pan. Transfer to a baking rack to cool completely.
- Pair 2 gingerbread cookies together. I used a mini gingerbread cookie cutter (2 1/2” tall) and yielded 66 cookies total, or 33 pairs.
- Mix together all ingredients for the spiced marshmallow buttercream until light and fluffy.
- Transfer to a plastic bag and cut the corner to pipe frosting onto the inside of one of the gingerbread cookie pairs. Top with remaining cookie to make a sandwich.
- Sprinkle colored sugar on outside of the buttercream edge. Finish by making buttons and face with piped icing and sugar pearls.
- Icing- whisk together ½ cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon corn syrup and 1 teaspoon hot water. Transfer into plastic bag and cut a small corner to pipe frosting onto the cookies.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How long are gingerbread cookies good for?
These cookies should be good for up to a week if kept properly stored in an airtight container in the fridge. You could also freeze them for a longer storage solution.
How to store gingerbread buttercream cookies
Due to the dairy based buttercream filling, once assembled, these cookies should be kept stored in the fridge for maximum freshness (and food safety reasons). If leaving them unfilled to be assembled later, the cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature and the filling can be kept stored covered in the fridge.
More holiday recipes to try soon!
- Holiday Peppermint Ice Cream Cake Roll
- Slow Cooked Holiday Ham
- Holiday Cookie Salad
- Gooey Holiday Chex Mix
- Christmas Muddy Buddies
- Spiced Cranberry Breakfast Cake
- Holiday Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Creamy Pomegranate Salad
- Pecan Pie Bars
- Gingerbread Whoopie Pies
- Nutter Butter Truffle
- Christmas Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
- Layered Christmas Jello Cups
- Christmas Cinnamon Rolls
- Peppermint Cookies
These gingerbread cookies with spiced marshmallow buttercream filling are a holiday favorite around here and once you try them at your house you’ll see them quickly become a favorite during your holidays as well!