Cinnamon Roll Snickerdoodles combine the best of both worlds, with a soft and chewy snickerdoodle base topped with a sweet icing reminiscent of a cinnamon roll. Make this easy snickerdoodle recipe with a few ingredients that most likely can be found in your kitchen and pantry!
These cinnamon cookies are easy to make and great for so many occasions. They are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and the warm vanilla icing compliments the cookie perfectly!
Soft Snickerdoodle Cookies Recipe
Cinnamon rolls and snickerdoodles are two classic treats that people of all ages love. The warm, comforting flavors of cinnamon and sugar are irresistible, and when combined, they make a truly delicious dessert. One of the best things about cinnamon roll snickerdoodles is that they are easy to make. The dough comes together quickly and doesn’t require any special ingredients.
These snickerdoodles with icing are a great alternative to these traditional desserts. They are perfect for holiday parties, family gatherings, or just as a sweet treat to enjoy at home. With their unique combination of flavors, they are sure to become a new favorite among cookie lovers everywhere.
Why You’ll Love This Cinnamon Cookie Recipe
- Simple recipe to follow. This recipe is straightforward and easy to follow, making it the perfect choice for beginner bakers or anyone looking for a quick and easy treat. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have delicious, homemade Cinnamon Roll Snickerdoodles in no time.
- One batch makes a ton. If you’re ever looking for a cookie recipe to share with friends, a cookie exchange, or donating to an event, this recipe is it. Not only is it a unique twist on a classic cookie recipe, but it also makes about 3 dozen cookies!
- Unique Flavor Combination. The combination of cinnamon roll and snickerdoodle flavors is a unique and delicious twist on traditional snickerdoodles. The warm, comforting flavors of cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar are perfectly balanced with the tangy sweetness of cream of tartar, resulting in a cookie that is both familiar and new.
Cinnamon Snickerdoodle Ingredients
Butter– You will need ½ cup of softened butter to make these cookies soft and rich in taste.
Shortening– Adding ½ cup of shortening will give the cookies more fats needed to stay moist but without changing the consistency. I like to use butter flavored Crisco, but you can use plain shortening as well.
Sugar– 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar will make these cookies perfectly sweet and chewy.
Eggs– To bind the cookie dough together well, you need 2 large eggs.
Vanilla extract– Add 1 TBSP of vanilla extract to enhance all the wonderful flavors in this dough.
Flour– The base of this cookie dough is 2 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour.
Cream of tartar– For the traditional snickerdoodle flavor, use 2 tsp of cream of tartar.
Baking soda– Adding 1 tsp of baking soda will help the cookies to puff up and rise as they bake.
Salt– Use ½ tsp of salt to balance the flavors in these cookies.
Cinnamon sugar- To make the cinnamon sugar for snickerdoodles, you’ll need a mix of 3 TBSP granulated sugar and 2 TBSP of ground cinnamon.
For the Vanilla Swirl, you will need:
Butter– You need 2 TBSP of melted butter to make the icing rich and flavorful.
Powdered sugar- Use ⅔ cups of powdered sugar for the base of the icing, this will make it smooth and sweet.
Milk– Add in 1-2 TBSP of milk to get a good consistency, the actual amount needed will vary.
Vanilla extract– 1 tsp of vanilla extract will make the icing taste incredible.
How to Make Cinnamon Roll Snickerdoodles
To start, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Then, line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon mats. Set them aside.
Next, in a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream the butter, shortening, 1 ½ cups sugar, eggs, and the vanilla extract until combined.
After that, stir in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Mix until no white streaks remain.
Then, in a separate small bowl mix the 3 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon together.
Proceed to shape the dough by rounded scoops into balls and roll them into the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Arrange the coated dough balls 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
Place the cookies in the preheated oven and bake for exactly 8 minutes. Then remove them from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Whisk the melted butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a small bowl until it is smooth and lump free. Let it cool for about 5 minutes.
Then transfer the frosting to a small bag and snip off the corner. Proceed to pipe the glaze onto the cooled cookies in the shape of a swirl.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Variations and Substitutions
Cinnamon Roll Snickerdoodles are a delicious treat that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. Here are some variations and substitutions that can be made to the recipe to create different flavor profiles:
- Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Roll Snickerdoodles: For those who love chocolate, adding chocolate chips to the dough can create a delicious twist on the classic recipe. Simply mix in 1 cup of chocolate chips into the dough before rolling it into balls.
- Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Roll Snickerdoodles: To add a fall twist to the recipe, try adding pumpkin spice instead of cinnamon to the dough. Use the same amount of pumpkin spice as you would cinnamon. This variation will give the cookies a warm, cozy flavor.
- Maple Glazed Cinnamon Roll Snickerdoodles: For those who enjoy a sweet glaze, try adding a maple glaze to the cookies. To make the glaze, mix 1 cup of powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, and 1 tablespoon of milk until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies.
- Vegan Cinnamon Roll Snickerdoodles: To make the recipe vegan, substitute the butter with vegan butter and the eggs with a flax egg. To make a flax egg, mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water and let it sit for 5 minutes until it thickens. Use this mixture in place of the eggs in the recipe.
CINNAMON ROLL SNICKERDOODLES
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup shortening I used butter flavored Crisco
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 TBSP granulated sugar
- 2 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 2 TBSP melted butter
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 TBSP milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon mats. Set them aside.
- Dough: In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream the butter, shortening, 1 ½ cups sugar, eggs, and the vanilla extract until combined. Stir in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Mix until no white streaks remain.
- In a separate small bowl mix the 3 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon together.
- Shape the dough by rounded scoops into balls and roll them into the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Arrange the coated dough balls 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake: Place the cookies in the preheated oven and bake for exactly 8 minutes. Then remove them from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Vanilla frosting: Whisk the melted butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a small bowl until it is smooth and lump free. Let it cool for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the frosting to a small bag and snip off the corner. Pipe the glaze onto the cooled cookies in the shape of a swirl. Serve immediately and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How do I ensure my cookies have the classic tangy flavor?
To ensure that your snickerdoodle cookies have the classic tangy flavor, use cream of tartar in the recipe. This ingredient is what gives snickerdoodles their signature tangy taste. You can also use a combination of cinnamon and nutmeg for a more complex flavor profile. Make sure to follow the recipe closely and measure all ingredients accurately to achieve the desired taste.
How long are cinnamon roll snickerdoodle cookies good for?
These cookies can be kept stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. For best results, I recommend eating them within 2 to 3 days or keeping them stored in the fridge if it’s warm in your home and you don’t want the icing to soften or melt.
Can I freeze frosted cookies?
These cookies are great for freezing for later but I recommend waiting to frost them until after the cookies have thawed. If you frost the cookies before freezing the storage becomes harder with layers of baking paper to prevent sticking and the icing may melt or sweat as they thaw, looking less appetizing in the process.
Can I make these cookies gluten-free?
Yes, you can make these cookies gluten-free by using gluten-free cinnamon roll dough and a gluten-free flour blend in the recipe. You can also substitute the all-purpose flour with almond flour or coconut flour for a healthier alternative.
HOW DO YOU SOFTEN BUTTER?
I like to soften butter by using the defrost function on my microwave. If you need the full 1/2 cup cube of butter, you can leave it in the paper wrapper, otherwise, place the amount of butter you need in a glass or porcelain bowl. I use the lowest defrost setting on my microwave and just let it run for 20 seconds. Check the butter and see how soft it is by pressing it with a rubber scraper. If it is still not soft to the touch, meaning it doesn’t indent when you press into it, let it warm for another 5-10 seconds. Watch it closely! Butter softens very quickly.
Check out some of our other favorite cookie recipes:
- LEMON PUDDING COOKIES
- MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- MONSTER COOKIES
- LEMON CREAM CHEESE COOKIES
- POTATO CHIP COOKIES
- LEMON THUMBPRINT COOKIES
- EASY ALMOND JOY COOKIES
- OATMEAL COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- LEMONADE COOKIES
- RASPBERRY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- BEST PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHERRY COOKIES
- BANANA CREAM PIE COOKIES
- BLUEBERRY CREAM COOKIES
- CHERRY PIE COOKIES
- COOKIES & CREAM COOKIES
- BLACKBERRY OATMEAL COOKIES
Cinnamon Roll Snickerdoodles are a unique and flavorful dessert that is simply irresistible. This easy snickerdoodle recipe comes together quickly and easily, you can have a warm batch of cookies in under 30 minutes!