Lemon Thumbprint Cookies are buttery, vanilla cookies topped with bright, flavorful lemon curd! Tangy lemon cookies with a lovely balance of sweet & tart flavors!
Soft Lemon Thumbprint Cookies are a delightful treat that combines the buttery texture of cookies with the tangy sweetness of lemon curd. These cookies are perfect for those who love a sweet and tart flavor profile. The bright lemon flavor in these cookies comes from the homemade lemon curd that is used to fill the thumbprint indentations in the cookies.
Why You’ll Love these Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
Lemon thumbprint cookies are a delightful treat that are perfect for any occasion. These cookies are made with a soft and buttery dough that is filled with a creamy lemon curd. The combination of sweet and tart flavors creates a deliciously balanced cookie that will satisfy any sweet tooth.
What makes these cookies so special is the homemade lemon curd. The lemon curd is made with fresh lemons, eggs, sugar, and butter. The result is a tangy and creamy filling that perfectly complements the buttery cookie base. The lemon curd is also easy to make and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, making it a versatile ingredient for other desserts.
The cookies are made with simple ingredients that are easy to find in most kitchens. The recipe calls for butter, granulated sugar, egg yolks, vanilla extract, all-purpose flour, and salt. The dough is formed into small balls and baked until they are lightly golden. The thumbprint indentations are then filled with homemade lemon curd, which is made with lemons, granulated sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. The lemon curd is microwaved until it thickens, strained, and then poured into the thumbprint indentations. The cookies are then baked for an additional 3 to 4 minutes until the curd melts slightly and the edges of the cookies are lightly golden.
Preparation of Cookies
To make our Lemon Thumbprint Cookies, start by preheating the oven to 375°F and lining a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla extract. Add flour and salt and mix until incorporated and dough comes together in a ball. If desired, chill for 30 minutes.
Form the dough into 1-inch balls (make sure they’re perfectly round), and arrange them on the prepared cookie sheet. Use a ½ tsp. measuring spoon to create perfectly circular craters in the center. Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven. If indentations look shallow, further define them again and fill each with about 1/2 tsp of lemon curd. Then, bake for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until curd melts slightly and edges of cookies are lightly golden. Cool. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
These Soft Lemon Thumbprint Cookies are perfectly sweet and tart with bright lemon flavor. They are made with buttery soft cookies and filled with creamy lemon curd. The lemon curd is made with fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, sugar, and butter. The lemon curd is cooked in the microwave and then mixed with the cookie dough.
The lemon curd can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. The cookie dough can also be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
To add the final touches to these soft lemon thumbprint cookies, dust them with powdered sugar after they have cooled. This will give them a beautiful and delicate appearance, making them perfect for serving at parties or as gifts.
Another option is to drizzle some melted white chocolate over the top of the cookies. This will add a touch of sweetness and a beautiful contrast to the tangy lemon curd.
LEMON THUMBPRINT COOKIES
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup lemon curd store-bought or homemade (recipe below)
Homemade Lemon Curd
- 4 lemons
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup lemon zest
- 1 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract. Add flour and salt and mix until incorporated and dough comes together in a ball. If desired, chill for 30 minutes.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls (make sure they’re perfectly round), and arrange on prepared cookie sheet. Use a ½ tsp. measuring spoon to create perfectly circular craters in the center.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove cookie sheet from oven. If indentations look shallow, further define them again and fill each with about 1/2 tsp of lemon curd.
- Bake for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until curd melts slightly and edges of cookies are lightly golden. Cool. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
Homemade Lemon Curd Instructions
- Melt butter in medium glass bowl in the microwave. Add sugar and stir. Microwave 1 minute.
- Add lemon juice and lemon zest. Microwave 2 minutes.
- Beat eggs and yolks until smooth. Pour out about 1/3 cup of hot lemon butter mixture into a 1 cup measuring cup.
- Add in about 1/4 of the egg mixture. Stir constantly, then pour into the bowl with the rest of the lemon mixture. Stir, then microwave for 1 minute.
- Repeat process, tempering eggs with a small amount of lemon mixture so that the eggs don’t cook. Stir after each 1 minute interval in the microwave. Continue until all of the eggs are mixed in.
- Microwave 2 minutes, stopping at 1 minute to stir again. Add in vanilla extract.
- Run mixture through strainer, if desired. I like to do this when the lemon curd is hot because it’s quick & easy. Straining yields a lovely smooth lemon curd, so I highly recommend it.
- Transfer lemon curd to jars and refrigerate. Curd will thicken upon cooling.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Storing & Freezing Thumbprint Cookies
Soft lemon thumbprint cookies are best enjoyed fresh, but they can also be stored or frozen for later consumption. Here are some tips on how to properly store and freeze your thumbprint cookies:
To store your thumbprint cookies, place them in an airtight container or ziplock bag. They can be left at room temperature for up to 3 days, but for longer storage, it is recommended to store them in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Thumbprint cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, place the cookies in an airtight container or ziplock bag and label with the date. When ready to eat, simply remove from the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
It is important to note that while freezing can help extend the shelf life of the cookies, it may affect the texture and flavor. To maintain the best quality, it is recommended to consume the cookies within a month of freezing.
Overall, with proper storage and freezing techniques, you can enjoy your delicious soft lemon thumbprint cookies any time you want!
More Thumbprint Cookies:
- EASY, SOFT JAM THUMBPRINT COOKIES
- RASPBERRY JAM THUMBPRINT COOKIES
- SALTED PUMPKIN CARAMEL THUMBPRINT COOKIES
- DOUBLE THUMBPRINT HEART COOKIES
- PEPPERMINT FUDGE THUMBPRINT COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY THUMBPRINT COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY THUMBPRINT COOKIES
- GRINCH THUMBPRINT COOKIES
Overall, these soft lemon thumbprint cookies are a delicious and versatile treat that are perfect for any occasion. With their buttery base and tangy lemon curd filling, they are sure to become a favorite among cookie lovers.