These cookies are just the best. I know jam thumbprints are kind of Christmas-y… but whatever. Who doesn’t love Christmas treats anyway? Everywhere I take these, I get rave compliments- they’re just so simple and buttery, I couldn’t not share. This sugary-shortbread dough is easy, quick, and resilient! They keep their shape when so many others do not. They’re yummy and pretty!
^^ Before baking.
30 minTotal Time
- 1 c. butter (at room temperature)
- 2/3 c. granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat together butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- Add flour and salt and mix until incorporated and dough comes together in a ball.
- If desired, chill for 30 minutes.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls (make sure they’re perfectly round), and arrange on prepared cookie sheet.
- Use a 1/2 tsp. measure to create perfectly circular craters in the center.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven. If indentations look shallow, further define them again, and fill each with a bit of jam.
- Bake for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until jam melts slightly and edges of cookies are lightly golden.