Chocolate Chip Coconut Oatmeal Cookies are loaded with sweet chocolate chips, coconut flakes & chewy oats! Delightful oatmeal chocolate chip cookies recipe with the addition of coconut for a great chewy texture!
Oatmeal cookies are always incredible, but when you add in chocolate chips and coconut, you have a winning recipe! These chocolate oatmeal cookies are truly an impressive and delicious dessert. It is impossible to just eat one because they are the BEST oatmeal coconut chocolate chip cookies and will have you reaching for more.
The BEST Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
This cookie recipe is so simple to make, a great option for beginners and professional bakers alike. The fact that there is no chill time required, the dough comes together quickly, it is as simple as mixing ingredients together in a bowl. These cookies are a perfect treat for any occasion! Whip up a batch on a weeknight to have a special after dinner dessert or on the weekend for a special treat, either way they are sure to be a huge hit with family and friends.
Tips for making great cookies every time!
Follow some or all of these tips and create fantastic cookies every time.
- First, I line my cookie sheets with a piece of parchment paper. They’re sold in sizes that fit a 12×16 cookie sheet perfectly and enable to cookies to bake well without sticking- and no mess from spraying oil on the cookie sheets!
- The second item is a KitchenAid mixer. I love mine! I have a Bosch as well but I find I use my KitchenAid for cookies. There is a cookie paddle that comes with every mixer that you attach to the top of the mixer. They’re easy to use and help you mix the ingredients uniformly.
- The third item is a cookie scoop! Years and years ago I used to use 2 spoons to measure and scrape cookie dough onto the pans. It wasn’t a perfect process and I often ended up with oblong cookies in various sizes. My solution? A cookie scoop! They come in three sizes- 1/2 tablespoon, 1.5 tablespoon and 3 tablespoon scoops. I used the small size- 1/2 tablespoon for these and I divided them into smaller pieces!
Chocolate Chip Coconut Oatmeal Cookies ingredients
Butter: You need 1 stick of butter that has been softened, this is equal to ½ cup of butter.
Shortening: To make the cookies soft without losing flavor or causing the cookies to spread, use ½ cup of butter-flavored shortening.
Brown sugar: To give the cookies a depth of flavor, you need 1 cup of packed light brown sugar.
Granulated sugar: Add in ½ cup of white sugar to make the cookies crisp in texture.
Eggs: You will need 2 large eggs to help bind the dough together. This will keep the cookies from crumbling apart.
Vanilla extract: Use 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to help enhance the flavors in the cookies.
Coconut extract: Add in 1 teaspoon of coconut extract or coconut emulsion to make the cookies taste spectacular!
Pudding mix: You will need one 3.4-ounce sized box of coconut cream pudding mix to add to the dough. This creates a great soft cookie texture.
Flour: You will need 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour for the base of this recipe.
Baking soda: Add in 1 teaspoon of baking soda so that the cookies rise nicely as they bake.
Salt: Use ½ teaspoon of salt to balance the flavors in these cookies.
Oats: You will need 3 cups of rolled oats to make these cookies a great texture.
Coconut: Add in 1 cup of sweetened coconut flakes to really give the cookies a strong coconut flavor.
Chocolate chips: To make the cookies extra yummy, use 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
Start with preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. Then, line baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
Making the dough
Now, in a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, both brown and white sugars, eggs, and vanilla and coconut extracts, until smooth and creamy.
Then, add in the dry pudding mix and then stir again to combine well.
Next, in a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt until well mixed. After that, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir well to fully combine.
Lastly, stir in the oats, shredded coconut, and chocolate chips until well incorporated.
Proceed to scoop the dough by the rounded tablespoon-sized balls and place them onto the prepared parchment-lined baking sheets.
For added deliciousness, add another 3-5 chocolate chips on top of each dough ball, if desired.
Then, bake in the oven for 9-11 minutes until light and golden.
Let the cookies cool for a few minutes, serve slightly warm and enjoy!
OATMEAL COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract or emulsion
- 3.4 oz instant coconut cream pudding mix
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
- Cookie dough: In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, both brown and white sugars, eggs, and vanilla and coconut extracts, until smooth and creamy. Then, add in the dry pudding mix and then stir again to combine well.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. After that, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir well to fully combine.
- Lastly, stir in the oats, shredded coconut, and chocolate chips until evenly mixed.
- Bake: Scoop the dough by the rounded tablespoon-sized balls and place them onto the prepared parchment-lined baking sheets. Top the cookies dough balls with another 3-5 chocolate chips each.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 9-11 minutes until light and golden. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes, serve slightly warm and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can I freeze oatmeal chocolate chip cookies?
Yes, these cookies can be frozen for a longer storage solution. To do this simply place the cookies in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to eat a cookie, just place it on the counter for several minutes to thaw before enjoying it.
How long are oatmeal cookies good for?
These cookies can stay fresh for up to a week if kept stored in an airtight container at room temperature. For best tasting results I recommend eating these cookies within 5 days. A trick my mother-in-law taught me, add a piece of bread to the container and the cookies will stay fresh longer. The cookies absorb the moisture from the bread and stay soft longer.
Why are my cookies coming out flat?
If your cookies are flat and spread out too much while baking, you may need to add a little bit more flour. Start by just adding a few tablespoons of flour to the batter and see if that is enough to help the shape of your cookies. If you are using a recipe with butter, make sure you are not completely melting the butter. There are a few cookie recipes that actually call for melted butter, but most of them just require the butter to be softened to room temperature.
Love oatmeal cookie recipes? Try more great recipes here:
- FIVE CHIP PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL COOKIES
- BLACKBERRY OATMEAL COOKIES
- M&M OATMEAL COOKIES
- APPLE CINNAMON OATMEAL COOKIES
- WHITE CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY OATMEAL COOKIES
- PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- LEMON OATMEAL COOKIES
- OATMEAL CHERRY CHOCOLATE COOKIES
- CINNAMON OATMEAL COOKIES
- CARAMEL APPLE OATMEAL COOKIES
- APPLE PUMPKIN OATMEAL COOKIES
- BEST EVER OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES
These Chocolate Chip Coconut Oatmeal Cookies are packed with so much coconut flavor, sweet chocolate chips, & chewy oats! Make this oatmeal chocolate chip cookies recipe for a perfect treat that’s great for many occasions.