Creamy Cheesy Potato Casserole made with russet potatoes, butter, milk, flour, and cheese, giving you the perfect cheesy potatoes recipe! Homemade funeral potatoes perfect for holidays, Sunday dinner, or any occasion.
Cheesy potatoes are in a league of their own when it comes to comfort dishes. You have the frugal and starchy potato pairing great with the cheese sauce and every bite just feels like a home run. The only thing missing is a nice side of steamed broccoli, but I’m sure you can manage that on your own as we focus here on the best cheesy potatoes you’ll ever eat.
What is cheesy potato casserole?
It’s a simple cheese sauce smothering cubed potatoes in a baking dish and then cooked until perfection. Cheese has always been a friend of potatoes in salad bars and baked potatoes but enjoying it in a casserole just feels right. More cheese to potato ratio on every plate makes it as filling as it is heartwarming.
Ingredients for cheesy potatoes
Potatoes: 3 pounds of potatoes is plenty for this recipe and should be enough to fill our baking dish without overcrowding.
Butter: We need 2 tablespoons of butter to help make the cheese sauce roux.
Flour: 2 tablespoons of flour will help us to make our cheese sauce roux as it will be the thickener.
Milk: We need a 12 ounce can of evaporated milk and 2 cups of regular milk to make sure that we have enough for this recipe.
Cheese: We want 3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, but the amounts will be divided throughout the recipe.
Salt and Pepper: We need 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper to make sure that our potato casserole is perfectly seasoned. You can always adjust to taste.
How to make Creamy Cheesy Potato Casserole
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Wash and peel the potatoes before cutting into small bite sized pieces.
In a large pot of water, boil the potatoes until fork tender and then drain the liquid.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour.
Whisk in the evaporated milk until smooth and no lumps remain.
Slowly whisk in 2 cups of milk, season the mixture with salt and pepper.
Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in 2 cups of cheddar cheese.
Place the potatoes into a buttered 9×13 baking dish.
Pour the cheese sauce over the top of the potatoes and stir lightly to combine.
Sprinkle the top of the potatoes with the remaining cheese.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and melted. Enjoy!
Creamy Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 3 pounds potatoes russets, washed & peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 12 ounce evaporated milk
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Wash and peel your potatoes. Cut the potatoes into bite sized cubes.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until just fork tender, about 10-12 minutes. Drain.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat melt the butter and whisk the flour into the melted butter.
- Whisk in the evaporated milk until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Slowly whisk in the 2 cups of milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in 2 cups of cheddar cheese.
- Place the potatoes into a buttered 9x13 baking dish.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes and stir lightly to combine.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly and cheese is melted. Serve & enjoy!
How long is cheesy potato casserole good for?
This casserole can be stored in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. Simply reheat when ready to enjoy the tasty leftovers. Of course, this is assuming that there are any leftovers.
Can I make cheese and potato casserole in advance?
Yes, you can prepare this meal up to a day in advance and keep it stored in a covered baking dish in the fridge. When ready to eat, simply bake the potato casserole until it’s fully heated through. It may take a few extra minutes to get it fully warmed throughout.
More casserole recipes worth adding to the menu
- HASH BROWN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- CROCKPOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- BACON BREAKFAST SCRAMBLE
- CHICKEN BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
- CHEESY HASHBROWN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- MEXICAN CHICKEN ALFREDO PASTA BAKE
- CINNAMON ROLL FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
- CHEESY WILD RICE CASSEROLE
- SOUTHWEST BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- CHEESY BAKED RAVIOLI LASAGNA
- HOLIDAY HAM & CHEESE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- CHICKEN TORTILLA CHIP CASSEROLE
- CHEESY BAKED TORTELLINI
- BLUEBERRY CROISSANT FRENCH TOAST BAKE
- CHICKEN CHILI PASTA BAKE
With this tasty creamy cheesy potato casserole recipe on hand, you’ll have the perfect side dish or main meal for any occasion. Packed with cheese and potatoes this dish is easy to make and so comforting to enjoy.
Leave a Reply