Cheesy Wild Rice Casserole is a perfect family dinner option for a cool fall evening. This chicken and wild rice casserole is packed with sweet and savory flavors, this is a complete dinner dish that the whole family will enjoy!
This delicious and simple baked chicken and rice casserole is loaded with flavors and textures that are perfect for fall. Made with crisp cooked bacon, fluffy wild rice, bits of cooked chicken, and chunks of fresh apple, this is not like any casserole you have ever had before. This tasty and comforting cheesy chicken and wild rice casserole recipe is one that you and your family will enjoy for years to come.
The BEST Wild Rice Casserole Recipe
When life gets crazy and hectic, all you want is a warm meal without a lot of work. This casserole is the answer to your dinner time struggle. It is made by simply mixing scrumptious ingredients together in a dish and baking to perfection. If that does not sound easy enough, then I don’t know what does. The simplicity of the recipe and the speed at which it cooks are two reasons why I think this is the BEST wild rice casserole recipe we have ever had. Give it a try and see for yourself!
Baked Wild Rice Casserole Ingredients
-Wild rice: You will need a 6-ounce box of long grain wild rice, either original or fast cook will work perfect.
-Chicken broth: Use 1 14.5-ounce can of chicken broth to give this casserole the moisture needed to cook the rice.
-Diced chicken: You will need 1 ½ cups of diced chicken so that there is plenty of tasty chicken in every bite. This equates to around 1 large chicken breast or 2 smaller sized breasts.
-Apple: Add in 1 diced apple for an added crunch and sweetness.
-Milk: You will need ¼ cup of milk to help add more moisture, flavor, and creaminess to the dish.
-Cheese: Use 1 ½ cups of shredded cheddar cheese, divided between the filling and the topping.
-Bacon: For added flavor add in 3 strips of bacon that has been cooked and crumbled.
How to Make Cheesy Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
Spray an 8×8 cooking dish with non-stick spray, set aside.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cook your chicken of choice before you assemble your casserole. This recipe is great for using a store bought rotisserie chicken, it tastes amazing and cuts out a lot of the work. You can also put your chicken in a crockpot to cook during the day to speed this process up.
You also need to fry up the bacon, you can do it in the beginning or while the dish is baking. Cook and crumble it for the garnish.
Mix & Assemble
In the prepared baking dish, combine the Wild Rice & seasoning packet, chicken broth, cooked and diced chicken, diced apple, milk, and 1 cup of shredded cheese. Stir gently.
Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Then, remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Next, top casserole with remaining ½ cup cheese and crumbled bacon.
Bake an additional 5 minutes.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
CHEESY WILD RICE CASSEROLE
- 1 6 oz box Uncle Ben's® Long Grain & Wild Rice Original or Fast Cook
- 1 1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups diced chicken cooked
- 1 cup diced apple
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 3 sliced cooked crumbled bacon
- Spray an 8×8 cooking dish with non-stick spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook your chicken of choice before you assemble your casserole. This recipe isgreat for using a store bought rotisserie chicken, it tastes amazing and cutsout a lot of the work. You can also put your chicken in a crockpot to cookduring the day to speed this process up.
- You also need to fry up the bacon, you can do it in the beginning or whilethe dish is baking. Cook and crumble it for the garnish.
Mix & Assemble
- In the prepared baking dish, combine the Wild Rice & seasoning packet,chicken broth, cooked and diced chicken, diced apple, milk, and 1 cup ofshredded cheese. Stir gently.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Then, remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Next, top casserole with remaining ½ cup cheese and crumbled bacon. Bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
How long is cheesy chicken and rice casserole good for?
You can keep the leftovers from this dish stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 or 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or over the stove, maybe even sprinkle a little more cheese on it for a refresher.
What goes with creamy chicken and rice casserole?
Because this dish is a whole meal, you don’t really need a lot to go with it. Although, what would be great to pair alongside it would be some cooked veggies like roasted cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, or broccoli.
Can I freeze cheesy chicken and rice casserole?
You sure can! This is a great recipe to freeze for use later, the ingredients will hold up well after being frozen and reheated. This is a great dish to meal plan with, you can freeze and use over the course of a couple weeks or months. Be sure to defrost and then reheat, that will help keep the moisture of the dish intact.
Check out these other delicious casserole recipes
- HASH BROWN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- MAPLE PECAN SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
- CHICKEN BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
- TACO CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
- HOLIDAY HAM & CHEESE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- TWICE BAKED POTATO CASSEROLE
- CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE
- CHICKEN TORTILLA CHIP CASSEROLE
- CHEESY BAKED EGG CASSEROLE
- BUFFALO CHICKEN TATERTOT CASSEROLE
Packed with sweet and savory flavors, cheese, and wild rice, this cheesy wild rice casserole is a perfect dinner option for fall.