Maple Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole made with sweet potatoes, maple syrup, pecans, & marshmallows of course! Classic side dish perfect for holiday tables, feasts, and indulgent weeknight meals.
Sweet potato casseroles are always a huge hit around the holidays, especially in the south but they can be a fun weekend dish throughout the year too. This dish only takes a bit of prep and waiting but everything is worth it in the end for a bite of that sweet and crunchy casserole packed with flavor.
Sweet potato casseroles
Sweet potato casseroles are often a baked side dish consisting of sweet potatoes, butter, and sugar. Often topped with mini marshmallows these casseroles are unlike anything else because every bite is sweet, savory, toasted, and truly perfect. We are going to pack a lot of taste into every bite in this maple pecan casserole so make sure there’s enough to share!
Maple pecan sweet potato casserole ingredients
-Butter: You will need 4 tablespoons of butter to make a rich-tasting syrup for the potatoes.
-Sweet potatoes: Use 3 or 4 large-sized sweet potatoes that have been peeled and cubed (about 1-inch pieces).
-Milk: Using ½ cup of milk will give us more moisture and rich flavors.
-Brown sugar: Make the syrup nice and sweet with ¼ cup of brown sugar.
-Vanilla: Add in a teaspoon of vanilla extract for flavor enhancement.
-Eggs: By using two eggs in the casserole we really help to take the flavors up a notch.
-Maple syrup: You will need 2 tablespoons of maple syrup plus more for topping.
-Pecans: Once cup of pecans is plenty. You can use chopped or whole depending on what you want.
-Marshmallows: ½ cup of mini marshmallows will give us a wonderfully sweet and toasty flavor perfect for our side dish.
How to make Maple pecan sweet potato casserole
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot of water, add your peeled and cubed sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat and then lower the heat to a simmer and cook until tender. This should be about 15-20 minutes. Drain the pot.
In the pot, with the potatoes, add in your butter, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. Mash the potatoes until smooth.
In a bowl, beat the eggs until well mixed and then add them to the potatoes until well combined.
Pour your mixture into a buttered 2-quart baking dish.
Sprinkle the pecans evenly over the top.
Drizzle the top with more maple syrup and then bake for 35-40 minutes.
Remove from oven and immediately top with marshmallows.
You can place the dish back into the oven under the broiler to lightly toast the marshmallows if desired. Be careful and do not take your eyes off of them or else they can burn.
Maple Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 TBSP butter
- 4 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 TBSP maple syrup, plus more for topping
- 1 cup pecans
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add your peeled and cubed sweet potatoes to a large pot of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain.
- To the pot with the potatoes add your butter, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
- Mash the sweet potatoes until smooth.
- Beat your 2 eggs and quickly stir into the potatoes until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle the pecans all over the top evenly.
- Drizzle maple syrup over the top of the pecans (about another 2 tablespoons).
- Bake about 35-40 minutes and remove from oven. Top immediately with marshmallows.
- You can place the dish back in the oven under the broiler to slightly brown the marshmallows but don’t take your eyes off them or they will burn! Enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
What to serve with sweet potato casserole
These casseroles are often served at your holiday feasts so serving it alongside a roasted ham or turkey and all the fixin’s is a great idea. For non-holiday meals just serving it alongside a roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, or other “Sunday night” meals can be a great idea.
Can I use yams instead of sweet potatoes?
While I have not tried this recipe with yams instead of sweet potatoes, both can be used interchangeably. The flavor difference is minimal as sweet potatoes and yams are often interchanged without people even realizing it.
More sweet potato recipes to enjoy
- BAKED SWEET POTATO FRIES
- MASHED SWEET POTATOES w/ MAPLE CINNAMON BUTTER
- HOW TO BAKE SWEET POTATOES
- SWEET POTATO BISCUITS
- LOADED MEXICAN CHICKEN SWEET POTATO FRIES
- SLOW COOKER SWEET POTATOES & CRANBERRIES
You’re going to love this sweet potato casserole with maple syrup and pecans. Every bite is a flavorful experience worthy of being the star of the show!