Southwest Breakfast Casserole is a hearty, filling and delicious dish that everyone in your family is sure to enjoy! This sausage egg casserole is a great solution for busy weekday mornings or even holiday weekends spent with family.
This breakfast casserole recipe is pretty simple to make, with some minor prep work you will be on your way to baking a savory and delightful dish. Give this hash brown breakfast casserole a try the next time your have company and need to feed a crowd!
Easy Breakfast Casserole
Breakfast is easily my favorite meal of the day, I can’t get enough of it. I am known to “go all out” even on ordinary days when it comes to breakfast. I much prefer savory over sweet in the morning so this breakfast casserole is heaven for me. You can even make it the night before then cook it in the morning. It has great flavor and everyone devours it quickly.
WHY WE THINK YOU WILL LOVE THIS BREAKFAST RECIPE!
Here are our top reasons why we think this amazing breakfast will become a regular go-to recipe in your house.
- Tasty ingredients. This breakfast casserole is packed with so many amazing flavors and textures, it tastes absolutely incredible. The list of ingredients is not too extensive either, it is likely you have some of the items needed already in your kitchen.
- Prep ahead to enjoy later. I love this recipe because you can prepare the casserole ahead of time to bake and enjoy later. This is a great recipe to make the night before, then pop it in the oven first thing in the morning and voila, a wonderful breakfast is ready to enjoy!
- Versatile recipe. A great thing about this recipe is that you can adjust it to your families taste. If you prefer a specific kind of sausage, use it. Or if you do not like green chiles, leave them out. Have a favorite cheese? Add that in too! Really, you can adjust the ingredients as needed to make this a fantastic dish for YOUR family.
Southwest Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
Sausage: You will need one 16-ounce package of ground pork breakfast sausage for the protein in this sensational breakfast dish.
Eggs: For the base of this recipe, you need 12 eggs.
Cream of mushroom: Adding in one 10.75-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup will give this casserole great flavor.
Milk: Use 1 cup of milk to help make the egg mixture creamy and fluffy.
Green chiles: By adding in one 7-ounce can of diced green chiles will give this breakfast amazing taste and a punch of heat.
Potatoes: You need 1/2 (32 ounce) package frozen potato rounds or hash browns for this recipe.
Cheese: Add in 1 cup of shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided, for some amazing cheesy taste and texture.
Cumin: For great seasoning, you will need 1/2 teaspoon of cumin.
Peppers: Adding in ¼ cup of diced red bell pepper or roasted red peppers for a great pop of color and taste.
How to make Southwest Breakfast Casserole
Start by placing the ground sausage in a skillet, over medium-high heat, and cook until evenly brown. Drain the grease and set the meat aside.
Next, get the oven preheating to 375 degrees F. Then lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. I used a large springform pan lined with foil this time, just for fun!
In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, condensed cream of mushroom soup, green chiles, cumin and milk. After that, place the frozen hash browns and cooked sausage in the prepared baking dish. Then sprinkle the top with half of the cheese. Proceed to pour the egg mixture over the top and lightly stir the ingredients with a fork to combine.
Continue to put the dish in the preheated oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until set. Then sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Top with salsa, if desired, serve and enjoy!
SOUTHWEST BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- 1 16 ounce package ground pork breakfast sausage
- 12 eggs
- 1 10.75 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 7 ounce can diced green chiles
- ½ 32 ounce package frozen potato rounds or hash browns
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese divided
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper or roasted red peppers
- Prep: Start by placing the ground sausage in a skillet, over medium-high heat, and cook until evenly brown. Drain the grease and set the meat aside.
- Next, get the oven preheating to 375 degrees F. Then lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. I used a large springform pan lined with foil this time, just for fun!
- Assemble: In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, condensed cream of mushroom soup, green chiles, cumin and milk. After that, place the frozen hash browns and cooked sausage in the prepared baking dish. Then sprinkle the top with half of the cheese. Proceed to pour the egg mixture over the top and lightly stir the ingredients with a fork to combine.
- Bake: Continue to put the dish in the preheated oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until set. Then sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Top with salsa, if desired, serve and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
HOW LONG IS THIS BREAKFAST CASSEROLE GOOD FOR?
This breakfast dish will last in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You need to store it in an airtight container to keep it fresh. Reheat individual servings in the microwave for 45-60 seconds as needed.
Can you freeze Southwest Breakfast Casserole?
You sure can freeze this dish or any left overs you may have. Store it in an airtight container and it can be frozen for up to 2 months. When you are ready to enjoy, thaw overnight in the fridge and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes to heat it all the way through.
WHAT OTHER INGREDIENTS CAN I ADD TO THIS CASSEROLE?
If you want to shake up this breakfast dish, you can always change up the type of meat you add to it. I love bacon so that is my number one go-to breakfast meat. Cook it ahead of time in the oven and crumble it and add into the egg mixture. You can also add in small chunks of tomatoes if you’d like, that would be yummy. For more amazing flavor, you can top each serving with sliced avocado too!
Try more delicious breakfast recipes here!
- German Pancakes
- Coconut Chocolate Chip Scones
- Weekday Waffles
- Easy Cinnamon Roll Waffles
- Oatmeal Peach Muffins
- Lightened Up Birthday Cake Pancakes
- Whole Wheat Dark Chocolate Strawberry Waffles
- Sausage Rolls
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Lemon Crepes with Strawberry Syrup
- Easy 15-Minute Maple Bars
- Incredible Ham & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 3-Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Easier-to-Eat Monkey Bread
- Vanilla Orange Waffles with Butter Syrup
- Easy Chocolate Glazed Donuts
- Breakfast Pancake Pizzas
Southwest Breakfast Casserole is a delicious and filling dish that your family is sure to enjoy! This sausage egg casserole is a fantastic solution for hectic weekday mornings or holiday weekends spent with family.
This looks right up my alley. We all love sausage, but I’ve never made a breakfast casserole with a Mexican twist. This one looks soooo yummy!
This looks so filling!