Enjoy a “fancy” new treat this spring/summer with the help of colored chocolates and pretzels. These chocolate butterfly and dragonfly pretzels are absolutely gorgeous and as much fun to make as they are to eat.
I saw this idea to make butterflies and dragonflies out of pretzels not too long ago. I’m a big fan of pretzels- I love how inexpensive they are and how good they taste when covered in chocolate! My kids absolutely adored these. We had just as much fun making them as we did eating them. I think they’d be darling cupcake toppers too!
What are butterfly pretzels?
These fun chocolate coated pretzel treats are arranged and shaped to look like beautiful little butterflies and dragonflies. They’re a great treat for spring and summer and can really make a smile on anyone’s face. They taste great and look awesome too
Dragonfly & Butterfly Pretzels Ingredients
-Mini Pretzels: We want to use the mini pretzels (the ones in the traditional bean-like shape) because those will act as the wings for our insects.
-Stick Pretzels: This is the body of your butterflies and dragonflies so we want them to be the thin pretzels sticks, not thick rods.
-Colored Chocolate: You can use 4 different color options of colored candy melts or you can use colored white chocolate. Note that water-based food coloring will not work so the gel kind is best to prevent chocolate seizing if DIYing it.
-Sprinkles: Use your favorite festive sprinkles to add a glittering touch to our butterflies and dragonflies.
How to make dragonfly and butterfly pretzels
Put the candy melts into separate bowls and microwave for about 1 minute to melt. Add in 30 seconds and let sit until mostly melted. Stir to finish melting them together until smooth. Do not overheat or the chocolate will seize.
Dip the pretzels in the colors that you would like and arrange them together on a parchment-lined baking sheet or wax paper. Place the stick pretzel in the middle with either 2 or 4 mini pretzel wings, set at an angle beside the stick.
Sprinkle on any fun sprinkles you have and let cool until set.
- mini pretzels
- stick pretzels
- 4 different colors Candy Melts*
- colored sprinkle
- Pour candies in separate glass or ceramic bowls and microwave for each separately for 1 minute to melt.
- Add 30 seconds and then let sit until mostly melted. (A glass or ceramic bowl will held the heat in better and help the candies to melt better.)
- Stir to melt the rest of the way. (You really don't want to overheat these, or any chocolate for that matter! It seizes and the result is a thick, clumpy mess!)
- Dip the pretzels in the colors you'd like, then arrange them together on parchment paper sheets (or wax paper) to make either a butterfly or dragonfly. You can use forks to dip them but I love my Wilton Dipping Tools! The stick pretzels go in the middle with either 2 or 4 mini pretzels angled against it on the sides.
- Sprinkle on any fun candy decorations you have. Let cool fully until solid.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How long are chocolate coated pretzels good for?
These pretzels could last about a week or two if stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Can I freeze chocolate coated pretzels?
Yes, you can freeze them in an airtight container for up to a few months and thaw them on the counter a few minutes before eating, but keep something in mind. As the chocolate thaws it will “sweat” which can cause sprinkle colors to run and the butterflies to look less pretty, while still tasting great.
More treat recipes like this
- WHITE CHRISTMAS TREE PRETZELS
- PEANUT BUTTER EASTER EGGS
- ROLO PRETZEL TURTLES
- MINI LEMON DROP CUPCAKES
- EASY PUMPKIN PRETZELS
- FLOWER POT COOKIES
- MARSHMALLOW CHOCOLATE COVERED PRETZELS
- BUTTERFLY CUPCAKES
- CARAMEL PRETZEL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM PIE
- HALLOWEEN MUMMY PRETZELS
- STRAWBERRY BANANA ICE CREAM FLOAT
- SHAMROCK PRETZELS
- FRUITY SUMMERTIME TREATS
- SPRING KRISPIE TREATS
Chocolate butterfly pretzels are an easy snack or treat that is perfect for Spring and parties. With easy recipes like this, you’ll have the perfect treat for sharing or brightening up your child’s day.