Banana cream muddy buddies are a version you won’t soon want to live without. With this easy puppy chow-like recipe on hand, you’ll always have a recipe worthy of sharing.
We’re big fans of muddy buddies here at our house and I’m always looking for new variations. I took our Lemon Muddy Buddies and made a few tweaks and the results are delicious. If you like banana cream pie, you have to try these! They’re so good. Best served the day you make them- I don’t think they hold up as well as traditional muddy buddies, but you’ll quickly see just how irresistible they are. They’re perfect for picnics or parties.
What are banana cream muddy buddies?
They’re a combination of flavors and ingredients that rival that of the more famous puppy chow or muddy buddy recipes out there. With as many muddy buddy recipes as we have on hand here on this site, we sure do know a thing or two about what we’re talking about when we praise this cereal mixture. Made with white chocolate, Chex cereal, and banana pudding mix we get a wonderful combination of creamy flavors and then some. Every bite is crisp, sweet, and so hard to beat!
Banana Cream Pie Muddy Buddies Ingredients
-Chex cereal: We need 6 cups of Chex mix cereal for the base of this muddy buddy mixture. You can use rice, corn, or other plain versions depending on preference.
-Butter: We want 1/2 cup (one stick) of butter to help us achieve a rich texture and flavor.
-White chocolate chips: We need to use 1 cup of white chocolate chips, or almond bark to get a “creamy” flavor to pair with the banana one we’re adding in.
-Condensed milk: With 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk, this mix will be sweet and thick enough to hold together well.
-Milk: Just a tablespoon of milk is all we need to help give us a better texture with our melted chocolate.
-Pudding mix: We want to use 1 small box (about 3 ounce in size) banana pudding mix. JUST the dry mix.
-Powdered sugar: We need 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, added a little at a time to help us achieve a perfectly coated batch of cereal.
How to make banana cream pie muddy buddies
Measure the cereal into a large bowl and set it aside.
Combine the butter, white chocolate chips, milk, and sweetened condensed milk in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Continue to stir until smooth.
Add in the dry pudding mix and stir to combine.
Remove the mixture from the heat. Note that you can also cook the mixture together in a microwave, see recipe card for details.
Pour your melted sugary mixture over the top of the cereal and toss to coat.
Toss with the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time until you reach the desired “coating” of powdered sugar. I added 1/2 cup, lay the mix down on waxed paper, and dusted with more powdered sugar as I found it easier this way.
Let the cereal mix cool for about 10 minutes, stir lightly, and dust with the remaining 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
Store in an airtight container.
- 6 cups Chex cereal
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white chocolate chips*
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 TBSP milk
- 1 small box Banana Cream pudding mix
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, measure cereal and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine butter, white chocolate chips, milk and sweetened condensed milk over medium heat. Continue stirring until smooth, add the pudding mix and stir to combine. Remove from heat. (You can cheat and microwave the mixture in a glass bowl for 1 minute 25 seconds. Stir, then heat for another 20 seconds.) Pour over cereal and carefully stir to coat. Toss with powdered sugar. Add a 1/2 cup at a time and you will reach your desired “coating” of powdered sugar. I found it easier to add 1/2 cup, then spread it out on waxed paper, then dusted another 1/2 cup on. Let cool about 10 minutes, lightly stir, then dust the remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar on top.
- Store in an airtight container.
- *Instead of white chocolate chips, you can use vanilla bark like I did! Just use as close to 8 oz as possible- 4 to 5 squares should be correct, depending on how many ounces are in each square.
How long is banana cream muddy buddies good for?
This mixture is best eaten the same day that it is made. In the following days, even if stored in an airtight container the mixture may feel soggy, stale, or extra chewy. While it will still taste good, the actual texture will be different from expected and may hinder the results. So make sure you’re ready to eat and share when you whip up your next batch.
Am I using instant pudding mix for these muddy buddies?
Yes, we will be using a box of instant dry pudding mix. Do not prepare the pudding as directed on the box! We ONLY want the powdery stuff in the box as that gives us the most perfect flavor and texture.
ENJOY MUDDY BUDDIES & CHEX MIX RECIPES? TRY THESE:
- LEMON MUDDY BUDDIES
- HOW TO MAKE MUDDY BUDDIES
- EASY PEPPERMINT CHEX MIX
- CHRISTMAS MUDDY BUDDIES
- STRAWBERRY LEMONADE CHEX MIX
- MINT MUDDY BUDDIES
- LEMON MUDDY BUDDIES
- HARVEST CHEX MIX
- GOOEY HOLIDAY CHEX MIX
- EASY PEPPERMINT CHEX MIX
- WHITE CHOCOLATE GINGERBREAD CHEX MIX
- FUNFETTI CHEX MIX RECIPE
- STRAWBERRY VALENTINE CHEX MIX
- WHITE CHOCOLATE CHEX MIX
- BANANA CREAM PIE MUDDY BUDDIES
Banana cream muddy buddies are an easy to make cereal treat that’s perfect for any occasion. Made with just a few ingredients, this dish is sweet, creamy, crisp, and fun.