Alien Pretzels made from candy coated mini pretzels with a paranormal twist! Perfect for Halloween or anytime you need a spooky, creepy treat!
Alien Pretzels for Halloween are cute and well, okay, they’re fairly creepy too! Easy to make and fun to eat. Get creative and use a variety of colors and chocolates. Although these look more like zombie pretzels, they are still pretty fun ways to enjoy a salty-sweet snack.
What are alien pretzels?
They’re chocolate covered pretzels with candy eyes and colored to look like creepy little Martians from outer space. With a little effort, a few simple ingredients, and a bit of creativity and patience you can have an entire batch of fun alien pretzels. They make the perfect snack for a party, Halloween, or to simply surprise the kids, because let’s be honest- no one expects to get a plate full of green pretzels staring back at you. Haha.
Alien Pretzel Ingredients
-Mini Pretzels: Make sure to get the round pretzels like I have shown because they have three holes that are perfect for eyes and a mouth.
-Chocolates: You’re going to need semi-sweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or colored candy melts.
-Coconut Oil: If you use chocolate chips instead of candy melts, you’ll need coconut oil or shortening to help thin the melted chocolate out for covering the pretzels well.
-Food Coloring: Orange and green food coloring are perfect for these aliens if you aren’t using colored candy melts.
-Round Candies: These will be the eyeballs, I’ve found that Sixlets work great and fit perfectly, but you can choose a different candy if preferred.
How to Make Alien Pretzels
In a glass bowl, pour ¾ cup of white chocolate chips and ½ tsp of coconut oil.
Microwave on high for 1 minute and let the bowl rest in the closed microwave for another minute. Stir the chocolate gently and then return to the microwave for another burst of 15 minutes if needed.
Divide the chocolate into small bowls and add green food coloring to one and stir.
Dip each pretzel into the bowl of chocolate, gently tapping the edge of the bowl to release the excess chocolate.
Lay the covered pretzel down on a piece of wax paper, and using a small knife, clear the chocolate out of the bottom hole of the pretzel to make the mouth.
Place the semi-sweet chocolates into a small baggie and microwave for 40 seconds or until they’re melted.
Cut the corner off of the bag, and then pipe the chocolate into the top two pretzel holes, filling in the alien eyeballs.
Place the round candies on the top of the chocolate, and repeat this process with the white chocolate chips and continue until all of the pretzels have been completed.
Let the completed pretzels cool to set.
Once set, you can eat them or store them in an airtight container.
- Mini pretzels
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (or candy melts*)
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil (or shortening)
- green & orange food coloring
- round chocolate candies (Sixlets work well!)
- 3 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Place 3/4 cup white chocolate chips in a glass bowl along with 1/2 tsp coconut oil.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute. Let sit in the microwave for an additional minute. Stir gently, then return to the microwave for 15 seconds, if needed.
- Divide chocolate and add green coloring to one of the bowls and stir gently.
- Dip each pretzel into the bowl of chocolate, gently tapping the edge of the bowl to release excess chocolate.
- Lay the covered pretzel down on a piece of wax paper. Use a small knife to clear the chocolate from the bottom hole of the pretzel, which will be the Alien mouth.
- Place the semi sweet chocolate in a small baggie. Microwave for 40 seconds, or until melted. Cut the corner of the bag and pipe chocolate into the top 2 pretzel holes, filling in the alien eyes. Place round candies on top of chocolate.
- Repeat this process with the remaining white chocolate chips. You can leave them white and use this chocolate to fill in the eyes of the green alien pretzels, or you can separate it and color some chocolate orange to decorate the eyes. Let completed pretzels cool to set.
- Repeat the process until you have the desired amount of alien pretzels, re-heating up the chocolate as necessary. Store in an airtight container to save.
How long are chocolate covered pretzels good for?
If you keep your chocolate covered pretzels in an airtight container at room temperature, then you can expect them to last as long as 3 weeks! The older they become the staler they may seem if exposed to too much air during that time, but chocolate doesn’t really expire and pretzels have a very long shelf life, so this treat lasts awhile!
How can I dip these pretzels flawlessly?
Dipping anything in chocolate is going to be a messy (but tasty) work of art. Nothing will be 100% perfect on the first try but it really does help to have a dipping tool handy. These are designed to help dip things in chocolates (or fondues) with little to no hand to chocolate contact.
Can I freeze chocolate covered pretzels?
While you technically could, I do not recommend it. The color coating on the eyeballs will run when thawing and the chocolate will sweat so they won’t look as pretty. Not only that, but the pretzels will become stale when frozen. Due to the long shelf life at room temperature, keeping them stored that way is the best for optimal results.
Like this Halloween Recipe? Here are a few more cute and creepy Halloween Treats:
- Halloween Pretzels 3 Ways
- Funfetti Halloween Cookies
- Halloween Popcorn
- Scaredy Cat Cookies
- OREO Owl Cupcakes
- Bloody Shirley Temple
- Halloween Peanut Butter Cookie Pizza
- Halloween Sprinkle Cookies
- Halloween Cream Sodas
- Easy Halloween Cake Pops
- Halloween Candy Corn Granola Bars
- Halloween Mummy Pretzels
- Chocolate Chip Spider Cookies
- Haunted Haystacks
- Funfetti Halloween Cookies
A creative and fun paranormal treat like these alien pretzels isn’t hard to make. You’re going to love these chocolate covered pretzel treats!