Haunted Haystacks are made easily with butterscotch chips, smooth peanut butter and mini marshmallows. These butterscotch haystacks only need 5 simple ingredients to create this festive Halloween treat!
Make this delicious and easy Halloween treat for your next holiday event or for your kids school party, they are sure to be a huge hit! For all the creepy and spooky holiday lovers out there, this haystacks recipe is perfect for you!
Spooky Haystack Treats
Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year, I love all the fall flavors and spooky treats. I love to get creative with each holiday and come up with fun, creative recipes to try out. They haystacks are so easy to make and I love that they really only require a few ingredients. Get your kids involved and let them help, it makes the process go really fast and it is such a fun activity. These Haunted Haystacks will be the the favorite treat this year for Halloween!
WHY YOU’LL ENJOY THESE HAUNTED HAYSTACKS
We have narrowed down our top three reasons why we think this incredibly delicious and spooky recipe will be loved in your house.
- Simple ingredients. You do not need many ingredients to make this recipe. In fact, you only need 5 ingredients to make this festive Halloween treat.
- They taste amazing. This sweet and delicious butterscotch treat has great flavor and is a dessert lovers dream come true.
- Festive and fun. Make this dessert for your next holiday event or to gift to friends and neighbors. These haystacks are a great addition to any Halloween treat table, everyone will love the silly eyeballs and great taste!
Haunted Haystacks Ingredients
Butterscotch chips: For amazing flavor use 1 cup of butterscotch chips for this festive recipe.
Peanut butter: You will need 1/4 cup of creamy peanut butter to help bind all the ingredients together.
Chow mein noodles: To create the “haystack” part of this spooky recipe, use 2 cups of chow mein noodles.
Marshmallows: Adding in 3/4 cup of mini marshmallows gives this treat amazing texture and taste.
Candy eyeballs: Use candy eyeballs to give these haystacks a fun and silly appearance, you will need about 48 total. I also think they look better if you use 2 different sizes of candy eyeballs, but you can decide for yourself.
Step by step on how to make Haunted Haystacks
Start by lining a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat, set aside.
In a glass bowl, melt the butterscotch chips in the microwave for about 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds. Stir the mixture gently, until smooth, then add the peanut butter, stirring once more to combine well.
Next, add in the chow mein noodles and mini marshmallows, stir well to coat the ingredients fully.
After that, drop the mixture by the rounded tablespoonfuls onto the parchment paper. Then, arrange the candy eyeballs on one side of each treat, let cool for 10-15 minutes to set.
If you want to make the purple, white and green Haunted Haystacks as shown in the pictures, melt 1/3 cup of candy melts in a glass bowl (about 30-60 seconds in the microwave) then add 1/2 cup chow mein noodles and 2 TBSP mini marshmallows. Stir to coat, drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper. Arrange candy eyeballs on each treat, then let cool to set.
Tip for Haunted Treats
You can find a variety of candy eyeballs, as well as the colored candy melts, at craft stores like Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, or Joann’s. You can also find them at Walmart in the cake decorating aisle. Most grocery stores have at least 1 size of candy eyeballs, I loved using the small and large ones for these treats. The silly eyeballs are just the perfect addition to these festive and tasty haystacks!
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups chow mein noodles
- ¾ cup mini marshmallows
- candy eyeballs
- Prep: Start by lining a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat, set aside.
- Assembly: In a glass bowl, melt the butterscotch chips in the microwave for about 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds. Stir the mixture gently, until smooth, then add the peanut butter, stirring once more to combine well.
- Next, add in the chow mein noodles and mini marshmallows, stir well to coat the ingredients fully. After that, drop the mixture by the rounded tablespoonfuls onto the parchment paper. Then, arrange the candy eyeballs on one side of each treat, let cool for 10-15 minutes to set. Serve and enjoy!
- Optional: If you want to make the purple, white and green Haunted Haystacks as shown in the pictures, melt 1/3 cup of candy melts in a glass bowl (about 30-60 seconds in the microwave) then add 1/2 cup chow mein noodles and 2 TBSP mini marshmallows. Stir to coat, drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper. Arrange candy eyeballs on each treat, then let cool to set.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How long are butterscotch haystacks good for?
These treats will last 3-5 days, if stored properly in an airtight container or sealed zip locked bag. They can be stored at room temperature as long as that room is not too hot. You can also store in the refrigerator if you like them at a more chilled temperature. Either way you eat them they will be amazing.
HOW DO YOU MELT CHOCOLATE IN THE MICROWAVE?
Melting chocolate in the microwave is easy if you go slowly. Always use a glass or ceramic bowl and chocolate that’s not old.
To melt 1 cup of chocolate chips I’d begin with 1 minute in the microwave. After the 1 minute, let chocolate sit for 2-3 minutes.
Gently stir and see if chocolate begins to melt smooth. If it’s still really solid, add 20 seconds in the microwave, then let it sit again.
Often chocolate looks like it’s not melted when it really is, and you don’t know for sure until you gently stir it.
If your chocolate melts but it’s too thick to work with, try adding 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil or shortening, then letting it melt and stirring it in.
We also have compiled all of our BEST Halloween recipes and formatted them as printable recipe cards for your convenience! You can download all of them immediately right here!
Like this Halloween Recipe? Here are a few more we love:
- Easy Halloween Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Cute & Creepy Halloween Treats
- Funfetti Halloween Cookies
- Halloween Popcorn
- Halloween Chocolate Chip Spider cookies
- Easy 3-Ingredient Ghost Halloween Cookies
- Scaredy Cat Cookies
- OREO Owl Cupcakes
- Bloody Shirley Temple
- Halloween Sprinkle Cookies
Haunted Haystacks are made simply with smooth peanut butter, butterscotch chips and mini marshmallows. These butterscotch haystacks call for only 5 simple ingredients to create this spooky Halloween treat!
Alli @ Cupcake Diaries says
These are seriously my favorite. What a cute idea!! And I love that you used different sized eyes. Super cute! Thanks so much for participating in the series again!!
Roxanne Jereczek says
do you add marshmellows and peanut butter to the colored ones? It doesn’t say any thing about adding those.
Yes on the marshmallows, no one the peanut butter! I just added a small handful of marshmallows- about 2 TBSP. 🙂
Martha Merza says
So you don’t use the butterscotch chips either in the colored ones? Just the chow mein noodles, colored wafers/mini marshmallows?