Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes are an epic mashup of two classic recipes! These philly cheesesteak sloppy joes are simple to make, loaded with gooey cheese, & have amazing flavor!
Philly cheesesteak slow cooker is made with just a few ingredients, this savory dish comes together quickly and is a great weeknight meal. Serve your slow cooker philly cheesesteak between hamburger buns or sub sandwich buns, however you choose, these will be a big hit either way!
Easy Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
This is one weeknight dinner the whole family can agree on, this is sure to be a recipe you will repeat often! With these ground beef cheesesteak sloppy joes, you have a dish that can feed the crew without complaints or a lot of hassle. With the simple steps of browning some meat and tossing everything into the crockpot for a few hours to simmer. Every bite gives you that classic taste of a great Philly cheesesteak but with the ease of serving up sloppy joes!
Why you will love these Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes!
There are many reasons to love this recipe but here are the top 3 reasons why we love it and think you will too.
- It can be made ahead of time. This recipe can be prepared in advance by browning the meat, onions, and peppers beforehand and keeping them in the fridge or freezer until needed. Then simply toss everything into the slow cooker together and cook as directed.
- Adjustable ingredients. You can adapt this recipe to your own taste buds and really customize it to make it your own. Use ground turkey instead of ground hamburger or even add in some mushrooms if you like.
- It can be made quickly. Fast prep dinners are always welcomed and you can shave off some serious prep time by simply using frozen peppers and onions instead of fresh ones. Just toss them into the slow cooker without sautéing since they will soften as they cook.
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes Ingredients
Ground beef: Use 1 pound of lean ground beef for the base of this meaty sandwich filling.
Onion: You will need 1 small diced onion for wonderful flavor in the meat mixture.
Bell pepper: Adding 1 diced small green bell pepper will help to make this sloppy joe mixture taste more like a Philly cheesesteak.
Worcestershire sauce: You will need 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce to make the meat mixture taste incredible.
Salt: To help make the filling taste even better, use ½ teaspoon of salt to enhance the flavors.
Pepper: Use ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper to flavor the filling.
Cornstarch: Using 1 tablespoon of cornstarch will help the filling to thicken nicely.
Broth: You will need ½ cup of beef broth to help add flavor to the filling mixture.
Cheese: 6 slices of provolone cheese is enough for 6 delicious sandwiches. You can use any cheese you like, American, mozzarella, or even cheez-whiz.
Buns: You will need burger buns (any type) to serve your meaty filling with. I love using brioche buns or onion buns, but these would also be great in a sub bun.
How to make Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
Start by dicing your onion and bell pepper into small pieces, transfer to a large skillet.
Then, combine the ground beef with the onions and bell pepper, cook on the stove over medium-high heat until the meat is browned.
Next, drain the grease from the meat mixture and put it all into your slow cooker.
After that, add in the cornstarch, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine.
Proceed to cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
About 15 minutes before serving time, place the sliced cheese on top of the meat mixture and let melt and then stir the sloppy joe filling and cheese together.
When you are ready to serve, scoop out the filling and place it onto your bread buns.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
What to Serve with Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
Sloppy joes are usually served up with simple side dishes like french fries, BAKED SWEET POTATO FRIES, or even EASY FRIED CHEESE STRAWS would be good too. Potato chips, green salads, or fresh veggies are also good ideas but EASY CORN ON THE COB is great for those summer months when it’s easier to find fresh corn.
Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 TBSP cornstarch
- ½ cup beef broth
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 6 Buns
- Start by dicing your onion and bellpepper into small pieces, transfer to a large skillet.
- Then, combine the ground beef with the onions and bell pepper, cook on the stove over medium-high heat until the meat is browned.
- Next, drain the grease from the meat mixture and put it all into your slow cooker.
- After that, add in the cornstarch, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Proceed to cook on low heat for 4-6hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving time, place the sliced cheese on top of the meat mixture and let melt and then stir the sloppy joe filling and cheese together.
- When you are ready to serve, scoop out the filling and place it onto your bread buns. Serve & enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can I make Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes in an Instant Pot?
Yes, this recipe can be made in your Instant Pot if desired. Simply brown up the ground beef, onion, and bell peppers on Saute mode then turn it off and drain the grease. Add the remaining ingredients to your Instant Pot (except for the cheese) and add the lid, seal the vent, and turn it on to High Pressure for 2 minutes. Let it Natural Pressure release for 5 minutes before removing the lid and stirring in the cheese until melted. Then serve between buns.
How far in advance can I make Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak?
This Philly cheesesteak crockpot recipe can be meal planned up to 3 months in advance. Just mix the cooked ground beef, onions, and bell peppers into an airtight container with the remaining ingredients (except for the cheese) and freeze for up to 3 months. Then thaw the mixture and add to slow cooker and cook as directed.
How long will Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes last?
You should store the cooked cheesesteak meat in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When stored properly, this cooked meat will stay fresh for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Long enough to enjoy leftovers for lunch!
Here Are Some More Slow Cooker Recipes to Check Out Soon
- SLOW COOKER BROWN SUGAR CINNAMON PORK ROAST
- CROCK POT HAM
- SLOW COOKER ROOT BEER BBQ CHICKEN
- EASY CROCK POT HAWAIIAN CHICKEN
- SLOW COOKER FRENCH ONION SOUP
- SIMPLE CROCK POT APPLESAUCE
- SLOW COOKER BBQ PULLED PORK
- COOKIES AND CREAM CROCKPOT LAVA CAKE
- SLOW COOKER DR PEPPER ROAST
- CROCKPOT HAWAIIAN KALUA PORK
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN ALFREDO SOUP
- CROCKPOT SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS
Bringing together two classic dishes is this slow cooker Philly cheesesteak sloppy joes recipe. Made to taste like a Philly cheesesteak but with all the ease and simplicity of a sloppy joe, this is one dinner dish the whole family will love.
Leave a Reply