Easy Fried Cheese Straws made with flour, butter, Parmesan cheese & Oregano! These simple Cheese Straws are the perfect side dish for salads & pasta as everyone loves them!
This BEST cheese straws recipe ever and especially delicious if you like deep fried cheese (I mean, who doesn’t?). Making this recipe for cheese straws is easier than you may think and once you see how simple it is, you may find yourself eating them more often.
Southern Cheese Straws
Easy Cheese straws are a delicious deep fried cheese sticks that pack a lot of flavor in every bite. Made from scratch with flour, butter, cheese, and seasonings, these make great snacks and appetizers. Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, this is a snack everyone will practically fight over. Cheese straws are a popular dish in the southern United States and in England, making them an international treat everyone can enjoy. Whip up a batch for your next family gathering, everyone will be pleasantly surprised by this novelty snack!
Why you’ll love this easy Cheese Appetizer
- Easy to make! This recipe is very simple to follow along with, making it a quick and easy dish to whip up for parties or get togethers.
- Basic ingredients. You do not need much to make this recipe, but you will need a few items. You will be surprised how many ingredients you already have in your kitchen.
- 30 minutes or less. With a little prep and a fast cook time, you can easily have this recipe completed in about 30 minutes or less.
Flour: You will need 1 ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour for the bread coating in this recipe.
Salt: Use 1 teaspoon of salt to help bring out the natural flavors in the combined ingredients.
Cheese: You will need ½ cup and 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese powder for a fantastic cheesy taste.
Oregano: For wonderful seasoning to these fried straws, use 1 teaspoon of oregano.
Butter: You will need ¾ cups of melted butter plus 2 more tablespoons to provide the rich and savory taste desired.
Water: Use 2 tablespoons of water to get the dough to the right consistency.
Oil: You will need oil for frying the cheese straws in.
How to make Easy Fried Cheese Straws
Get started by heating some oil in a frying pan, have that heating up while you prepare the dough.
Next, sift your flour into a medium size bowl.
Next, add in the salt, parmesan cheese, and oregano. Mix together using your hands until nice and crumbly.
Then, gradually add in the melted butter and keep mixing until you obtain a soft dough. If the dough is too wet, do not add in the two tablespoons of water, you may not need it.
Continue to knead the dough with your hands for 5 minutes.
After that, roll the dough out to about ¼ inch thick and slice it into long strips.
Begin placing the strips of dough in the heated frying pan. Fry the cheese straws on each side until golden brown in color, this will be about 2-3 minutes on each side. Depending on how hot your oil is will determine the time, keep a close eye on them and flip as needed.
When each side has been fried, remove the straws and place them onto a plate with paper towels to drain the excess grease.
Allow to cool down before serving. Enjoy!
When to Serve Fried Cheese Straws
These fried cheese straws make a fantastic appetizer, or go alongside meals like a bread or side dish. Serve them alongside salads or a light pasta dish for a perfect dinner accompaniment! Really, there is no wrong time to serve up these incredible cheese sticks.
EASY FRIED CHEESE STRAWS
- 1 ¾ cups +2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (10.58 oz| 300 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup +1 tablespoon parmesan cheese powder (5.29 oz | 150 g)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¾ cup +2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (6.70 oz| 190 g)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Oil to fry
- Prep: Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Dough: Start by sifting your flour into a medium size bowl.
- Next, add in the salt, cheese, and oregano. Mix together using your hands until nice and crumbly.
- Then, gradually add in the melted butter and keep mixing until you obtain a soft dough. If the dough is too wet, do not add in the two tablespoons of water. You may not need it.
- Continue to knead the dough together for 5 minutes. After that, roll the dough out to about ¼ inch thick and slice it into long strips.
- Fry: Begin placing the strips of dough in the heated frying pan. Fry the cheese straws on each side until golden brown in color, this will be about 2-3 minutes on each side. Depending on how hot your oil is will determine the time, keep a close eye on them and turn as needed.
- When each side has been fried, remove the straws and place them onto a plate with paper towels to drain the excess grease.
- Allow to cool down before serving. Enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
What cheeses can I use for cheese straws?
You can use so many different cheese options, whatever your favorite is will most likely work great. A good sharp cheddar would be delicious (orange or white), mozzarella would be scrumptious, any aged cheddar would provide a robust flavor to these straws. Just remember to finely grate whatever cheese you do choose to use, you want to create a very fine dough mixture.
Can I make these cheese sticks gluten free?
Yes, you totally can! The easiest way you can make this recipe gluten free by swapping out the all-purpose flour for Bob’s Red Mill Gluten free flour. Of whatever your choice of gluten free flour is. Also make sure, if you switch up the seasonings that those are also gluten free.
How do I store leftover fried cheese sticks?
You can store the leftovers in an airtight container for up to a week at room temperature. When you reheat them you can put them under a broiler for 1-2 minutes to bring them back to life a bit. I do not recommend freezing this cheese stick recipe, they will not hold up well and loose the desired texture.
Check out these other great Cheese Recipes to try:
- BUTTERY CHEESE AND HERB BREAD
- CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE
- THREE CHEESE SOUP
- CHEESY BAKED CHICKEN BREASTS
- SWISS & CHEDDAR CHEESE FONDUE
- CHEESY BREADSTICKS
- CHEDDAR BISCUITS
- CHEESY BISCUIT WREATH
- EASY NACHO CHEESE
- CHEESY BAKED TORTELLINI
- EASY CHEESY GARLIC BREAD
This easy fried cheese straws recipe is fun to make and enjoy. Packed with cheese flavor, crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, every straw is a delicious snack or appetizer.