Sloppy Joe Casserole made with pasta coated in a ground beef, tomato and cheese based sauce, topped with yet more cheese and baked to perfection. Easy weeknight dinner recipe that the whole family will enjoy!
Anyone else feel like the hardest part of cooking is deciding what to make for dinner? We have the same go-to recipes that we eat on a regular rotation, but sometimes I love to try new things to help get us out of a rut. The rut where we eat the same 5 things over and over. I recently tried this Sloppy Joe Casserole and everyone loved it. It’s a little less messy than regular Sloppy Joes because you can eat it with a fork!
SLOPPY JOE CASSEROLE
This dish tastes just like Sloppy Joes, but in a casserole. Sloppy Joe Casserole is a classic comfort food that is easy to make and perfect for feeding a crowd. This simple dinner recipe is made with pasta and ground beef mixed in a homemade tomato based sauce. Add lots of cheese and corn before baking the casserole. This easy casserole recipe has so much flavor and everyone loves it!
Ingredients in Sloppy Joe Casserole
Pasta – You will need a pound of small, bite-sized pasta. I usually use farfalle, but you could use penne or rotini or any other noodle you have on hand.
Olive oil – Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil, or alternatively your preferred frying oil.
Onion – You will need 1 onion, diced up in small pieces. I prefer yellow onions for sloppy joes, but white and red onions work too!
Ground beef – Ground beef is usually used in sloppy joes, but it can be substituted with ground pork, chicken or turkey if desired.
Tomato sauce – You will need a 15 ounce can of tomato sauce to give the sauce that rich, tomato flavor.
Diced tomatoes – Use a 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes. If you’re like my family and you don’t love chunks of tomatoes, you can blend them up first.
Ketchup – Use your preferred brand of ketchup.
Brown sugar – The brown sugar could be substituted with granulated sugar, however brown sugar will give the casserole a richer flavor.
Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper – All of these ingredients add lots of flavor to the sauce. You can swap out the Dijon mustard with one teaspoon of powdered mustard.
Corn – You will need a 15 ounce can of corn. Make sure to drain well before adding to the casserole.
Velveeta cheese – The recipe calls for 8 ounces of Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes. The smaller the Velveeta cheese is cut, the quicker it will melt. You can swap this out with cheddar, but the consistency will be a bit different.
Cheddar cheese – You will need a cup of cheddar cheese to sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
How to make Sloppy Joe Casserole
Prepare the Pasta
To begin making Sloppy Joe Casserole, the first step is to cook 1 pound of farfalle pasta according to the package directions. You can make the sauce while the pasta is cooking.
Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and set it aside. If the pasta has finished cooking before the sauce is ready, drizzle the pasta with a little olive oil and stir to coat. This will help prevent the pasta from sticking together.
Cook the Meat and Sauce
While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 diced yellow onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened. Then, add 1 pound of ground beef and cook, stirring, until browned all over, breaking up any lumps with the back of a wooden spoon.
Next, add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, and garlic powder. Season to taste, then bring the mixture to a simmer.
Add the corn and cubed Velveeta cheese to the pan and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cheese has melted.
Assemble and bake
Add the cooked pasta to the saucepan and stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle over 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, then bake for 25 minutes at 350°F.
Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Sloppy Joe Casserole
- 1 pound farfalle pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 15 oz. can corn kernels drained
- 8 oz. Velveeta cheese cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the pasta according to packet directions. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over a medium-high heat. Cook the onion, stirring frequently, until softened. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring, until browned all over, breaking up any lumps with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard and garlic powder. Season to taste, then bring to a simmer.
- Add the drained corn kernels and cubed Velveeta cheese to the pan and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cheese has melted.
- Add the cooked pasta to the saucepan and stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle over the shredded cheddar cheese, then bake for 25 minutes.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can you make Sloppy Joe Casserole with Manwich?
To make Sloppy Joe Casserole using Manwich, follow the same recipe as above but substitute the tomato sauce and ketchup with a can of Manwich sauce.
What are some variations of Sloppy Joe Casserole?
It’s easy to change up the casserole to fit your preferences. Here are some easy variation ideas:
- Add vegetables. Bell peppers and mushrooms are fantastic in this dish.
- Switch out the meat. You can easily use ground turkey, pork or chicken instead of beef.
- Add some more spice. Chili powder and cumin both taste fantastic with sloppy joes!
What do you serve with Sloppy Joe Casserole?
More delicious casserole recipes to try:
- Taco Cornbread Casserole
- Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
- Pizza Pasta Casserole
- Baked Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Southwest Tater Tot Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Scalloped Corn Casserole
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- Cheesy Wild Rice Casserole
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Sloppy Joe Casserole is loaded with flavorful ingredients like ground beef, pasta, and a sweet and tangy tomato sauce. It is topped with a layer of melted cheese that adds a creamy texture to every bite. Simple weeknight dinner recipe the whole family will enjoy.