Shirley Temple Bundt Cake starts with a cake mix, then adds 7-Up, cherries & more lemon lime flavor! Light, perfectly sweet lemon lime cake studded with cherries!
Shirley Temple Bundt Cake is a classic dessert that has been enjoyed by generations of Americans. This lemon bundt cake is named after the famous child actress Shirley Temple and is known for its light, fluffy texture and sweet, citrusy flavor. This cake mix bundt cake is a perfect dessert for any occasion, whether it’s a birthday party, a family gathering, or just a casual get-together with friends.
Sweet Soda Bundt Cake
Everyone loves a Shirley Temple and it is even better in cake form! This cake is made with a boxed cake mix and lemon lime soda. Cherries are studded throughout this moist cake and a lemon lime glaze and cherries on top finish this beautiful and delicious cake.
To make Shirley Temple Bundt Cake, you will need a few simple ingredients, including flour, cherries, powder sugar, and of course lemon-lime soda. The soda gives the cake its signature citrus flavor and also helps to keep it light and fluffy. Whether you are a fan of classic desserts or just looking for something new to try, Shirley Temple Bundt Cake is a delicious and easy-to-make option that is sure to please.
Why You Will Love This Bundt Cake Recipe
- Perfect for Any Occasion: Whether you’re celebrating a birthday, hosting a party, or just want a sweet treat, this cake is perfect for any occasion.
- Delicious Flavor: The combination of sweet cherry and tangy lemon flavors make this cake a crowd-pleaser. It’s a perfect balance of sweet and tart.
- Kid-Friendly: Children love the sweet taste of this cake, and the bright pink color makes it even more appealing to them.
Shirley Temple Cake Ingredients
White cake mix: For the base of this cake recipe, use one 15.25-oz box of white cake mix. Any brand you have on hand or your favorite one will work great.
Flour: Use 1 TBSP of flour to coat the cherries before adding to the cake batter, this will help prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
Cherries: You need 1 cup of maraschino cherries, rinsed and halved, for incredible flavor in this cake.
Soda: Using 12-ounces of lemon lime soda will help make the cake a light fluffy texture.
Lemon zest: Adding in 1 TBSP of lemon zest gives the cake even more amazing citrus taste.
Lime zest: For more wonderful tangy flavor, use 1 TBSP of lime zest.
Powdered sugar: To make the glaze perfectly sweet, use 3 cups of powdered sugar.
Lemon juice: Add in 2 TBSP of lemon juice to flavor the cake topping well.
Lime juice: You need 2 TBSP of lime juice for this frosting recipe.
Heavy cream: Adding 1-2 tablespoons of heavy cream (or milk) will make the glaze a nice smooth consistency and taste amazing too.
Maraschino cherries: Use more cherries with stems, for garnish on top of the cake if desired.
Step by step on how to make Shirley Temple Bundt Cake
Begin by preheating the oven to 350°F. Next, grease a bundt pan with nonstick baking spray and set it aside.
Also, in a small bowl toss the one cup of halved cherries with the tablespoon of flour and set aside.
Then, zest the lemon and lime to procure the required measurement. After that, squeeze each fruit to obtain the 2 TBSP of juice needed for the glaze. Set it aside for later use.
In a large bowl, combine the cake mix with the floured cherries, lemon lime soda, lemon zest and lime zest. Whisk the ingredients gently to combine.
Proceed to pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center and comes out clean.
Let the cake cool slightly before inverting onto a cooling rack, then let it cool completely before adding the glaze.
Make the glaze in a medium size, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon, and lime juice and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream. You want a thick glaze, but if you need a bit more cream to be able to pour the glaze, add it slowly.
Then pour the glaze over the cake, garnish with more lime zest and cherries with stems. Slice, serve and enjoy!
Shirley Temple Cake
- 15.25 oz white cake mix
- 1 TBSP flour
- 1 cup maraschino cherries rinsed and halved
- 12 oz lemon lime soda
- 1 TBSP lemon zest
- 1 TBSP lime zest
Easy Lemon Lime Icing
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 TBSP lime juice
- 1-2 TBSP heavy cream or milk
- Maraschino cherries with stems for garnish
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a bundt pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Also, in a small bowl toss the one cup of halved cherries with the tablespoon of flour and set aside. Then, zest the lemon and lime to procure the required measurement. After that, squeeze each fruit to obtain the 2 TBSP of juice needed for the glaze. Set it aside for later use.
- Batter: In a large bowl, combine cake mix with the floured cherries, soda, lemon zest and lime zest. Whisk gently to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly before inverting onto a cooling rack, then cool completely.
- Glaze: Make the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar with the lemon and lime juice and 1 tablespoon of milk. You want a thick glaze, but if you need a bit more milk to be able to pour the glaze, add it slowly.
- Pour the glaze over the cake. Garnish with more lime zest and cherries with stems. Serve and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Variations for Shirley Temple Bundt Cake
Shirley Temple Bundt Cake is a versatile dessert that can be customized to suit different tastes and occasions. Here are some variations that can be made to the classic recipe:
- Chocolate Shirley Temple Bundt Cake: Add ½ cup of cocoa powder to the dry ingredients and substitute cherry juice with chocolate syrup. This will give the cake a rich chocolate flavor.
- Strawberry Shirley Temple Bundt Cake: Add ½ cup of pureed strawberries to the batter and substitute cherry juice with strawberry syrup. This will give the cake a sweet strawberry flavor.
- Orange Shirley Temple Bundt Cake: Add 2 tablespoons of orange zest to the batter and substitute cherry juice with orange juice. This will give the cake a citrusy orange taste.
- Rainbow Shirley Temple Bundt Cake: Divide the batter into 6 bowls and dye each one a different color using food coloring. Layer the batter in the bundt pan, starting with red and ending with purple. This will give the cake a colorful and fun appearance.
How do I make Shirley Temple cupcakes?
To make Shirley Temple cupcakes, you can use the same recipe as the Bundt cake and pour the batter into cupcake liners instead of a Bundt pan. Bake the cupcakes at 350°F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Once the cupcakes have cooled, you can top them with whipped cream or frosting, and a maraschino cherry if desired.
What is the difference between a Bundt cake and a regular cake?
A Bundt cake is a type of cake that is baked in a Bundt pan, which is a round, fluted pan with a hollow center. The pan’s unique shape gives the cake a decorative appearance and allows for even baking. A regular cake can be baked in any type of pan, including round, square, or rectangular pans. Bundt cakes are often denser and moister than regular cakes, and they have a more complex flavor due to the pan’s shape.
Can I use a regular cake mix in a Bundt pan?
Yes, you can use a regular cake mix in a Bundt pan. However, it is important to adjust the baking time and temperature according to the instructions on the cake mix box. Some cake mixes may require a longer baking time in a Bundt pan than in a regular cake pan. Additionally, you may need to grease and flour the Bundt pan before pouring in the batter to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan.
How to Store Lemon Lime Cake
Storing a Shirley Temple Bundt Cake properly is important to keep it fresh and delicious for as long as possible. Here are a few tips to help you store your cake:
- Room Temperature: If you plan to consume the cake within a day or two, store it at room temperature in an airtight container. Make sure to place a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap between the cake and the container to prevent it from sticking.
- Refrigerator: If you need to store the cake for a longer period, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator. The cold temperature will help to keep the cake fresh for up to a week. Before serving, allow the cake to come to room temperature for about an hour to bring back its original texture and flavor.
- Freezer: To store the cake for an even longer period, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and store it in the freezer. The cake will maintain its flavor and texture for up to three months. When you are ready to serve, thaw the cake in the refrigerator overnight and bring it to room temperature before serving.
Try more amazing tasting bundt cake recipes here:
- WHITE CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY BUNDT CAKE
- OLIVE OIL ORANGE BUNDT CAKE
- BEST BUNDT CAKE RECIPES
- EASY CHOCOLATE CHIP BUNDT CAKE
- LEMON RASPBERRY BUNDT CAKE
- CHOCOLATE ORANGE BUNDT CAKE
- SWIRLED PEPPERMINT BUNDT CAKE
- LAYERED LEMON CHIFFON CAKE
- STRAWBERRY CHOCOLATE BUNDT CAKE
- PUMPKIN MARSHMALLOW BUNDT CAKE
- AMBROSIA BUNDT CAKE
- EASY HOMEMADE VANILLA CAKE
Shirley Temple Bundt Cake is a simple dessert that uses a boxed cake mix, lemon lime soda and cherries to create a delightful treat ! This perfectly sweet and tangy lemon lime cake is loaded with cherries and oh so delicious.