Ranch Chicken Tater Tot Casserole is made with crispy tater tots, tender chicken, & zesty ranch seasoning for a cheesy, flavorful dinner everyone loves!
To make this delicious chicken tater tot casserole, all you need are a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and fridge. You can add more vegetables, use different types of cheese, or even swap the chicken for ground beef or turkey for this tater tot casserole recipe.
Best Thing About Tater Tot Casserole
Tater tot casserole is a classic comfort food that is loved by many, including my family! It is a simple yet satisfying dish that is perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends at home. One of the best things about tater tot casserole is that it is incredibly easy to make. All you need are a few basic ingredients, and you can have a delicious meal on the table in no time.
I also love this dish because my kids LOVE it! The crispy tater tots and cheesy filling is a hit with even my pickiest eaters. This is also a versatile dish that can be customized to suit your tastes. You can add different vegetables, meats, or cheeses to suit it to your families taste. A simple recipe that is sure to become a family favorite!
Why You Will Love This Chicken Ranch Casserole Recipe
- Delicious and Filling: This casserole is packed with flavor and is incredibly filling. The combination of crispy tater tots and chicken make a filling meal that will leave everyone feeling satisfied.
- Versatile: This recipe is versatile and can be customized to suit your preferences. You can add vegetables like broccoli or carrots to make it healthier or swap out the chicken for ground beef or turkey if you prefer.
- Perfect for Potlucks: This casserole is a great choice for potlucks or family gatherings. It can easily be made ahead of time and reheated when you’re ready to serve, making it a stress-free option for feeding a crowd.
Chicken Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients
Cream of chicken soup: You need one 10.5-oz can of condensed cream of chicken soup for a wonderful casserole consistency.
Milk: Give this dish a nice creamy texture by adding in ½ cup of milk.
Sour cream: Use ½ cup of sour cream to add more flavor and create great texture too.
Butter: Adding in ¼ cup of butter, melted, will give the casserole a nice rich taste.
Chicken: You will need 4 cups of cubed, cooked chicken, to add plenty of protein to this main dish.
Ranch seasoning: Using 2 TBSP of dry ranch seasoning will flavor the dish perfectly!
Cheese: For some cheesy goodness, you will need 1 ½ cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
Tater tots: Use a 32-ounce size bag of frozen Tater Tots to make this dish so filling and delicious.
How to make Ranch Chicken Tater Toy Casserole
Before you can start assembling the casserole, the chicken needs to be cooked. You can use premade rotisserie chicken, canned chicken or make it ahead of time using this crockpot recipe.
When the chicken is ready to go, get the oven preheating to 350°F. Then spray one 9×13, or two 8×8, dishes with non-stick spray and set it aside aside.
In a medium sized, microwave safe mixing bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, milk, butter and sour cream. Microwave the mixture for 1 min. 30 sec. and whisk to combine. Stir in the cooked chicken, ranch seasoning and ½ cup cheddar cheese.
Proceed to pour into the prepared baking dish(es) and top with the remaining cheese.
Next, evenly lay Tater Tots across the entire surface of the mixture.
Place in the preheated oven and bake until hot & bubbling, for about 25-30 minutes.
Serve hot & enjoy!
Variations of this Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
There are many ways to customize the Ranch Chicken Tater Tot Casserole to suit individual tastes and preferences. Here are a few variations to consider:
- Vegetarian Option: For a meat-free version, omit the chicken and substitute with a can of drained and rinsed black beans or chickpeas. Add some veggies like bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms for additional flavor and texture.
- Spicier Version: To add some heat to the casserole, mix in some diced jalapenos or green chilies. For an even spicier kick, sprinkle some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes on top.
- Cheese Lover’s Version: For those who can’t get enough cheese, add some shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese to the top of the casserole before baking. You can also mix in some cream cheese or sour cream for added creaminess.
- Mexican-Inspired Version: Add some taco seasoning to the chicken and top the casserole with diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, and shredded lettuce. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some salsa on the side.
- Breakfast Version: For a breakfast twist, use breakfast sausage instead of chicken and add some beaten eggs to the mixture before baking. Top with shredded cheese and serve with a side of toast or biscuits.
Ranch Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- 10 oz condensed cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 TBSP ranch seasoning
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 32 ounces frozen Tater Tots
- Prep: The chicken needs to be cooked before assembling the casserole. You can use premade rotisserie chicken, canned chicken or make it ahead of time using this crockpot recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray one 9×13 or two 8×8 dishes with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Assemble: In a medium sized, microwave safe mixing bowl, combine the soup, milk, butter and sour cream. Microwave for 1 min. 30 sec. Whisk to combine. Stir in chicken, ranch seasoning and ½ cup cheddar cheese.
- Pour into prepared baking dish(es.) Top with remaining cheese, then evenly lay Tater Tots across the entire surface.
- Bake: Bake at 400°F until hot & bubbling, 25-30 minutes. Serve hot & enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
What are some tips for making a perfect tater tot casserole?
To make a perfect tater tot casserole, it is essential to ensure that the tater tots are crispy and not soggy. One way to achieve this is to bake them in the oven before adding them to the casserole. It is also crucial to evenly distribute the ingredients, including the chicken and cheese, to ensure that each bite has a perfect balance of flavors. Additionally, it is recommended to cover the casserole with foil while baking to prevent the cheese from burning.
What are some side dishes that pair well with tater tot casserole?
Tater tot casserole is a hearty and filling dish that pairs well with a variety of side dishes. Some great options include a fresh salad, steamed vegetables, or garlic bread. Additionally, a side of coleslaw or macaroni salad can add a refreshing contrast to the rich and savory flavors of the casserole.
How to store left over Chicken Ranch Tater Casserole
If you have left over casserole, allow it to cool to room temperature before storing it. This will prevent condensation from forming inside the storage container, which can lead to the casserole becoming soggy. Then transfer it to an airtight container or cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Make sure the container or wrap is properly sealed to prevent any air from getting in.
The casserole can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. If you plan on storing it for longer than that, it’s recommended to freeze it. The casserole can be frozen for up to 3 months.
When reheating the casserole, it’s recommended to thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before reheating it in the oven. Reheating the casserole in the microwave can cause it to become mushy and lose its texture.
Try more of our favorite casserole recipes here:
- TWICE BAKED POTATO CASSEROLE
- CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE
- CHICKEN TORTILLA CHIP CASSEROLE
- CHEESY BAKED EGG CASSEROLE
- BUFFALO CHICKEN TATERTOT CASSEROLE
- HASH BROWN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- MAPLE PECAN SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
- CHICKEN BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
- TACO CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
- HOLIDAY HAM & CHEESE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
Ranch Chicken Tater Tot Casserole is made with a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and fridge. This chicken potato casserole is great if you’re looking for an easy dinner recipe or a dish to bring to a potluck or party.