Light Pineapple Fried Rice is packed with veggies and fantastic flavor for an incredible take on traditional chicken fried rice! You’ll love the bright, fresh flavor in this easy weeknight dinner!
To make this easy fried rice recipe, you’ll need a few simple ingredients, including rice, pineapple, vegetables, and seasonings. The pineapple fried rice is cooked and then stir-fried with the other ingredients to create a dish that is both savory and sweet.
What is Light Pineapple Fried Rice?
Light Pineapple Fried Rice is a flavorful and unique dish that combines the sweetness of pineapple with the savory flavors of rice and vegetables. What sets this dish apart from traditional fried rice is its use of pineapple, which adds a refreshing burst of flavor and texture to the dish. The dish typically includes jasmine rice, diced pineapple, bell peppers, carrots, peas, and green onions, all stir-fried together with soy sauce and other seasonings. The result is a colorful and fragrant dish that is both satisfying and healthy.
One of the key benefits of this dish is its lightness and freshness. Unlike traditional fried rice, which can be heavy and greasy, this dish is made with minimal oil and features a variety of fresh vegetables. This makes it a great option for those who are looking for a healthier alternative to traditional fried rice. Overall, Pineapple Fried Rice is a delicious and healthy dish that is sure to impress. Its unique combination of flavors and textures make it a standout dish that is perfect for any occasion.
Pineapple Fried Rice Ingredients
Chicken: For plenty of protein throughout this dish, use 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast.
Rice: For the base of this recipe, you will need 2 cups of cooked, short grain rice, chilled.
Oil: You will need 3 TBSP of canola oil to cook the chicken in before assembling the fried rice.
Vegetables: Using 2 cups of frozen peas & carrots is a simply way of adding veggies without a ton of extra effort. They are already cooked and diced into the perfect size!
Riced cauliflower: Add in 2 cups of riced cauliflower to add nutritious elements, such as Vitamin A & C.
Garlic: You need 3 cloves of garlic, minced, to give this dish wonderful flavor.
Eggs: Use 3 eggs to add even more great protein to this fried rice.
Pineapple: Adding 1 cup of canned or fresh pineapple tidbits is what sets this fried rice apart from other recipes, it tastes incredible.
Cashews: You will want to add in ½ cup of cashews to give this dish some crunchy texture that does not disappoint.
Soy sauce: Using 3 TBSP of soy sauce will flavor the rice well but won’t be overpowering.
Salt: To balance all the flavors, add 2 tsp. of salt.
Scallions: For more great taste, you will want to use 2 tsp. of chopped scallions to flavor this dish.
Sesame oil: Top this fried rice off with 1 TBSP drizzle of sesame oil.
How to make Easy Pineapple Fried Rice
Before you can assemble the fried rice, you will need to cook a couple items first. The chicken needs to be fully cooked and chopped into bite sized chunks. You can accomplish this by baking the chicken with some basic seasonings such as salt, pepper and/or garlic powder.
Also, the rice needs to be cooked (follow instructions on packaging) and cooled beforehand as well. Using a rice maker simplifies this process, or cooking on the stovetop works well too. For best results, the rice should be cooled as well.
If you are using fresh garlic, mince the 3 cloves now to have them ready for the cooking process. Same with the scallions, chop those into small pieces as well.
Cook & Assemble
Get the wok, or large skillet, heating over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 2 TBSP oil and add the cooked, chopped chicken and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
Next, add the frozen peas and carrots and continue to stir-fry the mixture for 2 minutes. After that, add the riced cauliflower and minced garlic; stir-fry for another 3 minutes.
Then, push the mixture to the side of skillet and the add remaining 1 TBSP of oil to the empty side of skillet. Now, add the eggs and stir-fry until scrambled, breaking them up into small bits and stirring frequently.
Once the eggs are cooked, add in the prepared rice, pineapple bits and cashews. Continue to cook until warmed through and well combined, this typically takes 3-5 minutes.
Lastly, add the soy sauce and stir until combined, then drizzle the top of rice with sesame oil. Season with salt, to taste (if desired).
Serve rice immediately and enjoy!
Variations of Light Pineapple Fried Rice
Light Pineapple Fried Rice is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit individual tastes. Here are a few variations of this dish that can be easily prepared:
- Vegetarian version: For those who prefer a vegetarian option, simply omit the chicken and add more vegetables such as bell peppers or zucchini. Tofu or tempeh can also be added for extra protein.
- Spicy version: For those who like it hot, add some chili flakes or chopped fresh chili peppers to the dish. You can also add some hot sauce or sriracha for an extra kick.
- Sweet and sour version: To make the dish more tangy, add some vinegar or lime juice to the dish. You can also add some sugar or honey to balance out the flavors.
- Coconut version: For a tropical twist, use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil and add some coconut milk to the dish. You can also add some shredded coconut for extra flavor and texture.
Light Pineapple Fried Rice
- 3 TBSP canola oil
- 1 large, boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups frozen peas & carrots
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups cooked short grain rice cooked & chilled
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits
- ½ cup cashews
- 3 TBSP soy sauce
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. chopped scallions
- 1 TBSP sesame oil
- Prep: Before you can assemble the fried rice, you will need to cook a couple items first. The chicken needs to be fully cooked and chopped into bite sized chunks. You can accomplish this by baking the chicken with some basic seasonings such as salt, pepper and/or garlic powder.
- Also, the rice needs to be cooked (follow instructions on packaging) and cooled beforehand as well. Using a rice maker simplifies this process, or cooking on the stovetop works well too.
- If you are using fresh garlic, mince the 3 cloves now to have them ready for the cooking process. Same with the scallions, chop those into small pieces as well.
- Cook & Assemble: Heat wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 2 TBSP oil. Add chicken and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add peas and carrots, stir-fry 2 minutes. Add riced cauliflower and garlic; stir-fry 3 minutes.
- Push mixture to side of skillet and add remaining 1 TBSP of oil to empty side of skillet. Add eggs and stir-fry until scrambled, stirring frequently.
- Add rice, pineapple and cashews. Cook until warmed through and well combined.
- Add soy sauce, stir until combined. Drizzle top of rice with sesame oil. Season with salt, to taste, if desired. Serve rice immediately and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How long is Pineapple Fried Rice good for?
Leftover rice is good for up to 2-3 days if stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Any longer than that and the ingredients may not hold a good texture upon being reheated.
What are the common ingredients in pineapple fried rice?
The common ingredients in pineapple fried rice are rice, pineapple, eggs, vegetables (such as peas, carrots, and scallions), and protein (such as chicken or shrimp). The dish is typically seasoned with soy sauce, fish sauce, and oyster sauce.
Can chicken be substituted with other meats in fried rice?
Yes, chicken can be substituted with other meats such as shrimp, pork, or beef. Vegetarians can also make pineapple fried rice by omitting the meat or substituting it with tofu. Whatever your meat preference is this dish will turn out fantastic!
What is the secret to making restaurant-quality fried rice?
The secret to making restaurant-quality fried rice is to use cold, leftover rice. Freshly cooked rice will be too moist and sticky for frying. Additionally, it’s important to use high heat and cook the ingredients quickly to prevent the rice from becoming mushy.
Is light or dark soy sauce preferred for making fried rice?
Light soy sauce is typically preferred for making fried rice because it has a lighter color and saltier taste than dark soy sauce. Dark soy sauce is thicker and has a sweeter taste, and is often used in marinades, stews, and braises.
Need more side dish recipes? Give some of these a try!
- Fiesta Ranch Chicken Pasta Salad
- Fancy Fruit Salad
- Easy Spanish Rice
- Chicken Pasta Salad
- Brown Sugar Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Creamy Orange Fruit Salad
- Chicken Wild Rice Salad
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Cream Cheese Grape Salad
- Berry Spinach Salad
- Cast Iron Skillet Potatoes
- Copycat KFC Coleslaw recipe
- Garden Vegetable Caprese Salad
- Orange Glazed Carrots
Light Pineapple Fried Rice is a delightful twist on a traditional side dish! This pineapple rice recipe is a healthier option that does not sacrifice flavor!