Homemade Beef Barley Soup is a rich, flavorful soup made with barley pearls, fresh veggies & tender beef. This beef and barley soup perfect for cold winter nights!
Making this vegetable beef barley soup is so easy, with some simple prep work you can have a delicious homemade soup cooking in no time! Give this hearty beef barley soup a try as the weather cools down and you feel like a nice bowl of comforting stew.
Check out these other great beef soup recipes- LASAGNA SOUP, EASY GO-TO TACO SOUP, and THE BEST SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW. These soups are great for cold weather & when you want a heartier soup in your bowls!
Beef Barley Soup Recipe From Scratch
This soup is so hearty and creamy, the barley also creates a lovely smooth texture. The carrots and the celery add a subtle crunch with great added protein. The beef is so juicy and tender, with the spices giving the soup amazing flavor in every bite. This is a perfect soup for chilly days or days you are feeling a bit rundown. With the weather starting to turn cooler, this is the perfect time to start pulling out the warm comfort meal recipes. Make this amazing soup this Fall and Winter season and I guarantee it will be a huge hit in your house.
Why we think you will enjoy this hearty soup recipe
If you were not already sold on giving this amazing soup a try, here are some more reasons to convince you to do so.
- Maximum flavor in every bowl. We sauté the veggies and brown the meat before adding in the broths and liquids. This helps seal in the flavor and create a nice rich tasting broth.
- It is completely homemade. This homemade beef barley soup recipe is made from scratch, meaning that we do not use canned condensed soups and use fresh vegetables and ingredients.
- You can add more broth if you want. If you like your soup with a lot of broth, you may need to add extra. Just add what you want, and bring it to a temperature over medium heat. Once at temperature, serve and enjoy!
Beef and Barley Soup Ingredients
Butter– You will need 3 tablespoons of butter. You can use salted or unsalted as desired.
Onions– Use ½ cup of chopped onions (about one medium-sized onion) to create a flavorful soup.
Beef– You will need 1 pound of beef stew meat for this recipe.
Seasonings– Use 1 teaspoon each of celery seeds and garlic powder, and then use 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
Carrots– To give us some color and sweetness, you will need 1 cup of sliced carrots. This is equal to about 3 medium-sized carrots.
Celery– Use 1 cup of sliced celery (about 4 stalks) for added green color and fresh taste.
Barley– Adding ½ cup of Quick Pearled Barley will give us more flavor and hearty goodness.
Broth– Use 5 cups of beef broth for the base of the soup. If you don’t have beef broth, you can substitute it with beef bouillon with water to make 5 cups. I typically use 4 cups of boiling water with 2 cubes.
Water– Adding in 1 cup of water will help to stretch the soup just a little bit more, and it helps to settle the flavors well.
How to Make Homemade Beef Barley Soup
Start by dicing the onion into small chunks, they will cook down so they don’t have to be minced.
Also chop the carrots and celery sticks into bite size pieces.
After that, cut the beef into bite sized cubes.
Get a Dutch oven or cast iron pan heating over medium heat and melt the butter.
Once heated, add in the chopped onions and stir to coat. Cook until soft and translucent.
Then add in the cubed beef stew meat, celery seeds, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir together until the meat is browned. This should take about 4-5 minutes over medium-high heat.
Next, mix in the carrots and celery. Then add in the barley and stir again until well mixed.
Now, add the beef broth and the water to the pan, bring to a boil and mix well.
Cover the Dutch oven, reduce the heat and bring it down to a simmer.
Allow the soup to cook for 1 hour, mixing every 10-15 minutes to prevent sticking.
Serve and enjoy!
How to Serve Beef and Barley Soup
I like to wait a few minutes after the timer has beeped because I find that the meat becomes a little more tender. You can serve immediately if desired. When serving, you can top the soup with some herbs like Italian seasoning or parsley. Adding cheese like Parmigiano Reggiano over the top is delicious as well.
HOMEMADE BEEF BARLEY SOUP
- 3 tablespoons butter I used salted butter but you could use unsalted
- ½ cup chopped onions about a medium size onion
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup sliced carrots about 3 medium sizes
- 1 cup sliced celery about 4 celery stalks
- ½ cup Quick Pearled Barley
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- Prep: Start by dicing the onion into small chunks, they will cook down so they don't have to be minced. Also chop the carrots and celery sticks into bite size pieces. After that, cut the beef into bite sized cubes.
- Sauté ingredients: Get a Dutch oven or cast iron pan heating over medium heat and melt the butter. Once heated, add in the chopped onions and stir to coat. Cook until soft and translucent.
- Then add in the cubed beef stew meat, celery seeds, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir together until the meat is browned. This should take about 4-5minutes over medium-high heat. Next, mix in the carrots and celery. Then add in the barley and stir again until well mixed.
- Add liquids: Now, add the beef broth and the water to the pan, bring to a boil and mix well. Cover the Dutch oven, reduce the heat and bring it down to a simmer. Allow the soup to cook for 1 hour, mixing every 10-15 minutes to prevent sticking. Serve and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
What to serve with beef and barley soup
I love to serve this soup with a side of fresh bread or cheesy garlic bread. This soup is also great with your favorite crackers, it’s versatile and can be served with just about anything you’d normally like with your soups.
How do you reheat beef barley soup?
You can heat up a single portion in a paper towel-covered bowl in the microwave, or you can reheat multiple servings in a pot on the stove. When warming it up, I like to warm up in a small saucepan, add about ¼ cup of broth and slowly bring it to the desired temperature.
How long is beef barley soup good for?
You can keep the leftovers from this soup stored in an airtight, covered container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Check out these other great soup recipes!
- COPYCAT CHICK-FIL-A CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- CROCKPOT CHICKEN TACO SOUP
- SLOW COOKER FRENCH ONION SOUP
- CHEESY BROCCOLI POTATO SOUP
- OLIVE GARDEN CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP
- PASTA FAGIOLI RECIPE
- CHICKEN ALFREDO SOUP
- ZUCCHINI SAUSAGE SOUP
- EASY PUMPKIN SOUP
- CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER
- THREE CHEESE SOUP
- WISCONSIN CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Homemade beef barley soup is a wonderful hearty and delicious soup that is as comforting as it is filling. This beef and barley soup is made with robust pears of barley, fresh veggies, and tender chunks of beef.