Halloween Rice Krispie Treats are the perfect Halloween dessert this fall! With sprinkles, chocolate, and marshmallow packed cereal bars in every bite, it’s sure to be a spooky delight.
This Rice Krispie treats recipe is incredibly simple and easy to follow along with. Made on the stovetop or in the microwave (see notes below) you’re sure to have a good time making them. Serve your Halloween treats to friends and family because no one is too old for cute Rice Krispie Treats!
What Are Halloween Rice Krispie Treats?
They’re a fun and creative holiday twist to the traditional rice crispy treat that we have all come to know and love. With colorful sprinkles and M&M candy pieces scattered throughout the cereal treat with unmelted mini marshmallows, every bite is exciting and festive. Of course, adding the melted chocolate on top and adding even more sprinkles and candies helps to make it more fun from every angle.
-Rice Krispie Cereal: The star of the show, but feel free to swap this out for off-brands or a gluten free version if desired. You’ll need 6 cups which is almost a full box.
-Mini Marshmallows: Binding the cereal together and being used as a little decoration as well is 5 divided cups of mini marshmallows.
-Butter: We don’t need much butter, but the 3 tablespoons of butter that we do need will help us to melt down the marshmallows to the sticky gooey consistency we want.
-M&Ms: If possible, grab the Halloween color assorted variety as this adds to the fun, otherwise regular M&Ms work fine!
-Sprinkles: Another way to add a burst of color throughout these treats. Pick a Halloween color assortment and add to the fun.
Grease a 9×13 dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Set it aside.
In a large nonstick pan over low heat, melt your butter.
Add in 4 cups of the mini marshmallows and stir often until they’re completely melted.
Remove the pan from the stove.
Stir in the Rice Krispie Cereal and mix together until thoroughly combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared 9×13 baking dish and then press it down evenly with a greased spatula.
In a bowl, melt two cups of chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 minute, using 20 second increments and stirring after each until the mixture is nice and smooth. Don’t overcook the chocolate as it will seize.
Spread the melted chocolate over the top of the cereal treats in the dish.
Top with any additional M&Ms and sprinkles if desired. Let set to cool.
Cut into squares and serve.
Halloween Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 7 cups Mini Marshmallows, Divided
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 2 cups Chocolate Chips
- Halloween M&Ms
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Grease a 9x13 dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large non stick pan over low heat.
- Add in 6 cups marshmallows and heat until melted completely, stirring often.
- Remove from stove.
- Stir in rice krispies until thoroughly mixed.
- Add in Halloween M&Ms, chocolate sprinkles and remaining 1 cup marshmallows. Stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture into the 9x13 dish. Press evenly with a greased spatula.
- Melt 2 cups of chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 minute, adding time in 20 second increments until chocolate is melted and smooth. Don't overcook the chocolate or it will seize!
- Spread melted chocolate on top of the krispie treats, spreading evenly.
- Top with additional M&Ms and sprinkles if desired.
- Let cool to set. Cut into squares and serve.
How to Make Rice Crispies in The Microwave
Prepare your baking dish, bowl, and a rubber scraper by spraying them with non-stick cooking spray
Add your marshmallows and (cubed) butter to a bowl.
Microwave the marshmallows and butter for 1 minute and 25 seconds.
Pour in the cereal and stir well to combine.
Stir in the remaining marshmallows, sprinkles, and M&Ms and pour into the 9×13 baking dish.
Continue recipe as instructed.
Should Rice Krispie Treats be Refrigerated?
While you could pop them in the fridge to help cool the chocolate faster and get them to set more quickly, it doesn’t take long at all to let these set before slicing. After they’ve been sliced, they do great stored in an airtight container at room temperature and don’t need to be stored in the fridge.
Yes, they could. I recommend slicing them into serving squares and wrapping individually with plastic wrap before storing in an airtight container. Then you have Halloween treats ready for whenever you get a craving for something sweet. Simply remove from the freezer and let thaw for about 15-20 minutes at room temperature before eating.
Looking for more Cute and Creepy Halloween Treats? Check out these nifty ideas!
- Halloween Peanut Butter Cookie Pizza
- Halloween Pretzels (3 Ways)
- 3D Ghost Cookies
- Halloween Sprinkle Cookies
- Haunted Haystacks
- Halloween Mummy Pretzels
- Easy Pumpkin Pretzels
- Halloween Candy Corn Granola Bars
- Halloween Popcorn
- Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats
- Chocolate Chip Spider Cookies
- Scaredy Cat Cookies
- Halloween Cream Sodas
- Easy Halloween Cake Pops
- Funfetti Halloween Cookies
There’s no tricks and only treats with these Halloween Rice Krispie Treats Recipe. You’re going to love how simple and fun these chocolate and sprinkle packed cereal bars are to make.