Creamy Cherry Lime Squares are a delightful treat, perfect for anyone who loves the combination of tart and sweet flavors. These lime bars are so simple to make and can be enjoyed as a dessert or snack.
To make this cherry bars recipe, the crust is made from a combination of graham cracker crumbs and butter. The filling is made from instant pudding, lime juice, and sweetened condensed milk. The squares are then layered until chilled and set making a delightful no-bake dessert for a warm day.
Pie Bars inspired by Sonic Cherry Limeade Drink
These cherry lime pie squares are a delicious and refreshing dessert that are perfect for summer. The recipe is inspired by the popular Sonic Cherry Limeade drink, which combines cherry and lime flavors in a sweet and tangy beverage. To create these pie bars, a graham cracker crust is filled with a creamy lime filling and topped with a cherries. The result is a dessert that is both sweet and tart, with a perfect balance of flavors.
These cherry lime pie squares are a fun and delicious dessert that are perfect for summer. Whether you are a fan of the Sonic Cherry Limeade drink or just looking for a new and refreshing dessert to try, these pie bars are definitely worth making.
Why You’ll Love This Easy Chilled Bar Recipe
- Minimal ingredients. To make this recipe, you only need a small handful of ingredients, and they are all both inexpensive and easily locatable in your local grocery store. You may even have a few of them on hand already, making this recipe even more convenient.
- Minimal effort. With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of prep time, you can have a delicious dessert ready to go in no time. Plus, the fact that it is served in squares makes it easy to portion out and serve to a crowd.
- Perfect for any occasion. These bars are just as great as a dessert to serve at parties and get-togethers, but it’s equally as delicious at home with the family too. Keep them frozen and enjoy a late-night treat several times a week until they’re all gone and repeat the process again.
Creamy Lime Bars Ingredients
Graham crackers: Use 1 ½ cups of finely blended graham cracker crumbs. This will be the base/crust of these dessert bars.
Butter: You will need ½ cup (one stick) of melted butter to bind the graham cracker crumbs together for the crust.
Pudding mix: One 5.1-ounce sized box of instant vanilla pudding mix is needed for the creamy and delicious topping. This is a large sized box, and if you want more lime flavor, use lime pudding instead.
Condensed milk: Add in a 14-ounce sized can of sweetened condensed milk for a greater filling flavor.
Cool whip: Using one 8-ounce sized container of thawed cool whip to make the cherry lime squares fluffy and light in consistency.
Limes: You need 2 small limes so that you can get about 3-4 tablespoons of lime juice and 2 teaspoons of lime zest from them.
Cherries: 1 cup of cherries, that have been halved and pitted, is needed for this dessert recipe.
How to make Creamy Cherry Lime Squares
To get started, you need to crush the graham crackers into fine crumbs. This can be accomplished by using a food processor and pulsing the crackers a few times. If you do not have a food processor, you can put the crackers in a zip locked bag and use a rolling pin to crush them.
Next, melt the butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds until fully melted. Then combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter and stir until well combined.
Proceed to press the mixture firmly into the bottom of an 8×8 square glass dish. I like to put a baggie over my hand and press the cracker crumbs that way. Place the pan in freezer while you prepare the filling.
In a medium size bowl, pour in the sweetened condensed milk then sprinkle the vanilla pudding on top and stir well to combine. Stir this mixture for 2-3 minutes or so, to make sure the pudding has dissolved.
Next, add in the container of Cool Whip and stir until it is fully incorporated. After that, add in the lime juice and lime zest. At this point, the filling should be thickening up.
Now, get the cherries ready by pitting them and cutting them in half. Then gently fold the cherries into the pudding mixture.
Chill to set
Remove the glass dish from freezer and pour the filling on top. Then return the bars to the freezer for at least 4-5 hours prior to serving.
Once the bars have chilled and set, proceed to slice, serve, and enjoy!
Flavor Variations for Pudding Pie Bars
Flavor Twists: While the cherry lime pie squares are delicious as is, there are a few flavor twists that can be added to switch things up. One option is to add a layer of chocolate chips or chunks on top of the crust before adding the filling. This will give the squares a chocolate cherry lime flavor.
Another option is to add a layer of whipped cream or whipped coconut cream on top of the squares before serving. This will add a creamy element to the dessert and balance out the tartness of the lime.
For those who want to experiment with different fruit flavors, try substituting the cherries with raspberries or strawberries. This will give the squares a different flavor profile while still maintaining the same texture and structure.
Creamy Cherry Lime Squares
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs finely blended
- ½ cup butter melted
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 5.1 oz box vanilla pudding
- 8 oz container Cool-Whip
- 3-4 TBSP lime juice
- 2-3 tsp lime zest
- 1 cup cherries pitted, halved
- Graham Cracker Crust: Stir the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter together until well combined. Press firmly into the bottom of an 8×8 square glass dish. I like to put a baggie over my hand and press the cracker crumbs that way. Place pan in freezer while you prepare the filling.
- Filling: Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a medium sized bowl. Sprinkle the vanilla pudding on top and stir well to combine (Just stir this mixture for 2-3 minutes or so, to make sure the pudding has dissolved.)
- Add in the container of Cool Whip and stir until it's incorporated. Add in the lime juice and zest. The filling should be thickening up at this point. Get the cherries ready by pitting them and cutting them in half. Gently fold in the cherries.
- Freeze: Remove glass dish from freezer and pour filling inside. Return to freezer for at least 4-5 hours prior to serving. You can serve it frozen, or thaw on a counter top for 10-15 minutes, then serve it. I can't decide which way I like it more! Even when you serve it thawed though the filling holds together well. (The filling was almost completely thawed when I took the photos.)
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How to Pit a Cherry- The Easy Way
Take a frosting piping tip (one with a standard sized hole, not too large and not too small) and place it on a cutting board so that the tip is facing up and the base is on the board. Take a washed cherry (without stems) and place them onto the frosting tip. Place it so that the indentation where the stem was, is on the frosting tip. Press down on the cherry and the seed will pop out the other side.
Do You Eat Cherry Lime Squares Thawed or Frozen?
You can serve the bars frozen, or thaw on a countertop for 10-15 minutes, then serve. I can’t decide which way I like them more. Even when you serve them thawed though the filling holds together well.
How long are cherry limeade bars good for?
These bars can be left stored in a well covered or tightly sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 to 5 days. Or you can keep them frozen (in the same manner) for up to 3 months.
Are there any tips for achieving the perfect texture cherry lime pie squares?
To achieve the perfect texture in old-fashioned cherry lime pie squares, it is important to use fresh lime juice and zest. The lime flavor should be prominent but not overpowering. It is also important to let the squares cool completely before cutting them to ensure that they hold their shape. Finally, be sure to use a sharp knife to cut the squares to prevent them from crumbling.
How do I prepare a shortbread crust for a cherry dessert?
To prepare a shortbread crust for a cherry dessert, mix together flour, sugar, and butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press the mixture into the bottom of a baking dish and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let the crust cool completely before adding the cherry pudding filling.
For more Bar Recipes like these, check out these tasty suggestions
- BERRY LEMON BARS
- NO BAKE PEANUT BUTTER PRETZEL BARS
- BAKED S’MORES BARS
- PEANUT BUTTER BLONDIES
- OREO MAGIC COOKIE BARS
- LEMON BUTTER BARS
- PUMPKIN PIE BARS
- RASPBERRY OATMEAL BARS
- MILLIONAIRE CARAMEL BARS
- RED VELVET CHEESECAKE BROWNIES
- PUMPKIN BROWNIES
- STRAWBERRY BANANA BARS
Creamy Cherry Lime Squares are made with a graham cracker crust, loaded with fresh lime zest and juicy cherries. You are going to be blown away with the flavor combination in these lime bars.