Copycat dunkin donuts crullers recipe made from scratch! Light & crisp on the outside, soft & sweet on the inside, then brushed with an easy vanilla glaze for the best copycat donuts ever!
These homemade crullers have a nice, golden crisp outside with a soft, chewy texture on the inside. Coated in a sweet and smooth glaze, you know they’re going to be good! They taste so much like the ones you can buy from dunkin donuts, but there are no long lines to wait in, and you can make as many as you want! Made in your own kitchen, you can get a whole batch on the table, hot and fresh from the fryer.
What is a French Cruller?
Unlike a traditional donut, crullers are made differently and are made to be much lighter in texture and consistency. From the crispy outside to the chewy soft insides, these donuts are so airy you can easily eat a few in one sitting without regrets. Made similarly to the dough used in cream puffs, but fried to perfection, these donuts are unlike any other.
Why You’ll Love This Cruller Recipe
- It’s a super close copycat recipe! Without actually getting the recipe from dunkin donuts, this copycat dunkin donuts recipe is very close to the real deal and if you didn’t know better, you probably couldn’t spot the differences!
- Simple ingredients. Made with basic ingredients like flour, eggs, water, butter, and powdered sugar, these donuts are very simple to make, and you may have most if not all of the ingredients needed to make them already in your home.
- They sound fancy, but the steps to make them are easier than you’d think! While a french cruller donut recipe sounds complicated, the steps to make this donut are very simple, if not just a little time-consuming. While we don’t have to wait for yeast doughs to rise, we do have to stir things together in a pot before piping and frying the shaped donuts. This is a pretty basic recipe for those wanting to branch out with their kitchen skills.
Copycat Dunkin Donuts Glazed Cruller recipe Ingredients
For the donuts, you will need:
- Water: You will need 1 1/4 cups of water for the donut dough.
- Butter: Use 1/2 cup of butter that has been softened to room temperature. Shortening can be used instead, but it will alter the flavors a bit.
- Sugar: Use 4 1/2 teaspoons of granulated sugar to sweeten the donut batter a little.
- Salt: Adding in 1/2 teaspoon of salt to enhance the flavors in the donuts.
- Vanilla: You will want to use 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract to make these donuts taste incredible.
- Flour: Use 1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour for the base of the donut dough.
- Eggs: You will need 4 eggs plus another 2 egg whites to make the donut batter rich and light.
For the glaze, you will need:
- Powdered sugar: For smooth sweet results, you will want to use 2 cups of powdered sugar.
- Corn syrup: Add in 1 tablespoon of corn syrup to make the glaze sticky and sweet.
- Hot water: To get the right consistency, add in 2-3 teaspoons of hot water.
- Vanilla: Adding in 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract will make the glaze perfectly flavored.
How to Make Copycat Dunkin Donuts Crullers
Combine the water, butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a medium sized pot over medium high heat.
Bring the mixture to a boil and then stir in the flour until incorporated.
Continue to cook and sit until the mixture begins to coat the bottom of the saucepan in places.
Remove the pan from the heat.
Carefully transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer that has been fitted with a paddle attachment.
Mix on low speed for a few minutes or until the mixture has cooled slightly.
While the mixer is running, add in the eggs, one at a time, until each one has been well incorporated into the mix.
Once all of the eggs have been added, continue to mix the dough until it is smooth and glossy. The dough should start to hold its shape a little bit.
Prepare the oil for frying
Preheat a large stockpot of oil that is 3-4inches deep. Heat it to 375 degrees F.
Cut a piece of parchment paper into 3-4 inch squares.
Spoon the dough into a piping bag that has been fitted with a very large open star tip.
Pipe the dough into 3-4inch sized circles onto the parchment paper squares.
Place the piped dough circles with the parchment paper into the heated oil.
Gently remove the parchment paper with tongs and fry the donuts for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are a nice caramel golden color.
Once cooked and golden, remove the crullers from the hot oil and place them onto a cooling rack over paper towels to drain the excess oil.
Repeat the frying process with the remaining dough.
Prepare the glaze
Whisk together the powdered sugar, corn syrup, hot water, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl until smooth.
Dip the cruller donuts, one at a time, into the bowl of glaze and use a fork to turn the doughnuts over to cover it with glaze completely.
Lift the donut out of the glaze and let as much glaze as you can drip back into the bowl.
Place the donut onto a wire cooling rack to let the excess glaze drip off.
Tip For Perfect Cruller Frying Experience
Make sure that you wait for the oil to reach 375 degrees F before adding in any of the donut dough because the results will not turn out nicely if the oil is too cold or too hot. Too hot of oil will cause the donuts and oil to burn, and too cold of oil will make the donuts soggy. The perfect temp will give you nice and crisp outsides with soft and delicate insides. Enjoy!
COPYCAT DUNKIN DONUTS CRULLERS RECIPE
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 4 ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp corn syrup
- 2-3 tsp hot water
- 2 tsp vanilla
- In a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat, combine water, butter, sugar, salt and vanilla. Bring to a boil.
- Add the flour and stir in until incorporated.
- Continue cooking and stirring the mixture until it begins coating the bottom of the saucepan in places. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully transfer the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Mix on a medium-low speed for a few minutes, or until the mixture has cooled slightly.
- While the mixer is running, add the eggs one at a time, letting each one incorporate into the mixture before adding the next.
- Once all of the eggs have been added, continue mixing until smooth and glossy and the dough starts to hold a little shape.
- In a large stockpot, preheat 3-4” of oil to 375°. Cut a piece of parchment paper into 3-4” squares.
- Spoon the dough into a piping bag fitted with a very large open star tip. Pipe dough circles about 3-4" in diameter onto the parchment squares.
- Place the piped dough circles with the parchment into the preheated oil.
- Gently remove the parchment paper with tongs and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until a caramel golden color.
- Once cooked and golden, carefully remove the crullers from the oil and place on a wire cooling rack over paper towels to let any excess oil drip out.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining dough.
- In a small mixing bowl add powdered sugar, corn syrup, hot water and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- One at a time, dip warm crullers into the bowl of glaze. Using a fork, turn the doughnut over to completely cover it with the glaze.
- Lift the donut out of the glaze and let as much excess glaze drip back into the bowl then place onto a wire cooling rack to let the excess glaze drip off.
How long are cruller donuts good for?
Donuts are always best on the same day that they are made, especially when they’re still a bit warm from the fryer- yum! But, that said, these donuts can be kept stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days and still taste pretty great.
Can I reheat cruller donuts?
Yes, if you want to restore some of that fresh warm taste to soften a stale donut, you can place it on a plate and pop it into the microwave for about 5-8 seconds. This will help to restore some of that freshness to the donut.
Check out these other great donut breakfast recipe ideas that you’ll enjoy!
- BAKED MONSTER HALLOWEEN DONUTS
- PUMPKIN DONUT HOLES
- FUNFETTI CAKE MIX DONUTS
- BAKED BANANA DONUTS
- OLD FASHIONED SOUR CREAM DONUTS
- RASPBERRY PUFF PASTRY DONUTS
- 3-INGREDIENT BAKED PUMPKIN DONUTS
- HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY GLAZED DONUTS
- EASY VALENTINES DONUTS
- EASY 15-MINUTE DONUTS, 3 RECIPES
- 15-MINUTE PUMPKIN SPICE DONUTS
- EASY CHOCOLATE GLAZED DONUTS
Made from scratch in the convenience of your own kitchen, you can enjoy a tasty batch of copycat dunkin donuts crullers fresh from the fryer. No shoes, no long lines, and plenty of donuts to share.