Cherry Chocolate Scones made with fresh cherries & dark chocolate for a perfect soft, sweet chocolate scone. Soft & flavorful homemade scone recipe great for breakfast or a treat!
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”pB7iv7NL” upload-date=”2021-11-17T14:20:16.000Z” name=”BSB117_Cherry Chocolate Scones_WS.mp4″ description=”Cherry Chocolate Scones made with fresh cherries & dark chocolate for a perfect soft, sweet chocolate scone. Soft & flavorful homemade scone recipe great for breakfast or a treat!” player-type=”default” override-embed=”default”]
You’re going to love how simple and easy it is to make these chocolate cherry scones. What’s even better is that they are bursting with flavor thanks to the fresh cherries inside!
What are cherry chocolate scones?
Cherry chocolate scones are a tasty homemade breakfast pastry with a simple chocolate drizzle on top. With a chocolate flavored scone batter, chopped chocolate pieces and fresh cherries inside, these aren’t your ordinary scones recipe- they’re way better. Scones double a snack or even dessert.
To pit cherries, you can simply cut the cherry in half and remove the pit. However if you love cherries like we do, it’s smart to get some type of Cherry Pitter. As our family’s grown, I’ve found myself getting a new cherry pitter every few years to accommodate the large number of cherries we enjoy. Here are my favorites:
- Small Cherry Pitter (Pits 1 Cherry at a time)
- Medium Cherry Pitter (Pits 6 Cherries at a time)
- Large Cherry Pitter (Pits 20+ Cherries very quickly!)
-Flour: We need 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour to make the base for these scones. You can use all-purpose flour or bread flour.
-Cocoa powder: Using 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa in the scone batter we can really get a great chocolate flavor in every bite!
-Baking powder: The important leavening agent that works to get these scones fluffy and delicious.
-Salt: The salt works as a flavor enhancer and helps to bring out the amazing flavors in this scone recipe.
-Butter: 1/2 a cup (or one stick) of salted cold butter will help to make sure that the dough ends up buttery and fluffy, The colder your butter is and the less you overwork it, the better the dough turns out!
-Sugar: We don’t need much sugar in this dough, just 1/2 a cup will do, but it’s enough to make these go from savory to sweet.
-Sour cream: Sour cream is a leavener, a richness enhancer, and a thickener all in one. It thickens the dough and disappears in the baking process leaving you a light and fluffy scone in return. The sour cream leaves behind a soft buttery texture.
-Milk: the liquid that brings all of the dry ingredients together is milk, working to create a dough that we can mold and shape with our hands.
-Cherries: We want 1 cup of fresh cherries that have been pitted and halved. This will give us plenty of cherries in every scone.
-Chocolate Drizzle: Using 2 oz of chocolate and 1 tbsp of heavy cream or half and half we can create a small batch of chocolate ganache to drizzle over the top of the scones. It not only looks great but adds yet another way to enjoy chocolate on these tasty breakfast pastries!
Here’s how to make Homemade Scones
Pre-heat oven to 400F degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray it with nonstick cooking spray and then set it aside.
Make the Scone Dough
Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
Cut in the butter using a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs, or use a food processor to do it and save yourself some effort.
Add in the chopped chocolate pieces and sugar, stirring to combine.
Make a well or indent in the center of the chocolate flour mixture and add the sour cream and milk to it. Gently mix everything together. Note that it will seem dry at this point, but do not add in any additional liquid yet.
After mixing the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients together, add in the fresh cherries and gently fold them in to combine.
If the mixture still feels dry after adding in the cherries, then add in milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes together to form a dough.
Turn the dough out onto a floured counter or a pastry mat and then gently press it into a 9 inch circle about 1 inch thick.
Using a sharp knife, cut the circle into 8 wedges and then place them on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake, Cool & Glaze Scones
Bake in the oven for 22 minutes until the scones have risen and set.
Remove the cooling rack and let them cool completely.
After the scones have cooled make the chocolate drizzle by mixing the chocolate and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl and heating in 15 second intervals, stirring between each until smooth. You can also use a double broiler if you prefer.
Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the cooled scones and let the chocolate set. Serve and enjoy!
Be sure to use cold butter as this will help the scones rise better.
Be careful not to overwork the dough as this will result in tougher scones.
Serve these scones split open with vanilla ice cream and fresh cherries for an easy dessert.
Can I Freeze Scones?
Yes, you can freeze scones in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Thaw on the countertop or on the defrost setting in the microwave. I prefer to serve scones warm, so heat just prior to serving.
Cherry Chocolate Scones
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold salted butter, cubed
- 1 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (or 2 TBSP mini chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped heaping 1/4 cup
- 1 tbsp heavy cream or half & half
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter, and using a pastry blender cut it into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs (you can also use a food processor for this part, pulsing until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs).
- Add the chopped chocolate and sugar to the dry mix and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients then add the sour cream and milk. Gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. It may seem a bit dry at this point, but do not add more liquid yet.
- After mixing the dry and wet ingredients, add the cherries and gently fold them in. Let sit 5 minutes. If the mixture is still dry, add milk 1 tbsp at a time until it comes together to form a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured counter or pastry mat and gently press into approximately a 9-inch circle (1 inch thick).
- With a sharp knife, cut into 8 wedges and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 22 minutes until scones are risen and set. Remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Chocolate Drizzle
- Mix the chopped chocolate and heavy cream and heat in a microwave on 15 second intervals until melted and smooth when stirred. (If you don’t have a microwave, you can heat over a double boiler.)
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cooled scones. Drizzled chocolate will set as it cools. Serve and enjoy!
Can I use dried cherries instead of fresh?
Yes, but you will need to add ¼ cup water to compensate for the reduced liquid.
Can I use frozen cherries instead of fresh?
Yes, frozen cherries are fantastic in this recipe! Cut them in half while still frozen then just add them to the recipe- they will thaw a bit as you let the dough sit.
Can I substitute yogurt for the sour cream?
Yes, if you would like to substitute yogurt instead of sour cream, plain, vanilla or even Cherry Greek yogurt will work best.
You can use 2 TBSP mini chocolate chips instead of baker’s chocolate.
Do I need to refrigerate these scones?
Because of the fresh fruit, it is recommended to store these in the refrigerator. They should keep 2-3 days if kept in an airtight container.
They can be reheated in the microwave and are excellent when warm!
- Pumpkin Scones
- Lemon Raspberry Streusel Muffins
- Blackberry Vanilla Scones
- Pumpkin Breakfast Cake
- Cranberry Orange Scones
- Easy Homemade Donuts
- Homemade Strawberry Glazed Donuts
- Spiced Cranberry Breakfast Cake
- 15 Minute Pumpkin Spice Donuts
- Honey Cream Cheese Croissants
- Amazing Blueberry Muffins
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Butterhorns
- Easy Valentines Donuts
- Raspberry Puff Pastry Donuts
- Easy 15 Minute Donuts (3 recipes)
These homemade scones are filled with chocolate and fresh cherries making them the perfect afternoon snack or dessert. Cherry Chocolate Scones made with fresh cherries & dark chocolate for a perfect soft, sweet chocolate scone. Soft & flavorful homemade scone recipe great for breakfast or a treat!