Blueberry Dump Cake is a delicious dessert that only requires a few ingredients and can be prepared in no time. This incredible simple cake recipe is packed with sweet berry flavor in every bite, it is the perfect treat for so many occasions!
Whether you are looking for a quick and easy dessert to make for your family or a dish to bring to a potluck, this 3 ingredient cake is a great choice. With its sweet blueberry filling and buttery cake topping, this recipe for a blueberry cake is sure to become a new favorite.
What is a dump cake?
Blueberry Dump Cake is a type of cobbler that is made by “dumping” all the ingredients into a baking dish and baking it in the oven. The result is a warm and gooey dessert that is perfect for serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
The ingredients for Blueberry Dump Cake are simple and easy to find. They include blueberry pie filling, yellow cake mix, and butter. The pie filling is spread evenly in the bottom of a baking dish, the cake mix is sprinkled on top, then cubed butter is placed on top of the cake mix. It’s then baked in the oven until it is golden brown and bubbly.
Blueberry Dump Cake is a great dessert for any occasion because it is so easy to make. It is perfect for potlucks, family gatherings, or just a weeknight dessert. The best part is that it can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until it is time to serve.
Why you’ll love this Easy Dump Cake Recipe
- Fast prep time. This recipe only takes about 5 minutes of effort to throw together, so you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time relaxing while the cake bakes.
- It is customizable. You can add in or adjust whatever you want with this blueberry dump cake recipe. Want a mix of berries? Different cake mix? Want to add lemon zest or white chocolate chips? The sky is the limit!
- You can use homemade blueberry pie filling. If you have a batch of homemade pie filling on hand, or you have some fresh blueberries that you are looking to use up, then go ahead and use them for this recipe. You will need roughly 5-6 cups of homemade filling.
Dump Cake Ingredients
Blueberry filling: You will need two 21-ounce sized cans of your favorite blueberry pie filling. This is going to be the flavorful, sweet base of the cake.
Cake mix: Use one 15.25-ounce-sized box of yellow cake mix, any brand you prefer will work great.
Butter: Add in 1 stick of butter (½ cup), softened, to make the cake rich in flavor and give the cake mix some moisture as it bakes.
How to Make Blueberry Dump Cake
Start by getting the oven preheated to 350 degrees F.
Then, grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
Next, dump the blueberry pie filling into the bottom of the prepared baking dish and then spread it out to cover the entire bottom of the pan in one even layer.
Then, sprinkle the dry cake mix on top of the blueberry pie filling. You want it to spread it out as evenly as possible. Do not mix these ingredients together, keep the cake mix right on top of the blueberry filling.
Next, cut the stick of butter into 12 equal sized slices.
Proceed to arrange the butter over the top of the cake mix so that it is evenly spaced and will be well distributed as it bakes.
Put the baking pan in the preheated oven and bake for 60-70 minutes. You will be able to tell the cake is done when it has all turned a golden color.
Serve your cake warm, slice, serve and enjoy!
If desired, serve with cool whip or vanilla ice cream on top for added deliciousness!
Variations of Blueberry Dump Cake
Blueberry Dump Cake is a versatile dessert that can be customized to suit individual preferences. Here are some variations to try:
- Peach Blueberry Dump Cake: Replace half of the blueberries with sliced peaches for a delicious twist on the classic recipe.
- Lemon Blueberry Dump Cake: Add a tablespoon of lemon zest and a teaspoon of lemon juice to the blueberry filling for a bright, citrusy flavor.
- Chocolate Blueberry Dump Cake: Sprinkle chocolate chips or chunks over the cake mix before baking for a decadent chocolate-blueberry treat.
- Gluten-Free Blueberry Dump Cake: Use a gluten-free cake mix and ensure all other ingredients are gluten-free to make this dessert suitable for those with gluten sensitivities.
- Vegan Blueberry Dump Cake: Use a vegan cake mix and vegan butter to make this dessert vegan-friendly.
Blueberry Dump Cake
- 42 oz blueberry pie filling two 21-oz cans
- 15.25 oz box of yellow cake mix
- ½ cup butter softened (1 stick)
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Cake batter: Dump the blueberry pie filling into the bottom of the prepared baking dish and then spread it out to cover the entire bottom of the pan in one even layer.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the pie filling.
- Cut the butter into 12 equal pieces and arrange the pieces on top of the dry cake mix evenly.
- Bake: Bake for 60-70 minutes. Cake is done once all of the dry cake mix has turned golden.
- Serve warm, and top with cool whip or ice cream if desired. Enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Baking time can vary!
Baking time may vary by oven. When making dump cakes, I tend to set my timer for 50 minutes to check it and determine how much longer it needs to bake based on cake coloring. Golden brown is perfect!
How long is blueberry dump cake good for?
This cake can be kept stored in a tightly sealed container for up to 3-4 days at room temperature, but you can also store it in the fridge if desired.
Can I use a different type of boxed cake mix and fruit?
Absolutely! You can use a lemon-flavored cake mix for a nice spring flavor combination, but you can use any cake mix that you think would pair nicely with the taste of your chosen fruit filling. Lemon cake with blueberry would be tasty, or a yellow cake mix with peach filling too would be amazing. If you are a cherry fan, a chocolate cake mix with cherry pie filling would be absolutely sensational.
How can I make blueberry dump cake without using cake mix?
To make blueberry dump cake without using cake mix, you can make your own cake batter from scratch using all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, and butter. Mix the dry ingredients together, then add the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Pour the batter over the blueberry filling and bake as directed.
Blueberry dump cake is a delicious dessert that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with other foods. Here are some serving suggestions to enhance the flavor and presentation of this tasty treat.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: One of the most popular ways to serve blueberry dump cake is with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The cold, creamy texture of the ice cream complements the warm, gooey cake, creating a perfect balance of flavors and temperatures. To make it even more special, sprinkle some chopped nuts or drizzle some caramel sauce on top.
- Whipped Cream: Another classic pairing for blueberry dump cake is whipped cream. The light, fluffy texture of the cream adds a refreshing contrast to the dense, rich cake. You can use store-bought whipped cream or make your own by beating heavy cream with sugar and vanilla extract. For a festive touch, add some fresh berries or chocolate shavings on top.
- Fresh Berries: Blueberry dump cake is already bursting with blueberry flavor, but you can take it to the next level by serving it with fresh berries. Strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries all go well with blueberries and add a pop of color and freshness to the dessert. You can mix them together or arrange them in a decorative pattern on top of the cake.
- Coffee or Tea: To balance out the sweetness of the cake, serve it with a cup of coffee or tea. The bitterness of the coffee or the tannins of the tea will cut through the richness of the cake and refresh your palate. You can also add a splash of milk or cream to your drink for added creaminess.
What are the best tips for making a successful dump cake?
The best tips for making a successful dump cake include using a baking dish that is the correct size, spreading the fruit filling evenly in the bottom of the dish, and distributing the cake mix evenly over the top. You can also add nuts or other toppings for extra flavor and texture. Be sure to follow the baking time and temperature instructions carefully, and let the cake cool for a few minutes before serving.
Here are some more great cake recipes you will enjoy!
- OREO DUMP CAKE
- ALMOND RASPBERRY SHEET CAKE
- PEACH DUMP CAKE
- MARSHMALLOW STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
- PUMPKIN DUMP CAKE
- LEMON BLUEBERRY POUND CAKE
- REESE’S CHOCOLATE DUMP CAKE
- LAYERED LEMON CHIFFON CAKE
- APPLE DUMP CAKE
- CHOCOLATE ORANGE BUNDT CAKE
- BERRY DUMP CAKE RECIPE
- AMBROSIA BUNDT CAKE
Blueberry Dump Cake is a fantastic dessert, made with minimal ingredients but loaded with delicious flavor! Made with canned blueberry pie filling and boxed cake mix, this simple cake recipe could not be any easier to make.