Blueberry Dump Cake is a fantastic dessert, made with blueberry pie filling & cake mix! This simple fruit dump cake recipe could not be any easier to make!
This incredible blueberry cake recipe is packed with sweet berry flavor in every bite, it is the perfect treat for so many occasions. Serve this 3 ingredient blueberry dump cake up this summer at a backyard BBQ, at a baby shower for a boy (blue theme) or save it for the family on Sunday night.
What is a dump cake?
A dump cake is literally that. It is a cake that is assembled by “dumping” ingredients together and baking it to perfection. Unlike other cake recipes that require mixing ingredients in bowls before pouring into a pan, this one is made right there in the pan, limiting the number of dirty dishes created while maximizing flavor.
There is not a clear determination of how the first dump cake was created, but we can say it was somewhere around 1980 that there was a first reference to it. It all started with crushed pineapple, cherry pie filling and a box of yellow cake mix. Duncan Hines published a recipe in a holiday baking catalogue, and the rest is history! We have all been enjoying these sensational cakes ever since!
Why we think you will love this recipe
Here are just a few more reasons why you should try this tasty cake recipe today.
- Fast prep time. This recipe only takes about 5 minutes of effort to throw together, so you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time relaxing while the cake bakes.
- It is customizable. You can add in or adjust whatever you want with this blueberry dump cake recipe. Want a mix of berries? Different cake mix? Want to add lemon zest or white chocolate chips? The sky is the limit!
- You can use homemade blueberry pie filling. If you have a batch of homemade pie filling on hand, or you have some fresh blueberries that you are looking to use up, then go ahead and use them for this recipe. You will need roughly 5-6 cups of homemade filling.
Dump Cake Ingredients
Blueberry filling: You will need (2) 21-ounce sized cans of your favorite blueberry pie filling. This is going to be the flavorful sweet base of our cake.
Cake mix: Use (1) 15.25-ounce-sized box of your favorite brand of yellow cake mix.
Butter: You need 1 stick of softened butter (½ cup) to help make the cake extra flavorful and give the cake mix more moisture as it bakes.
How to Make Blueberry Dump Cake
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Then, grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
Start by dumping the blueberry pie filling into the bottom of the prepared baking dish and then spread it out to cover the entire bottom of the pan in one even layer.
Then, sprinkle the dry cake mix on top of the blueberry pie filling. You want it to spread out as evenly as possible. Do not mix these ingredients together, keep the cake mix right on top of the blueberry filling.
Next, cut the stick of butter into 12 equal sized slices.
Proceed to arrange the butter over the top of the cake mix so that it is evenly spaced over and will be well distributed as it bakes.
Continue to put the baking pan in the oven and bake for 60-70 minutes. You will be able to tell the cake is done when it has all turned a golden color.
Serve your cake warm, slice, and enjoy!
If desired, serve with cool whip or vanilla ice cream on top for added deliciousness!
BLUEBERRY DUMP CAKE
- 2 cans blueberry pie filling (21oz each)
- 1 box (15.25oz) yellow cake mix
- ½ cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the blueberry pie filling into the bottom of a 9×13” cake pan. Spread to make an even layer.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the pie filling.
- Cut the butter into 12 equal pieces.
- Arrange the butter on top of the dry cake mix.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes. Cake is done once all of the dry cake mix has turned golden.
- Serve warm, and top with cool whip or ice cream if desired.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Baking time can vary!
Baking time may vary by oven. When making dump cakes, I tend to set my timer for 50 minutes to check it and determine how much longer it needs to bake based on cake coloring. Golden brown is perfect!
Can I use a different type of boxed cake mix and fruit?
Absolutely! You can use a lemon-flavored cake mix for a nice spring flavor combination, but you can use any cake mix that you think would pair nicely with the taste of your chosen fruit filling. Lemon cake with blueberry would be tasty, or a yellow cake mix with peach filling too would be amazing. If you are a cherry fan, a chocolate cake mix with cherry pie filling would be absolutely sensational.
How long is blueberry dump cake good for?
This cake can be kept stored in a tightly sealed container for up to 3-4 days at room temperature, but you can also store it in the fridge if desired.
Here are some more great cake recipes you will enjoy!
- OREO DUMP CAKE
- ALMOND RASPBERRY SHEET CAKE
- PEACH DUMP CAKE
- MARSHMALLOW STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
- PUMPKIN DUMP CAKE
- LEMON BLUEBERRY POUND CAKE
- REESE’S CHOCOLATE DUMP CAKE
- LAYERED LEMON CHIFFON CAKE
- APPLE DUMP CAKE
- CHOCOLATE ORANGE BUNDT CAKE
- BERRY DUMP CAKE RECIPE
- AMBROSIA BUNDT CAKE
Blueberry Dump Cake is a fantastic dessert, made with minimal ingredients but loaded with delicious flavor! Made with canned blueberry pie filling and boxed cake mix, this fruit dump cake recipe could not be any easier to make!
Leave a Reply