Grilled cheese with bacon is a tasty way to enjoy a traditional grilled cheese sandwich, but with an upgrade. The crunchy golden toasted bread filled with melted cheese and cooked bacon will have you never wanting a plain sandwich again!
Enjoying a hot and buttery grilled cheese sandwich straight from the griddle with a nice bowl of soup, or on its own is a great way to enjoy easy comfort food. Grilled cheese sandwiches are such a classic, it’s hard to improve upon something that is already so good.
But I did exactly that. I improved a classic and turned it into something heavenly. This bacon grilled cheese is the best grilled cheese recipe ever, not just because it has bacon in it, but because that bacon is prepared in a way that it won’t all pull out in strips as you take your first bite!
Making this Grilled Cheese With Bacon
This recipe is extremely simple (just like a grilled cheese should be) but it still tastes like a gourmet grilled cheese recipe! The best thing about this recipe is that you can get creative with your grilled cheese.
If you enjoy your grilled cheese with mayo, spread some on the bread instead of butter. If you know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich on the stove, you can use a pan instead of a griddle. You can even use your favorite cheeses and bread!
What Cheese Goes Well With Bacon?
Bacon is a delicious flavor on its own but luckily it tastes great with many different kinds of cheese. Consider Colby, Mild Cheddar, Muenster, Provolone, or even Monterey Jack.
Do You Butter Both Sides Of The Bread For Grilled Cheese?
While you could apply butter to both sides of a piece of bread to add better flavor, that might be overkill. The standard procedure states that applying butter, mayo or even pam to the outside slices of the bread before placing it on the pan is the best method.
Bacon Grilled Cheese Ingredients
-8 slices cheese (I like to mix my cheeses)
-4 wide slices of bread (I love using sourdough)
-5 strips of bacon
– butter, for spreading
How to Make Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Preheat your griddle to about 375 degrees. Spread some butter (or mayo) on one side of each slice of bread.
Cut the raw bacon into small pieces ranging from the size of a dime to the size of a quarter. Cook the bacon pieces on the griddle for 5-7 minutes, until they’re brown and starting to crisp.
Remove the bacon from the pan and then place them on a paper towel. Quickly rinse some of the bacon grease out of the griddle and return to heat.
Place 2 pieces of bread butter side down on the griddle. Lay 2 pieces of cheese on top. Divide the bacon crumbles in half and place a portion on each sandwich. Add 2 more slices of cheese and then the other slice of bread, butter side up. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the bread, is lightly golden. Flip the sandwich and cook on the opposite side until it’s golden.
Remove the grilled cheese from the heat, slice in half and then enjoy!
- 8 slices cheese I like to mix provolone, mild cheddar, Muenster, etc.
- 4 wide slices of bread I love sourdough
- 5 strips of bacon
- butter for spreading
- Preheat griddle to about 375 degrees. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Cut bacon into small pieces ranging from the size of a dime to the size of a quarter. Cook on the griddle 5-7 minutes, until brown and starting to crisp. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel. Quickly rinse some of the bacon grease out of the griddle and return to heat.
- Place 2 pieces of bread butter side down on the griddle. Lay 2 pieces of cheese on top. Divide the bacon crumbles in half and place on the cheese. Add 2 more slices of cheese, then other slice of bread, butter side up. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until lightly golden. Flip and cook on the opposite side until golden.
- Remove from heat, slice in half and enjoy!
What Is The Best Cheese To Use For Grilled Cheese Sandwiches?
Using a cheese that melts nicely but still gives a nice flavor to the sandwich is important in crafting the perfect grilled cheese. Getting a cheese that is stringy like a mozzarella stick when you bite into it is just a happy bonus. You want a cheese that can complement your bread and any additional ingredients you add.
What Is The Best Bread For Grilled Cheese?
You can use any bread currently sitting in your pantry to create a grilled cheese, but there are some types of bread that people prefer for their grilled cheese sandwiches. Some of the most popular bread are White, Sourdough, Multigrain, Pullman Bread, Pumpernickel and Dark Rye bread.
Each bread comes with its own textures, density, and flavor profile so it’s important to take those into consideration when planning the contents of your bacon grilled cheese.
Do You Love Sandwiches Too? Check Out These Other Sandwich Recipes
- Sandwich Appetizer Skewers
- Pancake Breakfast Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
You’re going to love this creative grilled cheese recipe because it puts a twist on the traditional classic. This bacon grilled cheese is arguably the best grilled cheese sandwich ever and it’s simple enough you can make it over and over again.