Salted peanut chews are a yummy cookie bar that tastes just like a homemade PayDay bar, but better. Salty, sweet, crunchy and filled with a creamy marshmallow middle, this treat is definitely one to beat!
Finding recipes using salted peanuts is sometimes a challenge when you’re looking for a salty/sweet combination, but this peanut chews recipe is the only one you’ll ever need. This peanut chews candy goes great at large gatherings, potlucks, church functions and BBQ’s and they always go quickly.
Making This Sweet And Salty Peanut Bars Recipe
You can use the listed Betty Crocker Peanut Butter cookie mix or you can use your own homemade peanut butter cookie dough for this recipe. It turns out the same either way, but it’s all about your preference. Using a cheap pouch of cookie dough is a pretty easy way to cut down on the prep and cleanup.
What If I Don’t Have Peanut Butter Chips?
Instead of using peanut butter chips I used ¼ cup of peanut butter and 10 oz of almond bark and the recipe turned out delicious. You can try that!
Tip For The Chocolate Lovers
If you see this recipe and think, needs chocolate then try this- swap out the peanut butter chips for semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips. Or do a 50/50 combination of the two!
Salted Peanut Chews Ingredients
-1 pouch Betty Crocker Peanut Butter cookie mix
-3 TBSP vegetable oil
-1 TBSP water
-3 cups mini marshmallows
-2/3 cup light corn syrup
-1/4 cup butter or margarine
-2 tsp vanilla
-1 (10 oz) bag peanut butter chips*
-2 cups Rice Krispies
-2 cups salted peanuts
How to Make Salted Peanut Chews
Heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 pan to prevent sticking. In a large bowl, stir together the cookie mix, oil, water and egg until a soft dough forms. Press the dough into the bottom of a prepared pan with your hand.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until set.
Meanwhile, combine the corn syrup, butter, vanilla, and peanut butter chips in a saucepan over low heat, until everything is melted and the mixture is smooth. Keep the heat set to low- you just want to melt and combine the ingredients. Add in the peanuts and the Rice Krispies.
When the cookie is done, immediately sprinkle the marshmallows on top. Return the pan back to the oven and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, until the marshmallows begin to puff.
Remove from the oven and immediately pour the saucepan mixture over the marshmallows. I thought it was going to be hard to pour it since it looked kind of thick, but it really was easy. Don’t try and spread it around, it’s ok to have a bit of marshmallow showing through here and there.
Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes. Cut into squares.
- 1 pouch Betty Crocker Peanut Butter cookie mix
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 Eggs
- 3 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 2/3 cups Light Corn Syrup
- 1/4 cups Butter or Margarine
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 10oz Bag of Peanut Butter Chips
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 2 cups Salted Peanuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan to prevent sticking. In a large bowl, stir cookie mix, oil, water and egg until a soft dough forms. Press dough into bottom of prepared pan with your hand.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until set.
- Meanwhile, combine corn syrup, butter, vanilla and peanut butter chips in a saucepan over low heat, until everything is melted and mixture is smooth. Keep the heat low- you just want to melt and combine the ingredients. Add peanuts and Rice Krispies.
- When the cookie is done, immediately sprinkle marshmallows on top. Return to oven and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, until marshmallows begin to puff.
- Remove from the oven and immediately pour mixture over marshmallows. I thought it was going to be hard to pour it since it looked kind of thick, but it really was easy. Don't try and spread it around, it's ok to have a bit of marshmallow showing through here and there.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Can You Freeze Homemade PayDay Bars?
This candy can be frozen but you will definitely want to thaw it completely before eating unless you want to pay your dentist a small fortune soon. I also recommend cutting the pieces into serving sizes, individually wrapping them with plastic wrap and then keeping them in an airtight container so that it’s easier to grab and go.
How To Store Peanut Chews
Keep your peanut chews in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. You can also keep them in the fridge. While they were probably meant to be eaten at room temperature, many people claim they taste even better when chilled!
Can I Use a Different Type of Nut?
If you don’t have salted peanuts on hand consider trying salted cashews. They won’t taste exactly the same but they do go great with the flavor combination and it is sure to be a hit too!
Look At These Other Great Candy Recipes!
- Candy Cane Fudge
- Raspberry Jelly Candy
- Homemade Candy Corn
- Martha Washington Candy
- Valentine Candy Bark
- Homemade Peppermint Patties
- Salted Nut Roll Bars
- Buckeye Balls
- Peanut Butter Fudge
- Peanut Clusters
- Red Velvet Oreo Balls
- Christmas Candy Puffcorn
- Halloween Candy Corn Granola Bars
If you’re looking for a salty-sweet and sugary treat to satisfy those cravings or for a delicious candy to take to your next potluck, make a batch of these Salted Peanut Chews and enjoy!