Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are delicious and can be served as a snack, breakfast or even dessert if you’d like! This chocolate chip muffins recipe is made with basic ingredients most likely already in your kitchen and comes together in about 30 minutes or less.
Make these pumpkin muffins as soon as the season changes, the leaves begin to fall and it is socially acceptable to make pumpkin flavor EVERTHING. I altered the original recipe for chocolate pumpkin muffins to make them slightly healthier, you kids will love them as much as you will.
Simple Chocolate Chip Muffins with Pumpkin
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip muffins are pretty popular around my house these days, I can make everything pumpkin flavored now that it is officially fall. The original recipe called for vegetable oil which I swapped with applesauce and coconut oil, the taste and texture are both still incredible. You can swap the entire amount of oil for applesauce, but when you do this, it does affect the texture quite a bit. I usually try to substitute half of the oil in a recipe with applesauce to help reduce the calories but still get the lighter texture that comes from using oil. Coconut oil is a fabulous oil to use in almost all baking, and in this recipe you can’t taste the coconut flavor at all because of the pumpkin and spices used.
WHY WE THINK YOU WILL LOVE THESE PUMPKIN MUFFINS
- Moist and healthy too. We swap out the vegetable oil for healthier ingredients but the muffins still come out moist, fluffy and oh so delicious.
- Great any time of the day. You can enjoy these amazing muffins as a snack, a slightly sweet breakfast treat and or even go well in school lunches. They are not overly sweet and make a great pick me up treat any time of day.
- Pumpkin and chocolate. Really, need I say more? I didn’t think so either.
PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFIN INGREDIENTS
Eggs: You need 4 eggs to make these muffins rich in taste and have a great texture too.
Sugar: Add in 2 cups of sugar to sweeten these muffins perfectly.
Pumpkin: For great taste, use one 15 oz. can of pure pumpkin. Be sure to use pure pumpkin and not the pumpkin pie filling.
Coconut oil: To make these muffins a bit healthier, use 3/4 cup of coconut oil, melted.
Applesauce: For even more health benefits, add in 3/4 cup of applesauce.
Flour: Use 3 cups of flour for the base and structure of this muffin recipe.
Baking soda: Adding in 2 teaspoons of baking soda will help these muffins bake to a lovely light texture.
Baking powder: Using 2 teaspoons of baking powder helps these muffins rise as they bake.
Cinnamon: You will need just 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to flavor these muffins nicely.
Salt: To help balance all the wonderful flavors in this recipe, add in 1 teaspoon of salt.
Chocolate chips: These muffins are not complete without adding in 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips for chocolatey chunks in every bite.
How to make Homemade Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
Start by getting the oven preheating to 400 degrees F. Then, fill a muffin pan with paper liners or silicon cups if you prefer those.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, pumpkin, applesauce and coconut oil together until smooth.
In a separate small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, whisk until well mixed.
Proceed to add the flour mixture to the wet pumpkin mixture and stir well until combined. Then, fold in chocolate chips.
Continue to fill the prepared paper-lined muffin pan, each cup about 3/4 full. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 16-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Let the muffins cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then serve and enjoy!
PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 15 oz. can pumpkin
- ¾ cup coconut oil melted
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Prep: Start by getting the oven preheating to 400 degrees F. Then, fill a muffin pan with paper liners or silicon cups if you prefer those.
- Batter: Next, in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, pumpkin, applesauce and coconut oil together until smooth. In a separate small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, whisk until well mixed.
- Proceed to add the flour mixture to the wet pumpkin mixture and stir well until combined. Then, fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake: Continue to fill the prepared paper-lined muffin pan, each cup about 3/4full. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 16-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let the muffins cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then serve and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
HOW LONG ARE CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN MUFFINS GOOD FOR?
I recommend eating these muffins within 3 days for the best tasting results. You can keep them stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days but eating these muffins sooner means they will taste so much better. Yum!
CAN YOU FREEZE CHOCOLATE CHIP PUMPKIN MUFFINS?
Yes, these muffins can be frozen. Simply place them in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before eating by placing a muffin (or more) on the counter for about 30 minutes to come to room temperature.
What are the Best Measuring Cups?
I always have 4-5 sets of measuring cups on hand at any given time. Here are some characteristics of my favorites:
- Use stainless steel measuring cups. They hold up better, last longer and I can run them through the dishwasher a million times without any issues.
- Use measuring cups with no lip and at least a 3″ handle. Smaller, 1″ squat handles are just awkward. And the cups that have a lip are harder to level ingredients.
- Get nesting cups that can be separated.
- Go for a large set of cups with uncommon measurements! I have a big set with a 2 cup measuring cup, a 1 ½ cup measuring cup and even a ⅔ cup. I’m amazed at how often I use them!
If you liked these muffins, try more amazing recipes here:
- Double Berry Cheesecake Muffins
- Lemon Raspberry Streusel Muffins
- Nutella Banana Muffins
- Amazing Blueberry Muffins
- Cheesy Cornbread Muffins
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins
- Easy Pumpkin Muffins
- “Doughnut” Muffins
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Lemon Pound Cake Muffins
- Blueberry Cheesecake Muffins
- Lemon Zucchini Muffins
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Iced Banana Almond Muffins
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are soft, moist and can be served as a snack, breakfast or even dessert if you’d like! This chocolate chip muffins recipe is made with simple ingredients that are most likely already in your kitchen and comes together in about 30 minutes or less.