Oreo Red Velvet Brownies are made with a chocolate brownie base, red velvet cake on top & Oreo cookies in between! An incredible Red Velvet Oreo Brownie mashup!
Every bite you take of these rich and exquisite dessert squares will feel like chocolate paradise. It may be love at first sight but it is the first bite that will have you swooning hard for these sweets. You can not go wrong with these Red Velvet Oreo Brownies bars. They will always be a huge hit whether they are served at a party, during the holidays, or on a weeknight at home.
Red Velvet Brownies with Oreos
These are unlike any dessert you have ever had before, these loaded brownies are packed with incredible layers of deliciousness. A layer of crunchy Oreos is sandwiched between soft, delicate red velvet cake and fudgy brownies. A smooth, thick, chocolate ganache is layered on top and sprinkled with mini chocolate chips and Oreo pieces to really bring this recipe home.
Red Velvet Brownie Bars Ingredients:
-Brownie mix: You will need 1 box of brownie mix that has been prepared with eggs, oil, and water as per instructions on the box. I personally love the Betty Crocker Fudge brownie mix, for this recipe it provides just the right amount of fudgy goodness.
-Oreos: About 24 Oreo cookies should be enough to make the layer called for in this dessert recipe. Buying one package will be good and oopps, look, left over cookies for a snack!
-Red velvet cake: Use a box of red velvet cake mix that has been prepared according to package instructions. Again, Betty Crocker makes a super moist option that would be perfect for this recipe. You could also swap it out for chocolate or vanilla cake mix if you are not a fan of red velvet cake.
For the chocolate ganache you will need:
-Heavy cream: You will need ⅔ cups of heavy whipping cream to make the ganache creamy and rich.
-Chocolate chips: Use 1 ½ cups of chocolate chips.
Toppings you will need:
-Chocolate chips: You will want about ⅓ cup of mini chocolate chips for the topping, although regular-sized chips or even white chocolate chips will also work well.
-Oreos: Use ⅔ cups of crushed Oreo cookies for added looks and flavor.
How to Make Red Velvet Oreo Brownies
First things first, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and spray the inside of a 9×13 baking dish well with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl prepare the brownie batter as instructed on the box and then pour into your baking pan. Spread out into an even layer.
Then place the baking dish into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the top of the brownies has set but it isn’t completely baked through.
Remove the brownie from the oven. Line the top with 24 Oreos in an even layer.
Red Velvet Layer
In another mixing bowl, combine the red velvet cake mix with eggs, oil, and water as instructed on the package. Do not overmix the red velvet cake mix as this will cause the gluten to overdevelop and make the cake crumbly in texture.
Proceed to pour the red cake mix over the top of the Oreo cookies and spread it out into an even layer.
Put back in the over to bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick can be inserted into the cake portion and come out clean, or with a few moist crumbs.
Once baked, remove from the oven and place onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
To prepare the chocolate ganache, start by heating the heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl for one minute.
Continue to pour the heated cream over the chocolate chips in a bowl and let sit for 1 minute.
Then whisk until smooth and thick. Note that you can use an immersion blender to make this process easier.
Pour the ganache over the top of the cake.
Spread it out to cover the entire surface of the top of the cake.
Sprinkle the top with mini chocolate chips and Oreo cookie pieces.
Let the brownies rest for 20 minutes to allow the ganache to cool and set.
Then slice, serve and enjoy!
OREO RED VELVET BROWNIES
- 18 oz brownie mix
- 1 egg*
- ½ cup oil*
- ½ cup water*
- 24 Oreo cookies whole
- 15.25 oz red velvet cake mix
- 1 ¼ cup water*
- ½ cup oil*
- 3 eggs*
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup crushed oreo pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with non stick baking spray and set aside.
- Mix up the brownie mix per the instructions on the box (using the ingredients stated on the box). Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth out.
- Place into the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until the brownies have set but are not completely baked. Remove from the oven.
- Line the top with 24 Oreos.
- Mix the red velvet cake mix per the instructions on the box (using the ingredients stated on the box). Pour over the oreos and smooth out.
- Place into the oven to bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the cake portion comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Once baked, remove from the oven and place onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate ganache: Heat the heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Pour the heated heavy cream over the chocolate chips and cover. Let set for 3 minutes.
- Gently whisk the heavy cream and melted chocolate until a thick, smooth ganache has come together. Pour the ganache onto the red velvet cake. Spread over the surface of the cake. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and oreo pieces. Let set for 20 minutes to allow the chocolate to set up before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
How long is red velvet cake brownies good for?
These brownie squares are good for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Proper storage in a container is improtant for the toppings to stat intact.
Can I freeze these brownie bars?
These brownie bars could be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container. I recommend that if you plan on freezing them, do not add the ganache until ready to serve/or the brownies have thawed. This will help the chocolate to stay in place and not “sweat” as it comes to room temperature making it look more appealing and less messy.
You can also omit the chocolate on top and individually wrap the squares so that they are ready to grab and eat when ready. Just take a square, place it in your lunch bag, and by lunchtime they should be thawed enough to eat.
Best Pan for Baking Brownies
I’ve baked a lot of brownies and the pan you use matters! I like to use a heavier, more durable pan made from stainless steel, glass or ceramic. I like to use one that has handles for easy oven transfers. If you opt for non-stick, make sure you use a high quality non-stick like ceramic pans as they hold up better over the years. Heavier pans will bake brownies at a more even temperature, although don’t worry, the sides will still get a bit chewier than the rest! Who else likes brownie corners as much as I do?! (Did you know there’s even a pan for baking ALL corner brownies?!)
More delicious brownie recipes you won’t want to miss:
- PUMPKIN BROWNIES
- BROWNIE GOODY BARS
- RASPBERRY SKILLET BROWNIES
- CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH BROWNIES
- RED VELVET BROWNIES
- BEST MARSHMALLOW BROWNIES
- GLAZED ORANGE BROWNIES
- BROWNIES WITH CHEESECAKE FROSTING
- ORANGE CHEESECAKE BROWNIES
- THE BEST MINT BROWNIES
- CHOCOLATE CHERRY BROWNIE BITES
- CHOCOLATE CHIP PEANUT BUTTER BROWNIES
These red velvet oreo brownies are a perfect dessert for any occasion. Packed with rich chocolate flavors, a layer of cookies, and topped with chocolate ganache this dessert recipe is perfect for any chocolate-lover out there.