Lasagna Rolls are all the flavors of lasagna, with a fraction of the work! These spinach lasagna rolls are made with 3 types of cheese, noodles & marinara sauce. Simple, crowd pleasing dinner recipe!
Roll up lasagna with spinach have the same flavors of a classic lasagna, but they are rolled up into single serving pocket of deliciousness! These lasagna rolls cook faster, easier to serve and is perfect for a simple dinner party or just a family weeknight dinner.
Lasagna Rolls with Spinach
What caught my eye about this lasagna roll up is how simple it is to make and how quickly it comes together. I also love the healthy portion of spinach in it too, combined with the creamy cheese mixture my kids don’t even complain about the “green stuff”! You can make this with or without meat, making this a versatile recipe to modify depending on your needs. I love a good classic lasagna, but I do not love how long they take to make and all the effort that goes into them. This recipe is perfect, it combines the best of both worlds…simplicity and flavor all ROLLED into one amazing dish!
Spinach Lasagna Rolls Ingredients
Lasagna noodles: You will need 12 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions. I salted the water generously, I think it enhances the flavor.
Spinach: Using 10-ounces frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained, gives these roll ups amazing flavor and health benefits!
Ricotta cheese: Adding in 15-ounces of ricotta cheese gives these rolls a wonderful and creamy texture. You can also use cottage cheese if you’d like.
Parmesan cheese: You need 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese for amazing flavor in this dish.
Egg: For a nice rich flavor, use 1 egg.
Garlic: Add in 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic to kick up the flavor in these delicious roll ups.
Italian seasoning: For wonderful zest and taste, use 1/2 teaspoon of dried Italian seasonings.
Salt and pepper: To add more seasoning, sprinkle in a pinch of both salt and pepper.
Marinara sauce: You will need 32-ounces of your favorite sauce. I like using roasted garlic sauce.
Mozzarella cheese: For even more cheesy goodness, use 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
Can I Add Meat to Lasagna Rolls?
If you want to add meat to these rollups, you can use 1 cooked and shredded chicken breast, 1 cup crumbled, cooked Italian Sausage or ground beef. Make sure the meat is cut up or broken up into small pieces, so it’s easier to roll it up inside the lasagna pasta.
How to make Lasagna Rolls with Spinach
Start by preheating the oven to 350° F.
Then, drain the thawed spinach well.
Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions. Then, lay them on a piece of parchment paper and pat them dry with a paper towel.
In a medium bowl, stir and combine the drained spinach, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, minced garlic, Italian seasonings, and salt and pepper. If you are adding meat to your dish, add it now.
Then, pour about 1 cup of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Proceed to take about 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over one noodle. Roll it carefully and place with the seam side down onto the baking dish. Continue to repeat this with all remaining noodles.
After that, ladle some sauce over each noodle rollup in the baking dish and top each one with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
Cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven.
When you are ready to serve, scoop some of the sauce from the baking dish and put on the plate, then add the lasagna roll.
What can you serve with these lasagna roll ups?
This meatless meal would be so great with any number of things! Here are a few ideas to make this a complete meal! Adding simple green salad or Ceasar salad would be delicious. This dish also goes so well with Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread or Cheesy Breadsticks. Oh and don’t forget the dessert, I’d recommend our Chocolate Raspberry Cake or some No-Bake Chocolate Strawberry Lasagna.
Spinach Lasagna Rolls
- 12 Lasagna noodles cooked according to package directions
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Egg
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch pinch of both salt and pepper
- 32 oz marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Start by preheating the oven to 350° F. Spray a 9×13 dish with non stick spray and set aside. Drain the thawed spinach well.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions. Then, lay them on piece of parchment paper and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- In a medium bowl, stir and combine the drained spinach, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, minced garlic, Italian seasonings, and salt and pepper. If you are adding meat to your dish, add it now.
- Then, pour about 1 cup marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Take about 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over one noodle. Roll it carefully and place with the seam side down onto the baking dish. Continue to repeat this with all remaining noodles.
- Ladle some sauce over each noodle rollup in the baking dish and top each one with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven.
- When you are ready to serve, scoop some sauce from the baking dish and put on the plate, then add the lasagna roll. Enjoy!
Can you make spinach lasagna rolls ups ahead of time?
You sure can! If you want to have a quick and delicious meal ready for later, you can complete all the steps in this recipe right up until the baking part. Cover the dish with foil and put it in your refrigerator. When you come home later you can just pop it in the oven and bake it, dinner ready in no time!
Can you freeze lasagna roll ups?
These lasagna roll ups can be frozen and stored for up to 3 months. When you are ready to enjoy, cook in a 350 degree F over for 1-2 hours until hot and bubbly. If you want to cut down on the cooking time, defrost these overnight in the fridge and cook them for about 30 minutes.
Do I have to use parmesan cheese?
If you find yourself without parmesan cheese you can also use an Italian blend cheese. They are very similar and will both be delicious!
If you loved this Italian inspired recipe, try some more of our favorites!
- Grandma’s Italian Cookies
- Cheesy Italian Sausage Calzones
- Homemade Italian Cream Sodas
- Cherry Italian Cream Sodas
- Bacon Alfredo Pizza
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Tortellini
- Grilled Italian Chicken Pasta
- Fresh Tomato Marinara Sauce
- Zuppa Toscana Potato Sausage Soup
- Pizza Pasta Salad
- Zesty Italian Chicken
- Skinny Alfredo Pasta
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Grilled Italian Sausages with Peppers
- Pasta Fagioli
Lasagna Rolls are a delightful dish to make when you want the yummy taste of lasagna but without all the effort. Making spinach lasagna rolls requires only some easy ingredients and the results is a dish that does not disappoint!
Bethany K @ BeforeDuringAfter says
I love lasagna rolls! Correction: I loved the one lasagna roll I ever had. <br />After pizza and ice cream, lasagna is my favorite food.<br />Why'd you add the chicken to the innards? I can see it on top, in the red sauce. I'm sure it wouldn't make a different with the taste! I probably wouldn't use it because I would most definitely use beef sauce. And it seems weird to mix
Amanda Petersen says
I'm right there with you- those are some tasty meals! 🙂 And, no chicken- just some extra cheese sprinkled on top! I actually don't cook with meat very often- this is an entirely vegetarian recipe (the sauce is marinara). Let us know what you think. Enjoy!!
Carolyn Brown says
It says makes 9 rolls..but there are clearly 12 in the dish !!..lol