Italian cookies with frosting are perfectly sweet and tender cookies with a simple vanilla glaze. Lovely Italian Cookies topped with a sweet glaze and colorful sprinkles for any occasion!
I got this recipe for Italian cookies from my grandmother, and to me, they will always be “her cookies.” She was the master at making Italian cookie shapes on the pan! I tend to take the easy route and make little balls. These cookies always graced our tables at family gatherings and holidays and now I’m passing on the tradition to my kids and sharing the recipe with you.
How many cookies does this recipe make?
What are the ingredients in the Italian cookies?
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 5-6 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
powdered sugar glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- small amount milk
To make the cookies
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, extracts, milk, and sugar.
- Add in 5 cups of flour and baking powder. The dough should be firm and not sticky. If necessary, add in more flour.
- Chill your bowl full of dough for 30 minutes to cool and turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Add flour to your hands and begin shaping your cookies. If your dough is sticking to your hands add in more flour.
- Place your dough onto a prepared baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 10-14 minutes. When finished cookies will be lightly golden brown on the bottom. Cool.
To make the glaze
- In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk and stir until well combined and there are no lumps. If needed, add in more powdered sugar to get a good consistency so that the glazes coats the cookies, dripping down gently on the sides.
- Dip your cookies in the glaze and lay them back on the baking sheet to set. If desired, you can top with sprinkles while the glaze is wet. Store cookies in an airtight container.
How do you keep Italian cookies fresh?
After letting your cookies cool completely, store them in an airtight container at room temperature. If you want to ensure that they stay nice and fresh, you could lay the cookies in layers with a piece of parchment paper in between each layer.
Can you leave cookies out overnight?
you can freeze these cookies for a longer storage solution. Lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the freezer for 1 hour before transferring to a Ziploc bag. You may also want to keep the cookies layered with parchment paper once in the bag to prevent the icing from sticking the cookies together.
More Cookie recipes:
- Almond Crescent Cookies
- M&M Christmas Cookie Bars
- BEST Christmas Cookies Collection
- Lemon Cream Pie Cookies
- Raspberry Cheesecake Cookie Cups
- Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Double Chocolate Jr Mint Cookies
- Banana Cream Cookies
I hope you enjoyed my grandma’s Italian cookie recipe and that they can add a little more memories to your table or holiday experiences. Italian cookies with frosting are perfectly sweet and tender cookies with a simple vanilla glaze. Lovely Italian Cookies topped with a sweet glaze and colorful sprinkles for any occasion!