Homemade Peppermint Nougat Candy recipe, made with 6 simple ingredients and is a perfect festive holiday treat! This soft chewy candy with peppermint pieces & gumdrops is sure to grab your guests attention when beautifully displayed on your Christmas dessert trays!
This Peppermint Nougat Candy recipe is a fun twist on Brach’s Christmas Peppermint Nougats. Those chewy peppermint marshmallow candies with crunchy pieces of peppermint and gumdrops are so delicious and sure to be a crowd-pleaser for party guests! The combination of the soft marshmallows and crunchy peppermint will guarantee your family and guests are pleasantly surprised with this delicious treat.
These homemade peppermint nougat candies also make for great homemade gifts! Simply wrap them up nicely and present them this year instead of something store bought. Who could resist a delicious homemade treat, especially when it is made with love and peppermint?
Brach’s peppermint nougats are those little round chewy candies with a green Christmas trees in the center of a red-striped white disc of peppermint deliciousness. While our homemade nougats may not look the same, the taste is very close. Plus, we earn points for making them ourselves- which naturally makes everything taste better! Brach’s candy has been around since the early 1900’s and it’s easy to see why they are so popular. With over 200 confection options its hard to choose a favorite, but the Christmas Peppermint Nougats are definitely on the top of our list. Which is why we enjoy this recipe so much, we hope you do too!
Homemade Peppermint Nougat Ingredients
-Butter: You will need 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter to help pull this recipe together and add a delicious richness. Salted butter is acceptable to use if that is what you have on hand, any butter is good butter!
-White Chocolate: Use 2 bags of white chocolate chips. I recommend using Ghirardelli’s white chocolate chips because it’s high quality and fills your treat with a velvety smooth texture. But feel free to use the white chocolate of your preference.
-Mini Marshmallows: You need 1 bag of mini marshmallows. It is equally important to make a mental note to remember to add them in a little at a time to help them melt more evenly.
-Peppermint extract: You’ll need about 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract to get a good flavor, but if you are anything like me you can add in a tiny bit extra for a stronger peppermint flavor.
-Andes Peppermint Crunch: Using 1 cup of this ingredient works great. If you cannot find this specific brand then any crushed peppermints will work too. Don’t worry about matching this brand exactly, you can’t go wrong with any type of peppermint candy.
-Gumdrops: We need 2 cups total, 1 cup each of halved green and red gumdrops. You can buy regular gumdrops or use any gummy candy of choice. I am partial to Dots, that is what is shown in the recipe.
Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper and then lightly spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
If you have a double boil pot set you want to use it for this recipe. If you do not have one you can use a heat-proof bowl that will fit snuggly over the top of a large pot.
In a large pot, heat the water over medium heat.
Place the top pot or heat-proof bowl over the top of the heated water. Bring heated water to a simmer.
Now it’s time to add the butter and white chocolate into the top pot or heat-proof bowl.
Stir the chocolate and butter as it melts, and begin to add in a handful of marshmallows at a time. Allow the marshmallows to melt and then gradually add in more, letting them melt fully, and repeating until all of the marshmallows have been added and melted.
Remove the mixture from heat and add in the peppermint extract. Be sure to allow the mixture to cool for 2-3 minutes. It is important to let the mixture cool this long long or else the peppermint candies will melt into the mixture, and we want that nice crunch the peppermint will give to the candy.
Once mixture has cooled add the peppermint crunch candies and stir well. Add and mix in the gumdrops too.
Continue to pour the mixture into the previously prepared pan and then press it out evenly. If the mixture is too sticky, place a piece of wax paper over the top and press out the candy with your hands.
Allow the candy to set for several hours (recommended 2-3 at least) or overnight before cutting.
Once that has set you are ready to eat! Spray a knife with non-stick spray, then cut into small cubes. Store in an airtight container with wax paper separating the layers. Your treat is ready to enjoy!
Peppermint Nougat Candy
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 bags white chocolate Ghirardelli 11 oz bags
- 10 oz mini marshmallows
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup Andes Peppermint Crunch (or 1 cup crushed peppermints)
- 2 cups red & green gumdrops halved (1 cup each color)
- Prepare an 8x8 inch pan by lining with parchment paper and spraying with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Place a large pan of water over medium heat.
- Simmer the water and place the butter and white chocolate in the top pot of the double boiler or the large bowl.
- Stir the chocolate as it melts, then add a handful of marshmallows and allow to melt. Gradually add an additional handful of marshmallows and melt, repeat until all marshmallows have melted.
- Remove mixture from heat and add the peppermint extract. Allow to cool for 2 minutes. You need to allow this cooling time so the peppermints don’t totally melt into the candy. The crunch is so nice in this candy.
- Add the Peppermint Crunch (or crushed peppermints) and stir in well. Mix in the gumdrops. Pour into the pan and press it out evenly. If the mixture is too sticky, use a piece of wax paper on top to press out the candy.
- Allow to set for several hours (2-3 at least) or overnight before cutting.
- Cut into small cube pieces. Store in an airtight container with wax paper separating the layers.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
My marshmallows won’t melt, what should I do?
It’s important to keep stirring this and add a small amount of marshmallows at a time. This is not a recipe you can rush. They will melt and be very sticky and thick which is exactly what you want.
What is the texture of the candy?
This is like a soft nougat with fun texture added with the peppermint & gumdrops!
How should I store this candy?
Store in an airtight container with wax paper between the layers to prevent sticking.
Can I freeze this nougat candy?
Sorry to say that freezing nougat candy, is not recommended. Freezing the sweet nougat treat can change its texture and defeat all the purpose of the delicious ingredients. In addition, moisture, and any humidity for that matter, is not nougat’s friend so be sure to store in a cool dry place or refrigerator.
More Christmas Desserts:
- Holiday Peppermint Ice Cream Cake Roll
- Peppermint Popcorn
- Pink Peppermint Patties
- Homemade Peppermint Patties
- Peppermint Fudge Thumbprint Cookies
- Peppermint Fudge Cookies
- Easy Peppermint Chex Mix
- Easy Mini Peppermint Pies
- Chocolate Peppermint Truffles
- Frosted Peppermint Candies
- Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cream Pie
- Chocolate Peppermint Bread
- Peppermint Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- Candy Cane Fudge
- Christmas Peppermint Patties
Homemade Peppermint Nougat Candy recipe, made with 6 simple ingredients and is a perfect festive holiday treat! This soft chewy candy with peppermint pieces & gumdrops is sure to be a repeat treat you make for years to come.