Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies are made with crushed candy canes, pudding mix, peppermint extract, and sweet chocolate chips. This peppermint chocolate cookies recipe creates soft and chewy treats that are perfect for the holidays!
These chocolate chip cookies with vanilla pudding make great treats for holiday exchanges, the festive flavor is sure to be a hit with family and friends. Make this sour cream cookies recipe easily, this secret ingredient makes the cookies so moist and delicious!
PEPPERMINT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Mint chocolate chip pudding cookies are so fun to make around the holidays. You all know how much I love chocolate chip cookies, but I thought it would be fun to put a little spin on this classic recipe and add a little holiday flair. My kids don’t normally like peppermint very much, but they were devouring these cookies with the rest of us. Bring these cookies to your next holiday party or treat exchange, everyone is sure to enjoy these festive cookies!
HOW DO YOU MAKE PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES?
Making chocolate chip cookies is so easy and here are a few tips to getting perfect cookies every time!
- Do not melt the butter. The butter should be softened (at room temperature), by using melted butter it could ruin the cookie texture.
- Spend a little extra time when you mix the butter and sugars. Creaming them together for 2-3 minutes will improve the consistency of your cookies.
- Also, preheat the oven. This is key to helping your cookies turn out great every time.
- Use a cookie scoop! If you want all your cookies to be perfectly shaped and have them all be the same size, a cookie scoop is the way to go.
- Use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Doing this will make it really easy to remove the cookies from your cookie sheet so that you don’t have to scrape them off the pan, they will just slide right off in perfect shape.
- Don’t over bake the cookies. When I take mine out of the oven, they still look slightly under baked but they will continue to bake on the cookie sheet for a couple more minutes so that’s ok.
Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
Sugar: You will need 1 cup of granulated sugar to make the cookies sweet and chewy.
Butter: Use ½ cup (one stick) of softened butter to get the cookies to be rich and moist.
Egg: Using 1 large egg will help to bind the dough together so that the cookies don’t crumble apart.
Sour cream: A ½ cup of sour cream really helps to make these cookies so soft. You also use plain Greek yogurt if you prefer.
Vanilla pudding mix: You’ll need to add 1 small box of vanilla pudding mix (3.4 oz) to the cookie batter. The pudding mix adds a lot of amazing flavor to these sensational cookies.
Salt: Use ½ teaspoon of salt to enhance all the amazing flavors well.
Baking soda: Adding in ½ teaspoon of baking soda will help the cookies to puff up nicely as they bake.
Flour: Using 2 cups of all purpose flour works best in these cookies, but cake flour also works well if that is what you have on hand.
Peppermint extract: A little bit of extract goes a long way, 1 teaspoon will be enough to give these cookies great flavor. Make sure to use peppermint extract, not mint.
Crushed peppermint candy canes: For the perfect amount of crunch to the cookies, you’ll need about 15 of the small ones. I use a small hammer to break the candy canes while they are still in the plastic wrappers. You don’t want to crush them too much, you want some sizable chunks in the cookies.
Chocolate chips: You will need 1 ½ cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips. I often use mini chocolate chips in cookies, and I usually add a few more than what the recipe calls for.
Red food coloring: If desired, you can add in 10-15 drops of red food coloring for a seasonal touch.
How to Make Peppermint Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
Start by getting the oven preheating to 375°. Then, line a couple baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon mats. Set aside.
Next, in a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter for about 2-3 minutes, using an electric mixer. Then, add in the egg, sour cream and pudding mix and continue to beat for another 2-3 minutes.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking soda. Proceed to incorporate the flour mixture into the wet pudding mixture and just until well combined. Then add the peppermint extract and mix again.
After that, fold in the chocolate chips and crushed candy cane pieces.
Proceed to drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. Place them in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
Be sure to let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Serve and enjoy!
Peppermint Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter softened (1 stick)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 3.4- ounce box of instant vanilla pudding mix
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- red food coloring- about 10-15 drops optional
- ⅓ cup crushed peppermint candy canes I used about 15 of the small ones
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Prep: Start by getting the oven preheating to 375°. Then, line a couple baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon mats. Set aside.
- Batter: Next, in a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter for about 2-3 minutes, using an electric mixer. Then, add in the egg, sour cream and pudding mix and continue to beat for another 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking soda. Proceed to incorporate the flour mixture into the wet pudding mixture and just until well combined. Then add the peppermint extract and mix again. After that, fold in the chocolate chips and crushed candy cane pieces.
- Bake: Proceed to drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. Place them in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Be sure to let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Serve and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
HOW DO YOU SOFTEN BUTTER?
I like to soften butter by using the defrost function on my microwave. If you need the full 1/2 cup cube of butter, you can leave it in the paper wrapper, otherwise, place the amount of butter you need in a glass or porcelain bowl. I use the lowest defrost setting on my microwave and just let it run for 20 seconds. Check the butter and see how soft it is by pressing it with a rubber scraper. If it is still not soft to the touch, meaning it doesn’t indent when you press into it, let it warm for another 5-10 seconds. Watch it closely! Butter softens very quickly.
Can I make this cookie dough in advance?
Yes, you can whip up the dough and keep it covered in the fridge for up to 48 hours before scooping and baking. This is great if you want to bake cookies fresh the following day!
How long are chocolate peppermint cookies good for?
These cookies last up to a week in an airtight container at room temperature. We love the cookies best within the first 48 hours because that’s when the flavors and textures are best.
Can I freeze peppermint chocolate chip cookies?
Yes! You can roll the dough balls and then freeze them before baking, or freeze the cookies after they’ve been baked (depending on which you prefer). The cookies and cookie dough can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 or 3 months. Thaw before using. Enjoy!
LOVE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES? SO DO WE! HERE ARE SOME OF OUR FAVORITE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPES!
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Avocado Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies are made with a dry pudding mix, candy cane pieces, peppermint extract, and chocolate chips. This peppermint chocolate cookies recipe produces lovely chewy treats that are great for the holidays!