Gingersnap Banana Bread is a spiced banana bread recipe topped with crushed gingersnap cookies! The flavors meld into perfection in this incredible banana quick bread.
No doubt you’ve had a slice of banana bread before, but have you ever had it like this? Serve this gingersnap banana bread alongside your peppermint mocha, pumpkin latte, or a nice cup of tea and you have yourself a wonderful snack. Although serving a warm slice A La Mode could make for a fabulous dessert too!
What is Gingersnap Banana Bread?
It’s a loaf of deliciously rich banana bread. This banana bread has been wonderfully spiced with ginger, cloves, and cinnamon and then layered around crushed gingersnap cookies to create a flavorful bite. While the cookies soften, the flavor remains and the appearance is great as well. From visual to tastebuds this gingersnap banana bread recipe is one that delights!
-Flour: We need 2 cups of all-purpose flour to create the gluten base for this bread batter.
-Baking Soda: 1 teaspoon of baking soda is enough to help leaven this bread so that it rises into a nice and fluffy loaf.
-Spices: We will need a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves to pack a flavorful punch in every bite.
-Salt: This is a flavor enhancer that we don’t want to be without. We need 1/4 teaspoon of salt to make really make this bread taste great.
-Butter: We will need 1/2 cup (one stick) of softened unsalted butter. You can use salted but you run the risk of salty banana bread as a result.
-Brown sugar: 3/4 cups of packed light brown sugar will give us a depth of flavor from the molasses, a nice caramelization, and a nicer golden color from our loaves.
-Eggs: We need 2 large eggs to help bind this recipe together so that the bread doesn’t fall apart.
-Mashed bananas: Every banana bread needs bananas, and we need 2 cups of the mashed fruit. This is roughly 3 large bananas.
-Sour cream: This is a magic tool, with 1/3 cup of sour cream we make the batter thick, but as the bread bakes the sour cream disappears and leaves behind a buttery moist loaf without sour cream flavor.
-Vanilla extract: We need 1 teaspoon of vanilla to enhance the flavors in this bread recipe. I prefer the high quality vanilla products because they taste even better, but use what you have on hand!
-Gingersnaps: We need 1 1/2 cups of crushed gingersnap cookies (this is the harder cookies, not the soft ones!) You can use soft gingersnaps but the end results will be different.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
Cream together the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Add in the eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated.
Add in the mashed bananas, sour cream, vanilla, and mix well. Scrape down the bowl sides again, if needed.
Add in half of the flour mixture and stir it together at low speed.
Add in the remaining flour and then mix until well combined.
Pour half of the bread batter into the loaf pan.
Sprinkle the top of the loaf with half of the crushed gingersnap cookies.
Add the remaining bread batter over the top and then cover the top of the loaf with the remaining gingersnaps, pressing them into the batter slightly so that they stick.
Bake in the oven for 70-80 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and come out clean. After 30 minutes of baking, adding a foil tent over the top of the loaf to prevent it from turning too brown. Enjoy!
Gingersnap Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 large bananas)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups crushed gingersnaps *See note
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt, set aside.
- In the body of a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer and a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until well combined with the paddle attachment. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add in the eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Add in the mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla, mix until well combined, scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add half of the flour mixture and stir it in on low speed. Add the remaining flour and mix until well incorporated, scrape down the sides.
- Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle half of the gingersnaps on top.
- Add the remaining batter, and top with the remaining gingersnaps, gently pressing them into the batter.
- Bake for 70-80 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center, comes out clean. When the banana bread has baked for 30 minutes, add a foil tent on top to reduce browning.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can I use frozen bananas to make banana bread?
Absolutely! Just make sure to let the frozen bananas thaw before using so that they can be well blended into the batter. As bananas thaw they may leak some of their natural juices, just go ahead and toss that liquid into the bread batter as well.
Can I freeze gingersnap banana bread?
Yes you can! Simply let the loaf cool completely and then wrap it well in plastic wrap before placing it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let it thaw on the counter for a few hours before slicing and eating.
If you don’t have sour cream or you’d like to use something else, plain Greek yogurt can be a healthier alternative. Make sure that you don’t use regular yogurts as they have a much higher liquid content and will not work out right.
Looking for more fabulous banana recipes? We have plenty to choose from!
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
- Banana Cream Fluff Salad
- Mango Banana Bread
- Strawberry Banana Bread with Lemon Glaze
- Banana Cream Pie
- Apple Banana Bread
- Banana Pound Cake
- Zucchini Banana Bread
- Banana Cream Cheesecake Bars
- White Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Nutella Banana Muffins
- Easy Banana Bread
- Cranberry Banana Bread
- Banana Split Pie
Gingersnap banana bread is a wonderful and deliciously unique banana bread recipe. If you like Gingersnap cookies, I encourage you to try it! You may never go back to plain banana bread again. Gingersnap Banana Bread is a spiced banana bread recipe topped with crushed gingersnap cookies! The flavors meld into perfection in this incredible banana quick bread.