Mango Banana Bread made with ripe bananas and fresh mango, topped with a brown sugar streusel and drizzled with icing. A fantastic variation on a traditional banana bread recipe!
Banana bread recipes are always a hit with family and friends because they’re simple, versatile, and incredibly delicious. This mango banana bread recipe is no different and you’re going to love the fun twist on this simple quick bread.
Mango banana bread is a simple banana bread recipe that is packed with flavor. Topped with a brown sugar streusel and a drizzle of powdered sugar icing, you’ll wonder why you hadn’t thought of this winning flavor combination before!
-Eggs: Eggs work as the binder in the recipe to hold everything together. If you don’t have eggs, you may be able to use applesauce as an alternative.
-Sour cream: Working to create a velvety smooth texture and richness to the bread, sour cream thickens the batter but makes incredibly fluffy and delicious end results.
-Vegetable oil: Banana breads are often made with oil or butter, we like using vegetable oil because it surprisingly yields a lighter & fluffier texture than butter!
-Ripe bananas: 1 cup of mashed ripe bananas is about 2-3 bananas, and it always helps to have them pre mashed before adding to the recipe.
-Sugars: We’re going to use a combination of white and brown sugars in this recipe to give us the desired caramelization, color, depth of flavor, and overall sweetness.
-Vanilla extract: Vanilla is cool because it gives a starting point for other flavors to branch off of and with it you can create great flavor depth.
-Baking soda: This is the leavening agent we need to help keep the bread from falling flat and to instead puff up and bake into a beautiful loaf.
-Cinnamon: Adding a nutty level of comfort, this seasoning pairs great with the flavors we’re working with today.
-Salt: A little bit of salt will help to make the flavors in the recipe stand out and taste great.
-Mango: You’re going to want 1 cup’s worth of peeled and diced mango, which about the same size as a small mango.
-Streusel Topping: Flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter work together to create a simple streusel mix that tastes good and adds that special “something extra” to the bread.
-Icing: Powdered sugar and hot water are all you need to make a thick (or thinned) powdered sugar glaze that looks and tastes amazing.
Preheat your oven to 325F degrees and spray 2 8 or 9 inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray to prevent sticking, then set them aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vegetable oil. Add in the mashed bananas, white sugar and brown sugar, and vanilla. Stir until everything is well incorporated.
In a smaller bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients, whisking them together until they’re incorporated.
Pour the flour mixture into the wet mixture and stir until just combined.
Fold in the mango and then pour half of the batter into each baking pan.
Bake in the oven for 60-70 minutes or until the internal temperature registers 200F degrees with a cooking thermometer.
Remove the pans from the oven and let them cool in the bread pans for about 20 minutes before removing them from the pan and placing them on a cooling rack.
Once the bread has cooled, prepare the icing by mixing the powdered sugar and hot water together until it’s dissolved and pourable. Drizzle it over the bread and let it cool and set.
Slice and serve your bread.
The easiest and best way to avoid sunken bread is to use a cooking thermometer to check the inside of the loaf. Fully cooked bread will register 200°F on a thermometer. My all-time favorite thermometer is the Thermapen. It’s super fast and incredibly durable. Another great cooking thermometer is the ThermoPop which is a more basic version that works just as well!
Mango Banana Bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt- plain or vanilla)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2-3 bananas)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose or bread flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup peeled & diced mango (about 1 small mango)
- 3 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp hot water
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray two 8" or 9" loaf pans with non-stick baking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vegetable oil.
- Add mashed bananas, sugars and vanilla and stir until well combined.
- In a smaller bowl combine dry ingredients and whisk until well incorporated.
- Pour the flour mixture into the banana mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in mango.
- Pour half the batter into each baking pan. Combine streusel ingredients and stir until mixture is uniform and crumbly. Sprinkle half streusel mix over each loaf.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, until internal temp of the middle of baked bread registers 200°F with a cooking thermometer.
- Remove from oven and let cool in bread pans for about 20 minutes. Overturn onto a cooling rack to cool fully.
- Whisk powdered sugar together with hot water. Drizzle over cooled bread. Let icing cool to set (it's fast!) then slice and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How should I store my banana mango bread?
You should make sure that your bread is completely cooled before storing and then place it into an airtight container like a Ziploc bag, or a Tupperware style container depending on what you have. Keep the bread at room temperature or freeze it for longer storage if you don’t think you’ll eat both loaves quickly enough.
How long is mango banana bread good for?
Due to the sweet and moist texture of this bread, I’d say it can be stable at room temperature for about 3 days. Of course, it’s such a delicious snack to munch on that 3 days should be plenty of time.
Still have bananas to use? Check out these delicious banana recipes!
- Banana Pound Cake
- Caramel Banana Cream Tiramisu
- Apple Banana Bread
- Glazed Blueberry Banana Bars
- Zucchini Banana Bread
- Nutella Banana Muffins
- Banana Cream Cheesecake Bars
- Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- White Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Easy Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bars
- Banana Cream Cookies
- Banana Split Milkshakes
- Banana Split Pie
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Once you try this mango banana bread recipe you’re going to wonder what you’ve been waiting for all of these years. Such a simple variation, but it’s one that makes all of the difference. Mango Banana Bread made with ripe bananas and fresh mango, topped with a brown sugar streusel and drizzled with icing. A fantastic variation on a traditional banana bread recipe!