Easy Artisan Bread~ made with just 4 ingredients, plus, no kneading is required! This crusty white bread is surprisingly easy to make. Soft on the inside with an irresistible golden crust on the outside, it’s perfect slathered with fresh butter.
Making a no knead bread is incredibly easy, although it does take time. Thankfully, it’s very hands-off! With this recipe, you just have to mix, wait, shape, and bake. A perfect loaf of bread awaits and even novice bread bakers can enjoy this simple recipe.
What is artisan bread?
Artisan bread is the term given to no-knead, more free form varieties of homemade bread. They have minimal ingredients and often rise overnight. Artisanal bread is soft on the inside, crusty on the outside, and often has a shaggy/crusty looking harder outside golden shell.
It’s a bread that is made to be eaten shortly after baking and once baked to perfection you won’t want to wait to eat it either!
Artisan Bread Ingredients
-Flour: We need 3 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour to be the base of this bread recipe. We will need a little additional flour for dusting the baking tray as well, so set some aside.
-Water: 1 1/2 cups of cooled water will be the liquid needed to pull the dough together and to activate the yeast.
-Yeast: We need 2 teaspoons of active dry yeast for our bread to rise and get a great texture.
-Salt: With a teaspoon of salt we can enhance the flavors in the bread and really make it taste great!
How to make artisan bread at home
Whisk together the flour, yeast, and salt in a large bowl.
Add the water into the dry ingredients and mix them together with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Keep working the dough until the flour is moistened and a shaggy dough forms.
Cover the bowl and let it rise in a warm place until doubled in size (this should be about 2-3 hours).
You can use the dough immediately but for the best flavor, letting it rest for 12 hours to 2 days in the fridge is ideal.
Lightly dust a baking tray with flour and shape the dough by transferring it to the floured tray and tucking the ends underneath to form a ball.
Cover the boule with plastic wrap and let proof for 25-30 minutes.
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
Once the dough has risen, score the top of the bread with a blade or sharp knife.
Throw about 3-4 ice cubes onto the bottom of the oven and close the door. This step helps to make the bread crust turn out crisp and golden.
Place the tray of bread onto the center rack in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Remove bread and cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Easy Artisan Bread recipe
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup water cooled
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Additional flour for dusting baking tray
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, yeast, and salt.
- Add the water to the dry ingredients. Mix together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Keep working the dough until all the flour is moistened. Stir until a rough, shaggy dough forms.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk and bubbly, about 2-3 hours.
- You can use the dough immediately, but for the absolute best flavor and texture, let the dough rest in the fridge for at least 12 hours and up to 2 days.
- Lightly dust a nonstick baking tray with flour. Shape the dough by transferring it onto a floured tray. Knead gently several times, then shape the dough into a ball by tucking the sides underneath itself.
- Transfer dough to a parchment lined baking tray. Cover gently with plastic wrap (or a warm towel) and proof for 25-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Once the dough has risen, score the top with a blade or sharp knife.
- Place the bread in the preheated oven on the center rack. Throw 3-4 ice cubes in the bottom of the oven and close the door. This is the step that makes the crust on the bread crisp and golden. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove bread from the oven and cool on a rack. Slice & enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can you freeze artisan bread?
Yes, this bread freezes well. I recommend letting it fully cool before trying to wrap in plastic wrap and then storing it in an airtight container until ready to enjoy. This will keep it freezer-friendly for 3-6 months, and all you have to do is thaw before slicing and eating.
How to store artisan bread
You’ll want to keep the bread well covered and wrapped when it’s fully cooled and not being eaten, this will help to keep it from drying out. That said you should also enjoy this bread within 3 days for the best tasting results.
How to eat artisan bread
You can eat this bread just like you would any other slice of white bread of harder bread like french or baguettes. I like to eat mine still warm with a nice spread butter over the top but serving it as a nice side to soups for dipping is always a wonderful idea.
The very best bread recipes
- BANANA BREAD MUFFINS
- CINNAMON ROLL BREAD
- CARROT CAKE BREAD
- RASPBERRY TWIST BREAD
- MOIST BANANA BREAD RECIPE
- CREAM CHEESE STUFFED MONKEY BREAD
- CHALLAH BREAD RECIPE
- CHERRY QUICK BREAD
- GLAZED APPLE WALNUT BREAD
- MONSTER COOKIE BREAD
- CHOCOLATE CHERRY QUICK BREAD
- WHITE BREAD RECIPE
- HOMEMADE SOFT PRETZELS WITH CHEESE DIP
- HOMEMADE FRENCH BREAD
- SOFT COUNTRY FRENCH BREAD
Easy Artisan Bread made with just 4 ingredients, plus, no kneading is required! This crusty white bread is surprisingly easy to make. Soft on the inside with an irresistible golden crust on the outside, it’s perfect slathered with fresh butter.
Renee Goerger says
Beautiful recipe. Lovely texture. Fabulous taste. Thank you so much for the side of bread recipe to go along with my butter. 😉
These bread was delicious and easy to make. Thanks for the recipe!