Apple walnut bread is a sweet apple bread recipe with walnuts! Perfect apple quick bread recipe with a light glaze that everyone loves!
Apple walnut bread is a sweet quick bread recipe that you are going to love. It’s very moist and versatile so feel free to adapt it over time and make a few changes here and there to get it to fit your own tastebuds.
Walnut Bread Tip
Lining your bread pans with parchment paper will really help to keep the bread stay together when you go to pull your loaf out of the pan. Don’t you hate when you go to remove a quick bread from the loaf pan only to have the bottom part break into sections and leave your hard work ruined?
Sure it tastes great, but now you cant stick it in the toaster or make matching slices. Parchment paper is the key to a successful bread loaf bottom! Grease and flour work well too, but they require more effort and I like things simple and easy.
I like to use Pink Ladies but you can use any tart apple for a nice contrast to the sweetness in the bread. Good baking apples like Granny Smith apples are able to withstand the baking process without becoming too mushy or grainy like a softer apple variety.
Can You Make Mini Apple Bread Loaves?
This recipe makes 1 large loaf of bread and 1 mini loaf, but it can be adapted to make 3 smaller mini loaf versions as well. Make the recipe as directed and then divide the batter into 3 prepared mini loaf pans. You’ll need to adjust the cooking time so after 35 minutes start checking it with a toothpick every 5 minutes to make sure that they don’t become overbaked or burnt.
-1 cup Smooth Unsweetened Applesauce
-1/2 cup Sugar plus 1 tbsp for sprinkling
-1/2 cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
-2 large Eggs
-1/4 cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
-1/4 cup Plain (or Vanilla) Yogurt
-1 tsp Vanilla Extract
-1 tsp Baking Powder
-1/2 tsp Baking Soda
-3/4 tsp Salt
-1/2 tsp Cinnamon
-1/8 tsp Nutmeg
-1 cup Apple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
-1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
Line a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with waxed or parchment paper (or grease and flour it), then set it aside. Heat the oven to 350° degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the applesauce, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, oil, yogurt, and vanilla extract in. Whisk well to blend everything together.
In another large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon and then pour in the applesauce mixture. Stir just enough to combine, but do not overmix. Fold in the apples and walnuts.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spoon. Evenly sprinkle one tablespoon of sugar over the top. Bake on the center oven rack until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, about 50 to 55 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and put it on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes, then remove the loaf from the pan and place it on the rack to finish cooling. Makes 10 servings.
The easiest and best way to avoid sunken bread is to use a cooking thermometer to check the inside of the loaf. Fully cooked bread will register 200°F on a thermometer. My all-time favorite thermometer is the Thermapen. It’s super fast and incredibly durable. Another great cooking thermometer is the ThermoPop which is a more basic version that works just as well!
Double Apple Walnut Bread
- 1 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar plus 1 tbsp for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup Plain (or Vanilla) Yogurt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 cup Apple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- 1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
- Line a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with waxed or parchment paper (or grease and flour it), then set it aside. Also grease a mini loaf pan. Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the applesauce, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, oil, yogurt, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Whisk well to blend.
- In another large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Make a well in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon and pour in the applesauce mixture. Stir just enough to combine; do not overmix. Fold in the apples and walnuts.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and smooth the top with a spoon. Evenly sprinkle one tablespoon of sugar over the top. Bake on the center oven rack about 30 to 35 minutes for the mini loaf and 50 to 55 minutes for the large loaf. (Loaf will register 200 degrees F on a cooking thermometer.)
- Remove the pan from the oven and put it on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes, then remove the loaf from the pan and place it on the rack to finish cooling.
- OPTIONAL GLAZE: Whisk 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 2-3 TBSP HOT water. Drizzle on cooled bread and let set.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can I Use Sweetened or Cinnamon Flavored Apple Sauce?
You can but note that the bread will turn out sweeter and if you use the cinnamon flavored, you may wish to omit the ground cinnamon unless you think you’ll like that much in one recipe. I personally love cinnamon, so I see nothing wrong with this but others may not like it so rich since it can be an overwhelming flavor.
Can You Freeze Apple Bread?
Yes! This bread freezes so well! Once your loaf has finished completely cooling down and is at room temperature, wrap it well with plastic wrap and place it into an airtight storage container like a gallon sized Ziploc bag. This should be able to get your double apple walnut bread to last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Store your leftover apple walnut bread in an airtight storage container or plastic zipper topped bag. You can keep it like this on the counter at room temperature for a few days (about 4 or 5 days).
Can’t Get Enough Apple Recipes? Us Either! Check Out These Apple Filled Recipes You’re Going to Enjoy!
- Crockpot Apple Pumpkin Butter
- Apple Bread Pudding
- Easy Cinnamon Apple Cake
- Snickers Apple Salad
- Apple Pumpkin Bread
- Apple Crisp With Oatmeal
- Easy Spiced Apple Cake
- Cinnamon Caramel Apple Dip
- Caramel Apple Nachos
- Apple Cider Syrup
- Snickerdoodle Apple Pie Cookie Cups
- Snickerdoodle Apple Cobbler
- Apple Cinnamon Crumb Bars
This simple apple bread recipe is so delicious and versatile that you’re going to love it. So what are you waiting for? Make your loaf of double apple walnut bread today!