Crunchy Asian Cucumber Salad made easy in minutes with fantastic tangy flavors everyone enjoys! Easy salad with fresh cucumbers tossed with a simple soy sauce dressing sweetened with maple syrup. Try it!
My oldest daughter LOVES Asian food in all forms. She got this simple cucumber salad recipe from a friend and has since made it on repeat. It’s quick & easy and has fantastic Asian flavor, plus it helps us use all these cucumbers from our garden! We love trying cucumber salads at sushi restaurants and this recipe is better than any we’ve tried! It comes together quick and is perfect served alongside lunch or dinner.
What is Crunchy Asian Cucumber Salad
Crunchy Asian Cucumber Salad is a refreshing and healthy salad that originated in Asia. It is a light and flavorful salad that is perfect for hot summer days. The salad is typically made with cucumbers, carrots, red onions, and a tangy dressing that is made with rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
Why You’ll Love This Easy Cold Salad Recipe
- Easy to Make: This recipe is quick and easy to make, requiring only a few simple ingredients and minimal prep time. It’s perfect for those busy weeknights when you want to make something delicious without spending hours in the kitchen.
- Bursting with Flavor: The combination of soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil gives this salad a delicious savory flavor that will leave your taste buds wanting more. The addition of maple syrup and sesame seeds adds a nice pop of sweet flavor and texture.
- Versatile: This salad can be served as a side dish or as a main course. It’s also a great option for meal prep, as it can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for a few days.
Ingredients for Crunchy Asian Cucumber Salad
Cucumber: You will need 1 small cucumber for the base of this fresh and tasty salad.
Soy sauce: Use 1 TBSP of soy sauce to create a savory flavor for the salad dressing.
Sesame oil: Add in 1 TBSP of sesame oil to give this dish a nice earthy taste.
Rice vinegar: Using a common ingredient in dressings, add 1 TBSP of rice vinegar.
Maple syrup: Help sweeten the dressing by adding in 1 TBSP maple syrup
Sesame seeds: For a satisfying crunch, you will want to use ½ tsp of sesame seeds.
Garlic (optional): If desired, you can add in ½ tsp of garlic for more amazing flavor.
How to make Asian Cumber Salad
Get started by slicing the cucumbers thinly & set them aside.
Next, in a medium sized bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, maple syrup, garlic and sesame seeds. Whisk until well blended.
Proceed to add in the sliced cucumbers and stir until well combined. After that, let the salad sit for 5-10 minutes, stirring often.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Variations of Crunchy Asian Cucumber Salad
Crunchy Asian Cucumber Salad is a versatile dish that can be modified in many ways to suit different tastes and preferences. Here are some variations of the salad that can be tried out:
Spicy Cucumber Salad: For those who prefer a little heat in their food, adding some spice to the salad can be a great option. This can be done by adding sliced jalapenos or red pepper flakes to the salad. Alternatively, a spicy dressing can be made by mixing together soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, garlic, and chili paste.
Creamy Cucumber Salad: To add some creaminess to the salad, a dressing made with Greek yogurt, lemon juice, dill, and garlic can be used. This will give the salad a tangy and refreshing taste.
Thai Cucumber Salad: To give the salad a Thai twist, a dressing made with fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, garlic, and chili paste can be used. This will give the salad a sweet, sour, and spicy flavor that is characteristic of Thai cuisine.
Korean Cucumber Salad: To give the salad a Korean twist, a dressing made with gochujang (Korean chili paste), soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, and garlic can be used. This will give the salad a sweet, spicy, and savory flavor that is characteristic of Korean cuisine.
CRUNCHY ASIAN CUCUMBER SALAD
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 TBSP sesame oil
- 1 TBSP rice vinegar
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp garlic optional
- Prep: Slice cucumbers thinly & set aside.
- Dressing: In a bowl combine soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, syrup, garlic and sesame seeds. Whisk until well blended.
- Assemble: Add in cucumbers and stir until combined. Let sit 5-10 minutes, stirring often. Serve immediately.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Pairing Suggestions for Asian Cucumber Salad
When it comes to pairing beverages with Crunchy Asian Cucumber Salad, there are several options to choose from. The salad is light and refreshing, so it pairs well with beverages that have similar qualities. Here are some suggestions:
- Green Tea: This beverage is perfect for those who want a non-alcoholic option. Green tea has a light and delicate flavor that complements the salad’s refreshing taste.
- Sake: For those who prefer an alcoholic option, sake is a great choice. It has a subtle sweetness that pairs well with the salad’s tangy flavors.
- White Wine: A crisp and refreshing white wine, such as a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio, is an excellent pairing for the salad. The acidity in the wine complements the salad’s vinegar-based dressing.
Crunchy Asian Cucumber Salad can be served as a side dish or as a main course. If you’re serving it as a main course, you’ll want to pair it with a dish that complements its flavors. Here are some suggestions:
- Grilled Chicken: Grilled chicken is a great option for pairing with the salad. The smoky flavor of the chicken pairs well with the salad’s tangy dressing.
- Shrimp Stir-Fry: A shrimp stir-fry is a perfect match for the salad. The sweetness of the shrimp complements the salad’s tangy flavors.
- Tofu and Vegetable Stir-Fry: For a vegetarian option, a tofu and vegetable stir-fry is an excellent pairing for the salad. The tofu adds protein to the dish, while the vegetables add texture and flavor.
Can you share a spicy Asian cucumber salad recipe?
Yes, there are many variations of spicy Asian cucumber salad recipes. One popular recipe includes thinly sliced cucumbers, red onion, and a dressing made with rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Simply mix all the ingredients together and let the flavors marinate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
What are some tips for keeping cucumbers crunchy in a salad?
To keep cucumbers crunchy in a salad, it’s important to start with fresh cucumbers and slice them thinly. You can also sprinkle salt over the sliced cucumbers and let them sit for 10-15 minutes to draw out excess water before adding them to the salad. Another tip is to add the dressing just before serving to prevent the cucumbers from becoming soggy.
For more delicious salad recipes, try some of our favorites here:
- Creamy Orange Fruit Salad
- Berries and Cream Salad
- Cream Cheese Grape Salad
- Berry Spinach Salad
- Copycat KFC Coleslaw recipe
- Garden Vegetable Caprese Salad
- Spinach Chicken Pasta Salad
- Pizza Pasta Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
- Fiesta Ranch Chicken Pasta Salad
- Fancy Fruit Salad
- Orange Cream Fruit Salad
- Chicken Pasta Salad
- Cranberry Jello Salad
- Tropical Jello Pretzel Salad
Crunchy Asian Cucumber Salad is a must-try dish for anyone looking for a healthy and refreshing way to use cucumbers. Whether you are looking for a healthy lunch or a side dish for dinner, this easy salad is sure to please.