Tropical Jello Pretzel Salad is a winning combination of pineapple, coconut and orange jello with mandarin oranges. It’s an easy to make sweet mandarin orange jello dessert packed with fluff, crunch, and tropical flavors.
This jello salad with a pretzel crust on the bottom has a nice texture and flavor. The pretzels in this Jell-O salad recipe taste similar to chopped pecans!
The Tropical Jello Pretzel Salad is so delicious (and pretty) that it would be perfect for your next get together, and with how fast it is to make this tropical orange jello salad, you don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen making this simple layered jello recipe.
Tips For Making This Jello Salad With Pretzels
If you want to do the easier method, follow the recipe using a tub of whipped topping like requested. If you’d like for your tropical pretzel jello salad recipe to be a little more homemade, you can switch out the whipped topping and use 2 cups of homemade whipped cream instead. This can be a great way to adjust the sweetness of the dish to your liking.
You are going to need a 9×13 baking dish to make this tropical jello salad because this recipe makes a lot of servings! If you don’t have a 9×13 you can use to 8×8 baking dishes but your tropical jello salad may not be as tall because it was divided.
Is Jello Salad With Fruit a Dessert?
Jello is sold as a gelatin-based dessert but is often served as a side dish. Schools and hospitals often serve it with lunch, and Jello recipes with cool whip often find their way to the holiday tables with the main dish and sides as opposed to the dessert table with cakes and pies.
When Was Jello Salad Invented?
Jello was invented back in 1897, and the first recipes for jello salad can be dated back to 1904. That being said, jello salads really didn’t become popular until the 1960’s. Thank goodness that they did grow in popularity though because now we have so many wonderful jello salads to choose from!
Tropical Jello Pretzel Salad Ingredients
For The Pretzel Crust You Will Need:
-2 cups crushed pretzels
-3/4 cup melted butter
-3 TBSP sugar
For the Fluffy Jello Salad Filling You Will Need:
-1 20-oz can crushed pineapple (NOT drained!)
-1 3-oz box Coconut Cream pudding mix
-1 8-oz tub whipped topping*
For The Topping You Will Need:
-1 3-oz box orange Jello
-1 cup boiling water
-3 11-oz cans mandarin oranges, drained
How To Make Tropical Jello Pretzel Salad
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Combine the crushed pretzels, sugar and melted butter in the pan. Gently stir everything to combine and then spread it evenly around the pan. Bake the crust for 10 minutes and then let it cool completely.
Pour the entire can of crushed pineapple (with juice!) into a medium sized mixing bowl. Sprinkle the coconut pudding mix on top of that and then stir until completely incorporated. Fold in the whipped topping.
Transfer the mixture to a 9×13 pan, spreading it on top of the baked pretzels, making sure that the mixture reaches all of the edges. Set the pan in the fridge to keep it cool while you mix the jello.
Combine 1 cup of boiling water with the box of orange jello. Stir it until the jello is completely dissolved. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes until the jello cools off slightly. Pour it on top of the pineapple-whipped topping. Arrange the mandarin orange slices so that they cover the entire surface of the salad. (They’ll be set into the jello once it cools.)
Cover the salad and refrigerate it for at least 3-4 hours, until the salad is completely cooled and set. Cut it into squares to serve. Store the leftovers in the fridge.
TROPICAL JELLO PRETZEL SALAD
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 3 TBSP sugar
- 1 20- oz can crushed pineapple NOT drained!
- 1 3- oz box Coconut Cream pudding mix
- 1 8- oz tub whipped topping*
- 1 3- oz box orange Jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 11- oz cans mandarin oranges drained
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine crushed pretzels, sugar and melted butter in pan. Gently stir to combine and spread around pan evenly. Bake for 10 minutes and cool completely.
- Pour entire can of crushed pineapple (with juice!) into a medium sized mixing bowl. Sprinkle coconut pudding mix on top and stir until completely incorporated. Fold in whipped topping. Transfer mixture to 9x13 pan, spreading on top of baked pretzels, making sure mixture reaches all of the edges. Set pan in fridge to keep cool while you mix the jello.
- Combine 1 cup boiling water with box of orange jello. Stir until jello is completely dissolved. Let sit 10-15 minutes, until jello cools slightly. Pour on top of pineapple-whipped topping. Arrange mandarin orange slices so that they cover the entire surface of the salad. (They'll be set in with the jello once it cools.)
- Cover salad with plastic wrap and set in fridge at least 3-4 hours, until salad is completely cooled and set. Cut squares to serve. Store leftovers in fridge.
Can You Freeze Jello Salad?
While you could freeze the Jell-o salad recipe, it may not give you the desired results that you’re looking for. If you freeze it before the jello sets, then the jello will never set correctly and as the dessert salad thaws, the dish will all be a different texture than what you’re looking for.
How Long Does It Take For Jello Salad To Set?
This Tropical Jello Salad should take about 3 to 4 hours to fully set, but allowing the dish to set overnight in the fridge is a great way to make sure that it is completely perfect before serving. It also gives the flavors longer to develop.
Like jello recipes? So do we! Check out our full collection of jello salads and jello desserts here:
- 35+ Best Jello Recipes
- Berry Jello Pretzel Salad
- Layered Valentine’s Jello Cups
- Cranberry Jello Salad recipe
- Rainbow Jello Cups
- Glazed Strawberry Fruit Pizza
- Lemon Raspberry Fruit Pizza
- Strawberry Jello Pretzel Salad recipe
- Layered Christmas Jello Cups
- Orange Cream Fruit Salad
- Classic Strawberry Jello Mold
- Strawberries & Cream Poke Cake
- Raspberry Vanilla Jello Salad
- Creamy Jello Fruit Dip
- Raspberry Cream Cake
- Chocolate Raspberry Sticks
If you like Jello salad with pineapple and jello recipes with cool whip, you’re going to love this Tropical Jello Pretzel Salad Recipe. It’s a flavorful explosion of coconut, pineapple, and mandarin oranges with a delightful crunch.