Chocolate peanut butter pie made from scratch with layers of chocolate and peanut butter in a flaky pie crust, topped with sweet whipped cream. The ultimate chocolate + peanut butter combination in a creamy pie that’s easy to make!
This peanut butter and chocolate pie is every peanut butter lover’s dream. With a sweet and creamy peanut butter filling and a simple cooked chocolate pudding on top, every bite is sweet, savory, and full of delicious flavors that are sure to have your tastebuds singing.
Homemade Chocolate Cream Pie
Whether you’re an experienced baker or not, this pie is a simple made-from-scratch recipe that includes an almost fail-proof pie crust recipe as the base. Every step is easy to follow and the end results speak for themselves as no one will be able to resist the temptations of getting a slice for themselves. Try this recipe today and see why it will quickly become a favorite in your home.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie Ingredients
-Flour: The base of the pie crust is 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour.
-Butter: You will need 1 cup of chilled butter that has been cut into cubes.
-Water: You will need about 7 tablespoons of ice-cold water. This amount varies.
-Vinegar: To make your pie flaky and flavorful add in 1 tablespoon of vinegar. You can use apple cider vinegar or white vinegar, both work well.
Peanut Butter Filling
-Peanut butter: ¾ cups of creamy peanut butter will make our filling flavorful and smooth.
-Butter: You will need ½ stick (¼ cup) of softened butter in the filling to make it richer in taste.
-Powdered sugar: To make the filling sweet and keep it smooth, use ¾ cups of powdered sugar.
-Vanilla: Enhance the flavors with ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
-Egg yolks: You will need 3 beaten egg yolks to make the filling rich and flavorful.
-Sugar: Use 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar to make the filling sweet.
-Cornstarch: To help thicken the filling you will need 3 tablespoons of cornstarch.
-Cocoa powder: To give us a rich chocolate flavor we need ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder.
-Salt: Adding ½ teaspoon of salt will enhance the flavor in the filling.
-Milk: You will need 3 cups of milk to make the filling more pudding-like.
-Butter: Using a tablespoon of butter will make the filling richer in taste and add a nice shine.
-Vanilla: Enhance the flavors in this filling by using 1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
-Toppings: For topping off the pie and making it look incredible, use whipped topping, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, and ¼ cup of hot fudge sauce.
How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
Make the Pie Crust
In a food processor, combine the flour, salt, and butter until the mixture resembled coarse crumbs. You can also use a bowl and a fork if needed.
Pour half of the water and vinegar mixture into the flour and butter. Mix them together.
Pour in the remaining ice water and vinegar and knead until the dough just comes together.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat it into a round shape.
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Roll out the dough into a circle and place it on a pie plate.
Prick the dough all over with a fork and blind-bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the crust is golden.
Remove the crust from the oven and allow it to cool as the fillings are prepared.
Make the Peanut Butter Layer
Whip together the peanut butter billings into a bowl with a hand mixer until nice and smooth.
Spread that mixture into the bottom of the crust.
Make the Chocolate Pudding Layer
Prepare the chocolate filling by creaming together the egg yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
Mix in the cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt.
Add in the milk and stir gently.
Pour the mixture into a large saucepan and cook over medium heat while whisking constantly until boiling.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla extract. Cool slightly and then pour the mixture over the top of the peanut butter layer.
Chill the pie in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving.
When the pie is cool, top it with whipped topping.
In a small mixing bowl, melt together the peanut butter for 30 seconds and drizzle them over the top of the pie.
Drizzle the hot fudge all over the top of the pie. Slice, serve & enjoy!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter cubed and chilled
- 7 TBSP ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
Peanut Butter filling
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks beaten
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped topping
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ¼ cup hot fudge sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flour, salt, and butter in a food processor or mash with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pour half the ice water and vinegar mixture into the flour and butter mixture. Mix together. Pour in remaining ice water and vinegar mixture and knead until it just comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, pat into round shape. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pie crust and place into a pie pan. Prick the crust all over with a fork and bake for 25 minutes or until crust is golden. Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the fillings.
- Using your hand mixer whip together the peanut butter filling ingredients together until nice and smooth. Spread that in the bottom of the pie crust.
- Next prepare your chocolate filling. In a large mixing bowl, cream together egg yolks and sugar. Mix in cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt. Add milk and stir gently.
- Pour mixture into a large saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in butter or margarine and vanilla extract.
- Cool slightly, then pour mixture over the peanut butter layer. Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving. When cool, top with the whipped topping.
- In a small microwave safe bowl melt the peanut butter for 30 seconds and drizzle over the top of the pie. Drizzle the hot fudge all over the top. Serve & ENJOY!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can I use a different pie crust?
While I recommend this chocolate peanut butter pie with regular pie crust, using a graham or oreo crust bottom are also great ideas that will taste amazing. Use what you feel most comfortable with or whichever saves you time if you’re in a hurry.
How long is chocolate peanut butter pie good for?
You can keep this pie stored in the fridge for about 3-5 days. Make sure to keep it well covered so that it doesn’t dry out and keeps tasting as fresh as the day you made it.
More chocolate peanut butter recipes you’re sure to love!
- CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER MARSHMALLOW BARK
- CHOCOLATE CHIP PEANUT BUTTER BROWNIES
- CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER DIP
- PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CUP CUPCAKES
- PEANUT BUTTER CHIP CHOCOLATE COOKIES
- THE BEST PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE CARAMEL PEANUT BUTTER POKE CAKE
- CHOCOLATE CARAMEL PEANUT BUTTER BARS
With an easy and creamy chocolate peanut butter pie recipe like this one on hand, you’ll always have the perfect dessert for any occasion. Birthdays, holidays, and simple weekend delights are all great excuses for making and enjoying this tasty treat!