This puff pastry Christmas tree is the perfect holiday appetizer! Gorgeous spinach cheese pastry tree that’s as delicious as it is pretty & perfect for parties!
Made with just a few very simple ingredients and prepared in just a few minutes, this tree is gorgeous & so easy to make! It’s a perfect appetizer to serve during the holidays without the added effort and time distracting from the fun.
What is a pastry christmas tree?
It’s a buttery, flakey, spinach and cheese puff pastry shaped and designed to look like a green Christmas tree. With the flakey golden layers of puff pastry surrounding a creamy cheese and spinach filling, this appetizer is a savory snack that everyone will enjoy.
Puff pastry tree Ingredients
-Puff pastry: You will need 6 pieces of puff pastry and because two usually come in a box this means that you will need 3 boxes of the puffy pastry.
-Spinach: Use 1 ½ cups of spinach for this pastry tree.
-Cheeses: Use 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese and ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese to make this appetizer cheesy and irresistible.
-Seasonings: You will need 1 teaspoon each of smoked paprika, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
-Egg: You will need to use 1 egg yolk to help give the pastry a golden color once baked.
-Sesame seeds: Adding a tablespoon of sesame seeds to the pastry makes it look cooler and taste better too!
-Flour: You will only need a little bit of flour for sprinkling.
How to make puff pastry Christmas tree
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Remove the puff pastry from the boxes and allow the pieces to come to room temperature so that they are easier to handle.
Place the spinach, paprika, onion powder, salt, and pepper into a food processor and mix well to combine.
Flour the counter and then lay out 3 of the rectangular pieces of puff pastry on top of each other, sprinkle some flour on top and then roll it out to a 10-12 rectangle using a rolling pin.
Do the same thing with the three other sheets of puff pastry on another floured section of the countertop.
Slice each rectangle into a tall triangle with a knife of a dough cutter. Try to make your triangle look like a Christmas tree.
Place the first triangle stack on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Spread your spinach paste on top and then sprinkle with some grated cheddar cheese and about ⅔ cups of parmesan cheese.
Cover with the other triangular piece of dough.
Seal the edges together by pressing the dough closed with your fingers.
Make 1”-4” cut on the sides of the tree and then twist the dough. Repeat the cuts from the top of the tree down on each side.
Mix the egg yolk with one tablespoon of water and then brush it over the top of the dough.
Sprinkle the tree with sesame seeds and the remaining parmesan cheese.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve warm & enjoy!
Puff Pastry Christmas Tree
- 6 pieces puff pastry 3 ct 17.3oz boxes, 2 pieces per box
- 1 ½ cup spinach
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- some flour for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove the puff pastry from boxes. Bring the puff pastry dough pieces to room temperature.
- Put the spinach, paprika, onion powder, salt, pepper in a food processor and mix well.
- Flour the counter, lay out 3 rectangles of puff pastry dough on top of each other, sprinkle flour on top and roll into a 10-12″ rectangular shape with a rolling pin.
- Do the same for the 3 other puff pastry sheets on another section of countertop.
- Cut each rectangle into a tall triangle with a knife or dough cutter. (Try and resemble a Christmas tree!)
- Place the 1st triangle stack on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the spinach paste on top, then sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese & about 2/3 of the Parmesan.
- Cover with the other triangular piece of dough.
- Seal the edges together by pressing the dough closed with your fingers.
- Make 1″ to 4″ cuts on the sides of the tree, then twist the dough. Repeat cuts from the top of the tree down, on each side.
- Mix the egg yolk well with 1 tablespoon of water and brush it all over the top of the dough.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds & remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 400°F oven until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Serve warm.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How long is spinach and cheese puff pastry good for?
The leftovers from this tree can last about 2-3 days if kept stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Do I use fresh or frozen spinach?
You can use either one depending on what you have on hand. If using frozen spinach make sure to first thaw it out and drain the excess liquid before using.
Check out these other fabulous Christmas recipes
- CHRISTMAS JELLO POKE CAKE
- WHITE CHRISTMAS TREE PRETZELS
- SANTA APPROVED CHRISTMAS TREATS
- CHRISTMAS CREAM PUFFS
- SOFT CHRISTMAS SUGAR COOKIES
- CHRISTMAS MUDDY BUDDIES
- CHRISTMAS CINNAMON ROLLS
- CHRISTMAS CRANBERRY CAKE
- HOT CHOCOLATE CHRISTMAS COOKIES
- CHRISTMAS SPRINKLE SUGAR COOKIES
- M&M CHRISTMAS COOKIE BARS
- FESTIVE CHRISTMAS VEGGIE TRAYS & PLATTERS
- LAYERED CHRISTMAS JELLO CUPS
You’re going to love this cheesy puff pastry Christmas tree. It’s the perfect festive appetizer for any dinner party and so easy to prepare.
Leave a Reply