Broccoli Cheddar Casserole packed with 3 different cheeses, eggs, biscuit mix and broccoli florets for a delicious, hearty side dish! Classic broccoli bake Grandma used to make!
Cheesy broccoli casserole is a great way to get your daily dose of veggies while enjoying a tasty and satisfying side dish. Whether you are a fan of broccoli or not, this broccoli cheese casserole is a must-try dish that is sure to become a family favorite.
Making a Broccoli Cheese Bake
To make cheesy broccoli casserole, you will need just a few simple ingredients, such as broccoli, biscuit mix, milk, and multiple types of cheese. The dish is typically prepared by combining the broccoli with a creamy cheese sauce and baking it in the oven until golden and bubbly. The result is a flavorful and comforting dish that is sure to please everyone at the table.
Why You Will Love This Cheesy Broccoli Recipe
- It’s easy to make: This recipe is perfect for those who are short on time but still want to enjoy a delicious and healthy meal. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have this dish on the table in no time.
- Vitamin + Protein Packed: Broccoli is a superfood that is packed with vitamins and nutrients. Eggs and 3 different cheeses add a great amount of protein per serving. This recipe is a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables in a delicious and satisfying way.
- It’s perfect for meal prep: This dish can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer for later. It’s a great option for busy weeknights or for those who want to have healthy meals on hand.
Ingredients for Cheesy Broccoli Bake
Cream cheese: You will need 3-ounces of cream cheese, softened, to give this casserole a creamy texture and delicious flavor.
Eggs: Using 6 eggs will help bind all the ingredients together well as it bakes.
Milk: Add in 1 cup of milk to create the perfect consistency to this casserole dish.
Biscuit mix: For the perfect texture, you will want to add in one 8-ounce box of jiffy biscuit mix.
Broccoli: You need 12-ounces of broccoli florets (about 3 cups), you can use fresh or frozen depending on your preference.
Cheese: Adding in 2 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded, will give this dish even more amazing flavor.
Cottage cheese: Use 1 cup of cottage cheese to achieve a wonderful tender and soft casserole dish.
Salt: Add about ¼ tsp. of salt to taste.
Start by greasing an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside. Then get the oven preheating to 350°F.
If you are using a block of cheddar cheese, shred the 2 cups needed. Also, prepare the broccoli as well by washing and cutting into bite sized pieces.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese, eggs, milk and biscuit mix until just combined.
Then stir in the broccoli, shredded cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and the salt.
Proceed to pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near center of the dish comes out clean.
The dish will be very hot, be sure to let it stand for about 10 minutes before serving. Scoop individual servings onto plates and enjoy!
Variations for Broccoli Cheddar Casserole
There are several ways to customize the Cheesy Broccoli Bake recipe to suit individual preferences. Here are some ideas:
- Add protein: For a heartier meal, add more protein to the dish. Cooked chicken, ham, or bacon can be added to the broccoli mixture before baking. Alternatively, you can serve the bake with grilled chicken or fish on the side.
- Use different cheeses: While cheddar cheese is the classic choice for this recipe, other types of cheese can be used for a different flavor. Try using Swiss, Gouda, or Monterey Jack cheese instead of cheddar.
- Add extra vegetables: To boost the nutritional content of the dish, add some extra vegetables. Diced bell peppers, carrots, mushrooms, or zucchini can be added to the broccoli mixture. Alternatively, you can serve the bake with a side salad or steamed vegetables.
- Make it spicy: For a kick of heat, add some diced jalapenos or red pepper flakes to the broccoli mixture. Alternatively, serve the bake with a side of hot sauce or salsa.
Cheesy Broccoli Bake
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz jiffy biscuit mix
- 12 oz broccoli florets fresh or frozen, about 3 cups
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cups cottage cheese
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Prep: Start by greasing an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside. Then get the oven preheating to 350°F.
- If you are using a block of cheddar cheese, shred the 2 cups needed. Also, prepare the broccoli as well by washing and cutting into bite sized pieces.
- Assemble: In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, eggs, milk and biscuit mix just until combined. Stir in broccoli, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and salt.
- Bake: Proceed to pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near center of the dish comes out clean.
- Be sure to let it stand for about 10 minutes before serving. Scoop individual servings onto plates and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How to store and reheat Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
After preparing the Cheesy Broccoli Bake, it is important to store it properly to maintain its quality and freshness. The dish can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
When reheating the dish, it is recommended to use an oven or toaster oven to maintain the texture and taste of the bake. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and place the bake in an oven-safe dish. Cover the dish with foil and heat for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
To reheat individual portions, use a microwave-safe dish and cover with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap. Heat on high for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Stir the bake halfway through the heating process to ensure even heating.
It is important to note that repeated reheating of the dish may cause the texture and flavor to deteriorate. Therefore, it is recommended to only reheat the dish once and consume any leftovers within 24 hours.
How can I make a healthy version of broccoli bake?
To make a healthier version of broccoli bake, consider using low-fat cheese, skim milk, and whole wheat breadcrumbs (in lieu of the biscuit mix). You can also add other vegetables, such as carrots or bell peppers, to increase the nutrient content. Additionally, you can reduce the amount of cheese or use a non-dairy alternative, such as nutritional yeast or tofu, to decrease the calorie and fat content.
What are some side dishes to serve with this broccoli bake?
Cheesy broccoli bake pairs well with a variety of side dishes, including roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, or a simple green salad. You can also serve it alongside grilled chicken or fish for a complete and satisfying meal.
Is broccoli and cheese a good combination? Why?
Broccoli and cheese is a classic combination that is enjoyed by many people. Broccoli is a nutrient-dense vegetable that is high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, while cheese adds flavor and richness to the dish. Together, they create a delicious and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed by vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.
Need more casserole recipes? Try more of our favorites here:
- BUFFALO CHICKEN TATERTOT CASSEROLE
- HASH BROWN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- MAPLE PECAN SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
- CHICKEN BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
- TACO CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
- HOLIDAY HAM & CHEESE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- TWICE BAKED POTATO CASSEROLE
- CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE
- CHICKEN TORTILLA CHIP CASSEROLE
- CHEESY BAKED EGG CASSEROLE
Cheesy Broccoli Bake is a delicious and easy side dish to make on busy weeknights. It comes together fast and everyone is left satisfied. This broccoli bake recipe calls for simple ingredients and is an inexpensive dish to make; bring it to your next family gathering or potluck.