Zucchini Cheddar Bread is a delicious and easy-to-make bread that is a perfect way to use up all the zucchini from your garden or local farmers’ market. The combination of zucchini and cheddar cheese creates a savory flavor that will leave you wanting more of this moist zucchini bread.
To make the best zucchini bread recipe, you will need flour, baking powder, salt, eggs, butter, shredded zucchini, shredded cheddar cheese, and buttermilk. The ingredients are simple and simple to find, making this easy zucchini bread a great option for anyone looking to make a quick and delicious bread.
Zucchini Cheddar Bread
Zucchini Cheddar Bread is a savory bread that has become increasingly popular in recent years. While the exact origin of this bread is unknown, it is believed to have originated in the United States in the early 20th century. The recipe typically includes shredded zucchini, cheddar cheese, flour, eggs, and other seasonings. The bread is often served as a side dish or as a snack.
This zucchini bread is not only delicious, but it also has a number of health benefits. Zucchini is a low-calorie vegetable that is high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It is also a good source of antioxidants, which can help to protect the body against damage from free radicals. Cheddar cheese is a good source of protein and calcium, which are important for maintaining strong bones and muscles.
Variations of Savory Zucchini Bread to Try!
There are many ways to customize the classic zucchini cheddar bread recipe to fit different tastes and dietary restrictions. Here are a few variations to consider:
- Gluten-free: Substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. Almond flour and coconut flour are also great options, but may require additional adjustments to the recipe.
- Vegan: Use a vegan cheddar cheese alternative or omit the cheese altogether. Replace the eggs with a vegan egg substitute, such as flax eggs or applesauce.
- Spicy: Add some heat to the bread by mixing in diced jalapeños or red pepper flakes. For a milder option, try adding some diced bell peppers.
- Herb-infused: Incorporate fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, or basil into the batter for a fragrant and flavorful twist.
- Sweet: For a sweeter version of zucchini bread, you’ve got to check out our BEST Zucchini Bread recipe!
Zucchini Bread Ingredients
Flour: You need 3 cups of flour for the base of this bread recipe.
Baking powder: Adding in 4 tsp. of baking powder will help this bread rise nicely as it bakes.
Salt: Use 1 tsp. of salt to balance all the wonderful flavors in this bread well.
Baking soda: For a great soft bread, add in ½ tsp. of baking soda.
Zucchini: You will need 1 cup of shredded zucchini for a nutritious addition to this incredible bread.
Cheese: Using 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, divided, gives this dish even more amazing taste.
Scallions: Add in ¼ cup of chopped scallions for a fresh, onion flavor that pairs so well with the flavors in this bread recipe.
Parsley: For some great earthly taste, use 3 TBSP of chopped parsley in this batter.
Onion powder: This bread recipe is packed with so much flavor, adding in 1 tsp. of onion powder rounds out the great taste of this dish.
Eggs: You need 2 large eggs to help bind all the ingredients together well.
Buttermilk: Use 1 cup of buttermilk in this batter to help create a soft and tender bread loaf.
Butter: Add in 4 TBSP of melted butter to give the batter needed fats to stay moist and result in a rich and flavorful bread.
Step by step on how to make Cheddar Zucchini Bread
Start by positioning a rack in the center of the oven, then get the oven preheating to 350°F. After that, grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray and set it aside.
Also, get the zucchini prepped for baking as well. Using a cheese grater, shred the zucchini to collect the 1 cup needed for the batter. Use a paper towel to squeeze some of the liquid out of it and set it aside.
Lastly, dice the scallions and parsley (if using fresh parsley) into very small bits and set them aside as well.
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda thoroughly.
Next, add in the shredded zucchini, ¾ cup of cheddar cheese, scallions, parsley, and onion powder. Toss ingredients together well to separate and coat with the flour.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter. Proceed to add this mixture to the four mixture and mix lightly just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix; the batter will not be smooth.
After that, transfer the batter to the prepared bread pan. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, then top with the remaining ¼ cup of cheddar cheese. Bake another 10-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes before overturning the bread pan to remove loaf & cool completely on the rack.
Slice, serve and enjoy!
Zucchini Cheddar Bread
- 3 cups flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup zucchini shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- ¼ cup scallions chopped
- 3 TBSP parsley chopped
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 TBSP butter melted
- Prep: Start by positioning a rack in the center of the oven, then get the oven preheating to 350°F. After that, grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray and set it aside.
- Get the zucchini prepped for baking as well. Use a cheese grater, shred the zucchini to collect the 1 cup needed for the batter. Use a paper towel to squeeze some of the liquid out of it and set it aside. Dice the scallions and parsley (if using fresh parsley) into small pieces and set them aside.
- Batter: In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda thoroughly.
- Add the zucchini, ¾ cup cheddar cheese, scallions, parsley and onion powder. Toss to separate and coat with flour.
- Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and butter in a separate bowl. Add to the four mixture and mix lightly just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix; the batter will not be smooth.
- Bake: Transfer batter to prepared bread pan. Bake 45 minutes, then top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake another 10-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes before overturning bread pan to remove loaf & cool completely on the rack. Slice and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Storage and Preservation of Zucchini Bread
Zucchini Cheddar Bread can be stored in different ways depending on how long you want to keep it fresh. Here are some tips to ensure that your bread stays fresh for as long as possible:
- Room Temperature: If you plan on consuming the bread within a day or two, it can be kept at room temperature. Wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to keep it from drying out. Avoid storing it in direct sunlight or in a humid area as this may cause it to spoil faster.
- Refrigerator: If you want to store the bread for up to a week, it can be kept in the refrigerator. Wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out. Before consuming, allow the bread to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Freezer: If you want to store the bread for longer than a week, it can be frozen. Wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in a freezer-safe container. Label the container with the date so that you can keep track of how long it has been frozen. When ready to consume, allow the bread to thaw at room temperature for a few hours before serving.
It’s important to note that the texture and flavor of the bread may change slightly after being stored. However, with proper storage and handling, the bread should remain fresh and delicious for several days.
Serving Suggestions for Cheddar Zucchini Bread
Zucchini Cheddar Bread is a versatile dish that can be served in many ways. Here are some suggestions to help you enjoy this delicious bread.
- Breakfast: Zucchini Cheddar Bread is a great addition to any breakfast menu. It can be served with eggs, bacon, and toast for a hearty breakfast. Alternatively, it can be toasted and served with butter and jam for a quick and easy breakfast on-the-go.
- Lunch: For lunch, Zucchini Cheddar Bread can be served as a sandwich with your favorite deli meats and cheeses. It can also be toasted and topped with avocado, tomato, and lettuce for a healthy and satisfying lunch.
- Dinner: Zucchini Cheddar Bread can be served as a side dish with any main course. It pairs well with grilled chicken, steak, or fish. It can also be used as a base for a delicious pizza. Simply add your favorite toppings and bake in the oven for a tasty and easy dinner.
- Snack: Zucchini Cheddar Bread makes a great snack. It can be sliced and served with hummus or other dips for a healthy snack option. It can also be toasted and topped with melted cheese for a delicious and indulgent snack.
How can I make cheesy garlic zucchini bread?
To make cheesy garlic zucchini bread, you can add minced garlic to your zucchini bread batter. Mix the garlic into the batter before baking the bread. This will give your zucchini bread a savory and cheesy flavor that pairs well with the mild taste of zucchini.
Can I make zucchini cheddar muffins?
Yes, you can make zucchini cheddar muffins by using the same batter as the zucchini cheddar bread recipe but pouring it into a muffin tin instead of a loaf pan. Adjust the baking time accordingly to ensure the muffins are cooked through.
BEST BREAD PAN?
I bake a lot of bread and the pans I prefer are either ceramic, glass or cast iron. These pans will bake bread more evenly and release the bread more easily after baking. I don’t like using dark or nonstick pans because the bread cooks unevenly. It darkens on the outside before the bread is cooked on the inside, so the coloring is uneven. Read more about which bread pan is the best here!
Is there a recipe for savory zucchini bread without cheese?
Yes, there are many savory zucchini bread recipes that do not require cheese. One option is to use herbs and spices like rosemary, thyme, and black pepper to add flavor to the bread. You can also add chopped onions, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes to the batter for an extra savory kick.
Love bread as much as we do? Try more quick bread recipes here:
- SWEET IRISH SODA BREAD
- PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE BREAD
- PINEAPPLE QUICK BREAD
- PINEAPPLE ZUCCHINI BREAD
- EASY CINNAMON ROLL QUICK BREAD
- PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE GINGERBREAD
- DUTCH APPLE BREAD RECIPE
- LEMON ZUCCHINI BREAD
- CINNAMON YOGURT BREAD
- LEMON BLUEBERRY POUND CAKE
- FRESH CRANBERRY ORANGE BREAD
- CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT BREAD
- FROSTED GINGERBREAD LOAF
Zucchini Cheddar Bread is a wonderful quick bread to enjoy for breakfast, lunch or dinner! The combination of flavors in this moist zucchini bread is simply heavenly and will leave you wanting more.