Watermelon Salad recipe with just 4 ingredients! Delightful mix of sweet and savory flavors in this watermelon salad with basil and balsamic vinegar!
If you love Watermelon you will love Watermelon Salad. This summer salad is light and fresh and packed full of delicious flavors. Our recipe is so easy and quick to throw together you will be making it all summer long. Watermelon Salad is a delicious fruit salad with sophisticated flavors that everyone will love. With only four ingredients you can easily make this for a crowd.
I recently discovered Watermelon Salad and I’m hooked. I love a good salad in the summer time and this one is no exception. Not only is it so easy to throw together- but it is so refreshing, too! It is the perfect combination of savory and sweet.
How to pick the perfect watermelon
Picking the perfect watermelon can be tricky. You want it to be sweet and firm and avoid it being too mushy and lacking flavor.
I always get so excited when I pick a super sweet and delicious watermelon and I’ve perfected my tips for doing so. I use these three simple tricks and I tend to get the perfect watermelon every time.
- Always look for a large yellow spot on the melon. This indicates that the melon was resting on the ground for a long period of time- therefore becoming more ripe.
- Look for the “brown webbing” on the watermelon. These brown spots on the watermelon mean that bees touched the pollinating parts- the more pollination, the sweeter the fruit is.
- Buy an average sized watermelon. Not too big and not too small. Regardless of the size- the watermelon should feel heavy.
Cubing a watermelon does take a little bit of practice and skill. But once you’ve done it a few times it should go super fast and you will be doing it without any problems.
- First, you will want to cut a thin slice off of one side of the watermelon
- Next, lay the melon on its side and slice it into 1.5 inch slices
- Take each slice and trim the rind off of the watermelon
- Chop the watermelon into desired cube sizes and enjoy!
-Watermelon: You’re going to want to have about 5 cups worth of cubed watermelon which is about what you’d get from a small to medium sized watermelon.
-Mozzarella balls: You can find these at your local grocery store in the deli refrigerated section.
-Fresh basil: Purchasing fresh basil is key- dried basil will not taste the same for this salad.
-Balsamic glaze: You only need about 1/2 a cup of the balsamic glaze but it really helps to make the flavors POP and taste incredible!
How to Make Watermelon Salad
In a bowl, combine the cubed watermelon with the mozzarella balls and fresh chopped basil.
Stir in the balsamic glaze, reserving some for drizzling over the top right before serving.
Watermelon Salad Variations
This salad is pretty versatile. You might enjoy switching it up from time to time and experimenting with new flavors. Here are few variations.
- Add a little mint herb along with the basil for a refreshing flavor combination
- Add crumbled Feta cheese
- Throw in more veggies and fruit- cucumbers, red onion, strawberries, or avocado would be delicious
- If you want to have more crunch add chopped walnuts or cashews
- 5 cups cubed watermelon
- 8 oz mozzarella balls
- .5 oz fresh basil, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup balsamic glaze
- Fresh herbs Fresh mint or basil
- More cheese Crumbled Feta cheese
- Fruits and Veggies Cucumbers, red onion, strawberries, or avocado
- Crunchy Nuts Chopped walnuts or cashews
- Lightly stir watermelon, mozzarella balls, and basil in a bowl until combined.
- Stir in balsamic glaze, reserving some to drizzle on top right before serving.
How long will Watermelon Salad stay good for?
You can keep this salad in the refrigerator for up to three days. However, the watermelon might become mushy over time, so it is best to enjoy it day of if possible.
How long can Watermelon Salad sit out for?
This salad is best when served cold, and because of the cheese, we wouldn’t recommend having it sit out for longer than about an hour.
Other summer fruit Salads you may enjoy:
- How to make Chicken Salad
- Fiesta Ranch Chicken Pasta Salad
- Fancy Fruit Salad
- Orange Cream Fruit Salad
- Chicken Pasta Salad
- Cranberry Jello Salad
- Tropical Jello Pretzel Salad
- Creamy Orange Fruit Salad
- Berries and Cream Salad
- Cream Cheese Grape Salad
- Berry Spinach Salad
- Copycat KFC Coleslaw recipe
- Garden Vegetable Caprese Salad
- Spinach Chicken Pasta Salad
- Pizza Pasta Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
Watermelon Salad will become your favorite way to eat watermelon this summer! It is light and fresh and the perfect summer salad with delicious flavor. This recipe is simple and is perfect for feeding a crowd!