You’re going to love this summertime treat! Watermelon ice box cookies look and taste just like watermelon making them perfect for any party or occasion.
Everything about these watermelon flavored cookies will have you swooning hard this summer. Made with a simple sugar cookie base and turned into something creative and unique, every cookie looks like a piece of art.
Inspired By Another Great Recipe
Not too long ago, I made these Lemon Ice Box Cookies and loved them. They were so easy and I loved how they were reminiscent of shortbread. As I was writing up the post, I had the idea to adapt the recipe to make the cookies look like little watermelon slices. They turned out absolutely darling! They’d be perfect for a summer barbecue.
Why You’ll Love This Watermelon Cookie Recipe
- They’re perfect for parties! Having a summertime themed baby shower or a BBQ? These watermelon themed cookies could make a great splash on any occasion.
- They taste even better than they look. I know this sounds hard to believe when you’re staring at watermelon slice sugar cookies, but these cookies don’t just look good because they taste incredible too. Soft, sweet, and packed with watermelon flavor, so you’re going to want a few more cookies on your plate.
- The cookies are easy to make. Having gorgeous looking cookies doesn’t mean you have to spend hours slaving away in the kitchen. The dough and assembly steps actually come together really quickly and easily. The hard part is having the patience you’ll need as the dough chills, but trust me, it’s worth it!
Watermelon Slice Cookies Ingredients
Flour– You only need 1 cup of all purpose flour for the base of the cookie dough in this recipe.
Powdered sugar– Add in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar to make the cookies sweeter.
Salt– Use 1/4 teaspoon of salt to make the cookies perfectly flavored. Salt will naturally enhance the flavors in every bite.
Butter– To make the cookies melt in your mouth, you will want to use 1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter.
Egg– You will need 1 large egg to bind the dough together well.
Milk– Use 1 teaspoon of milk to add just a dash more moisture to help hold the cookie dough together.
Flavoring– Adding in 1/4 teaspoon of watermelon flavoring will get the cookies to taste incredible. I found my bottle of LorAnn Oils at Walmart in the cake decorating section.
Food coloring– To get the cookies to be the perfect shade of pink, you will need 1-2 drops of pink food coloring.
Chocolate chips– Use 3 rounded tablespoons of mini chocolate chips to get the black “seeds” in every watermelon slice.
Decorating sugar– For the green watermelon rind, you will want to use green-colored decorating sugar. Rolling your dough in the sugar will give you this realistic appearance.
How to Make Watermelon Ice Box Cookies
In a food processor (or Kitchenaid mixer, like I used) pulse flour, powdered sugar, and salt until combined.
Add butter and pulse/mix until sandy.
Add egg yolk, milk, watermelon flavoring and food coloring and mix until dough comes together.
Add chocolate chips and mix until they’re well distributed.
Remove from mixer and form dough into a 2.5″ wide log. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm. (At least 2 hours, but up until 1 month.)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Remove cookie log from the fridge and let sit for about 10 minutes.
Spread green sugar on a plate; roll cookie log over sugar to coat outside. I used about 1/4 of the bottle of green sugar- you’ll have to roll it several times to get it all covered. You can even use your fingers to fill in certain spots.
Slice log into just larger than 1/4″ slices and arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. I got 12 rounds from my cookie log.
Cut each cookie round in half, so that you have slices of “watermelon.”
Bake about 12-14 minutes, until cookies are golden brown around edges.
Cool completely and ENJOY!
Watermelon Ice Box Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp milk
- 1/4 tsp watermelon flavoring
- 1-2 drops pink food coloring
- 3 rounded TBSP mini chocolate chips
- 2-3 TBSP green decorating sugar for rolling
- In a food processor (or Kitchenaid mixer, like I used) pulse flour, powdered sugar, and salt until combined.
- Add butter and pulse/mix until sandy.
- Add egg yolk, milk, watermelon flavoring and food coloring and mix until dough comes together.
- Add chocolate chips and mix until they're well distributed. Remove from mixer and form dough into a 2.5" wide log.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm. (At least 2 hours, but up until 1 month.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove cookie log from fridge and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Spread green sugar on a plate; roll cookie log over sugar to coat outside. I used about 1/4 of the bottle of green sugar- you'll have to roll it several times to get it all covered. You can even use your fingers to fill in certain spots.
- Slice log into just larger than 1/4" slices and arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. I got 12 rounds from my cookie log.
- Cut each cookie round in half, so that you have slices of "watermelon."
- Bake about 12-14 minutes, until cookies are golden brown around edges.
- Cool completely and ENJOY!
How long are watermelon shaped cookies good for?
These cookies can be kept stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. For the best tasting experience, I recommend enjoying these cookies within 3 days as cookies can dry out if left out for too long.
Can I freeze watermelon cookies?
Yes, these cookies can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Keep in mind that the cookies should be fully cooled before being stored and that the green colored sugar may sweat or bleed as the cookies thaw, so they may not look presentable, but they will still taste really yummy!
Can I make ice box cookies in advance?
Yes, you can make the dough for these cookies in advance, and after you roll it up into a log, simply place the wrapped dough into an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months before slicing and baking. This can be a great way to enjoy freshly baked cookies all year long.
Check out these other great cookie recipes you’ll simply adore!
- LEMON PUDDING COOKIES
- CHERRY PIE COOKIES
- LEMON ICEBOX COOKIES
- RASPBERRY MELTAWAY COOKIES
- STRAWBERRY CAKE MIX COOKIES
- SUGAR COOKIE FRUIT TARTS
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHERRY COOKIES
- STRAWBERRY SUGAR COOKIE BARS
- BANANA CREAM PIE COOKIES
- CHERRY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- LEMON CREAM CHEESE COOKIES
- BLUEBERRY CREAM COOKIES
Watermelon ice box cookies are a perfect summertime treat that everyone will love. These cookies are always a huge hit made to look and taste like watermelon!