Meal Prep Southwest Chicken and Rice Bowl is loaded with amazing flavor and a great and easy way to prep meals for the week! This healthy chicken and brown rice bowl is simple to make and has only 6 ingredients!
Making this chicken and rice salad is a perfect family meal for those busy weeknights, using a pre-made rotisserie chicken makes it SO easy! The flavors in this chicken and rice bowl are sure to impress even the pickiest of eaters, it is so tasty and delicious.
Healthy Chicken and Brown Rice Bowl
It is common that the beginning of each year is the time when a lot of people decide to eat a little healthier. One of the best ways to keep that commitment more than a few of days is to meal prep. There is just something so satisfying about seeing all of those containers lined up in your fridge and knowing you do not have to think about what you are going to make to eat all week! This makes enough for 5 lunches or dinners and is very versatile too, you can add avocado or a little cheese or any other veggies that you might have on hand! This recipe is also a great meal for busy weeknights when you are taking kids to their extra curricular activities, it is healthy, filling and OH SO tasty!
Why we think you will love this meal prep recipe!
Here are just a few reasons why we think you should try this amazing meal prep recipe today!
- So easy to prepare. We make these chicken and rice bowls with a rotisserie chicken to simplify the meal preparation. It is an inexpensive and time saving way to create 5 lunch or dinners for your week ahead!
- Filling and delicious. This recipe is packed with ingredients that are healthy, delicious and will not leave you hungry. Each ingredient provides flavor and health benefits, this makes for a fantastic meal plan for your busy week.
- Won’t break the bank. If you want to not only save time but also money, this meal prep recipe is a great option. The simple ingredients are inexpensive but satisfying, you will save a ton of money by not buying lunch every day!
Southwest Chicken and Rice Bowl Ingredients
Chicken: Using 1 rotisserie chicken is a great way to simplify this meal preparation, remove the meat from the bones and shred. You can also use fresh or frozen chicken, throw it in the crockpot with your favorite seasonings and shred when cooked completely.
Brown rice: You will need 1 2⁄3 cups cooked brown rice for this fantastic dish. You can also use a microwavable rice bag if you wanted to make this recipe even easier.
Corn: Adding 1 15-ounce can of corn, drained, gives this rice bowl a wonderful blast of flavor.
Black beans: Using 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained, adds more protein and antioxidants to this delicious bowl.
Lettuce: You need 7 1⁄2 cups lettuce, chopped or torn into bite sized pieces, for the base of this recipe.
Salsa: If desired, adding Salsa to the top of all the ingredients is a lover flavor boost.
Start by preparing the brown rice according to the package or box directions. You need the rice cooked before starting the assembly of each bowl.
Chop or shred the lettuce into bite size pieces, set aside.
Next, line up 5 containers that are the same size and have lids.
Then start de-boning the chicken and shredding it into bite sized pieces. When done, divide the chicken up evenly between all 5 containers.
After that, place ⅓ cup rice into each of the containers with the chicken.
Drain the can of corn and black beans, divide each evenly into all of the containers.
Stir to mix all the ingredients in each container.
In 5 zip locked sandwich bags, divide the shredded or chopped lettuce and seal.
When ready to eat and enjoy, microwave the container with ingredients for 2 minutes and then add 1 of the prepared bags of lettuce.
Top with salsa as dressing, if desired.
Eat and enjoy!
Meal Prep Southwest Chicken and Rice Bowl
- 1 Rotisserie chicken i remove the meat from the bones and shred.
- 1 ⅔ cup Brown rice
- 1 can 15-ounce can of Corn drained
- 1 can 15-ounce can Black Beans drained
- 7 ½ cups Lettuce chopped or torn into bite sized pieces
- Salsa for topping, if desired
- Start by preparing the brown rice according to the package directions. You need the rice cooked before starting the assembly of each bowl.
- Chop or shred the lettuce into bite size pieces, set aside.
- Next, line up 5 containers that are the same size and have lids.
- Then start de-boning the chicken and shredding it into bite sized pieces. When done, divide the chicken up evenly between all 5 containers.
- After that, place ⅓ cup rice into each of the containers with the chicken.
- Drain the can of corn and black beans, divide each evenly into all of the containers.
- In 5 zip locked sandwich bags, divide the shredded or chopped lettuce and seal.
- When ready to eat and enjoy, microwave the container with ingredients for 2 minutes and then add 1 of the prepared bags of lettuce.
- Top with salsa as dressing, if desired.
- Eat and enjoy!
Do I have to use rotisserie chicken for this recipe?
No, you do not. You can choose to make your own shredded chicken if you would like. The best way to go about this would be to cook it in a crockpot, on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 ours. Season with your favorite seasonings and shred when done cooking.
What other options can I use instead of rice in this bowl?
If you are not a fan or rice or just want a slightly healthier option there are alternatives you can use. One other great option would be Quinoa, riced cauliflower, or you could nix this all together and just use extra lettuce to make a more robust salad.
Can I freeze chicken and rice bowls?
You can freeze both the cooked check and rice in freezer safe bags or airtight containers. Place in the fridge to defrost overnight when you are ready to enjoy them. Make sure to leave out the lettuce and salsa topping until you are ready to eat.
Looking for other amazing meal prep style recipes? Try these!
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork
- Easy Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
- How to Cook your Holiday Ham in the Crockpot
- Best Crock Pot Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker Pork Roast
- Best Crock Pot Hawaiian Chicken recipe
- Crock Pot Pork Carnitas
- Crock Pot Madras Lentils
- low Cooker Brown Sugar Pork Roast
- Easy Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
Meal Prep Southwest Chicken and Rice Bowl is packed with amazing flavors and a great way to prep meals for the week! This healthy chicken and brown rice bowl has only 6 simple ingredients!