Raspberry Meltaway Cookies just melt in your mouth! Perfect topped with a simple vanilla glaze swirled with raspberry jam.
Raspberry Meltaway Cookies ~ these cookies have a lovely, bright raspberry almond flavor and just melt in your mouth! Easy cookie recipe you’ve got to try! If you’ve never had a meltaway cookie, you’ve absolutely got to try these! They have a wonderful buttery flavor and they just melt in your mouth. I topped these with a vanilla glaze swirled with raspberry jam. LOVE them!
What are meltaway cookies?
Meltaway cookies are a deliciously soft shortbread cookie that feels so light that it feels like it’s melting away in your mouth as you bite into it. Which makes them an incredibly sweet treat that you can easily have you eat an entire batch before stopping.
Raspberry Meltaway Cookies Ingredients
-Butter: We need 1 cup of softened butter to help give our cookies some rich tasting fats that help it feel like it’s melting away on our tongues.
-Cornstarch: Adding in 3/4 cup of cornstarch helps to keep the dough thicker and lighter so that it has a great consistency.
-Powdered Sugar: We want our cookies sweet, so having 3/4 cup of powdered sugar (not granulated sugar) in the dough will really help to achieve this.
-Almond Extract: Adding 1 1/2 teaspoons of almond extract will help to enhance the flavors a bit as well as add in its own. The sweet earthy flavor of the almond will really pair great with the other flavors in these cookies.
-Flour: 1 to 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour will be the base of this cookie dough recipe and the amount of flour actually needed will vary.
-Raspberry Jam: You only need about 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite seedless raspberry jam to create the colorful swirls on every cookie.
-Vanilla Glaze: We will make our own vanilla glaze using 3 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, 3 tablespoons of milk and about 1-1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar.
How to make Raspberry Meltaway Cookies
Mix together the butter and cornstarch until combined, in a bowl.
Add in the powdered sugar and the almond extract until smooth.
Add in the flour and mix until the dough comes together and the flour has been incorporated.
Cover and place in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Scoop the dough into 1/2 tablespoon sized scoops (I use a small cookie scoop) and roll the dough into balls before placing on a parchment lined baking sheet in rows of 4 by 5. (So about 20 cookies per baking sheet).
Bake in the oven for 9 minutes and then remove.
While the cookies are still hot and fresh, flatten the tops of the cookies by gently pressing down on them with the bottom of a clean glass.
Let sit for several minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
After the cookies have cooled for about 10 minutes, you can top it off with the glaze. Spoon your glaze over the cookies.
Transfer some raspberry jam to a piping bag or a close top sandwich bag and snip the corner. Pipe some jam onto each cookie (about 4-5 drops). Use a toothpick to swirl them around.
Let cool and set before serving.
How to make the cookie glaze
Melt the butter and stir in your vanilla and milk. Whisk in 1- 1/2 cups of powdered sugar. Stir until smooth and the desired consistency has been reached.
Let the glaze cool slightly before spooning onto cookies.
RASPBERRY MELTAWAY COOKIES
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour**
- 2-3 TBSP seedless red raspberry jam
- 3 TBSP butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 TBSP milk
- 1-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Mix together butter and cornstarch until well combined. Add in powdered sugar and extract and mix until smooth. Add flour and mix until dough comes together and flour is all incorporated. Cover and refrigerate 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Scoop out about 1/2 a tablespoonful of dough. Roll into a ball and lay on parchment on a cookie sheet. Lay cookie dough balls out 4 across in 5 rows, fitting about 20 cookies per sheet. Bake 9 minutes. Remove from oven and flatten the tops of each cookie by gently pressing down with the bottom of a glass. Let sit for 2 minutes before transferring cookies to a cooling rack.
- Melt butter. Stir in vanilla and milk. Whisk in powdered sugar. Stir until smooth and desired consistency is achieved. Let cool slightly before spooning onto cookies.
- Let cool about 10 minutes. Spoon glaze on top. Transfer jam to a small bag and cut the corner to pipe 4-5 small drops of jam on top of glaze on each cookie. Use a toothpick to swirl the jam and the glaze.
- Let cool to set. Store in an airtight container.
Can you freeze meltaway cookies?
Due to the light and airy texture of these delicate cookies, you’ll find that freezing them once baked may not yield the same amazing taste and textures as a freshly baked batch. If you do choose to freeze them after baking, make sure that they are undecorated, were cooled completely and are stored in an airtight container.
Freezing the dough could be an easier school of thought as you can simply thaw the dough and bake as usual.
Do cookies with jam need to be refrigerated?
While it makes sense that an open jar of jam would require refrigeration, cookies that contain a small amount of jam (such as these meltaway cookies) can be safely stored at room temperature. If placed in the fridge, you may want them to come to room temperature before enjoying fully.
How do you prevent cookies from cracking?
How do you keep cookies from spreading when baking?
Besides the above-mentioned parchment paper trick, another great way to keep your cookies from spreading too thin while baking is to make sure that the cookie dough is chilled and the baking sheet isn’t warm. Cold/room temp pan + hot and ready oven + chilled dough = Amazing cookies!
If you love these Raspberry Meltaway Cookies, be sure to try these other all-time favorite cookie recipes!
- VALENTINES SUGAR COOKIES
- COPYCAT SWIG SUGAR COOKIES
- THE BEST PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- PEANUT BUTTER BUTTERFINGER COOKIES
- ZUCCHINI COOKIES
- SOFT CHRISTMAS SUGAR COOKIES
- SUPER SOFT SUGAR COOKIES
- BLACKBERRY OATMEAL COOKIES
- COCONUT MACADAMIA NUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- GRANDMA’S ITALIAN COOKIES
- CHERRY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- CHRISTMAS SPRINKLE SUGAR COOKIES
- STRAWBERRY CAKE MIX COOKIES
- HOT COCOA COOKIES
- MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Raspberry Meltaway Cookies topped with a vanilla glaze and swirled with raspberry jam are a delicious cookie you can’t keep away from.