Pumpkin Spice Caramels are the perfect fall treat! Combining the pumpkin flavor with the gooey caramel texture guarantees a new family favorite recipe!
These Pumpkin Spice Caramels are a recipe I’ve been working on for a while and I finally have the perfect balance between amazing flavor and easy to make. Win! We love homemade caramels and I make them every year, often giving them to friends and family. I had the idea to do a pumpkin flavored caramel and let me tell you, I’m SO glad I did- they’re incredible! The pumpkin spice flavor is great and I love the soft texture. You want to know the best part? They’re made entirely in the microwave!! Seriously. Scroll down to see the video I created that shows how to make them- it’s so simple!
What are pumpkin spice caramels?
This easy caramel recipe is one that requires a microwave and mixing bowl. Cooked entirely in the microwave you save yourself time, effort, and struggles because there’s no need for boiling sugars and candy thermometers. This recipe is perfect for beginner candy makers and experienced ones as well. Try this delicious recipe today and you’ll be shocked at just how good they taste. Using pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin puree the flavor is perfect with every soft chewy caramel piece.
Pumpkin Spice Caramels Ingredients
-Butter: One stick of butter will help to give us a rich buttery flavor for our caramels. Do not use margarine.
-Sugar: You will need 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar.
-Corn syrup: 1 cup of corn syrup will help to give us a thick sugary base for our caramels.
-Sweetened Condensed Milk: We need 1 can (14 ounce) of condensed milk.
-Pumpkin Puree: Using 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix) we can create our caramels with actual pumpkin in every piece.
-Pumpkin Pie Spice: We need 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice to make a wonderfully flavored caramel candy that tastes like Fall.
How to make pumpkin spice caramels
Prepare a 7×11 baking dish by lining it with foil and spraying it with nonstick cooking spray. You can also use a 9×13 baking dish or an 8×8 baking dish depending on what you have on hand.
Melt your butter in a large glass bowl for about 1 minute in the microwave.
Add in the other ingredients and stir to combine.
Microwave the mixture in 4 intervals, quickly stirring after each and returning to the microwave.
- For the first heating microwave for 6 minutes.
- During the second heating, microwave for an additional 6 minutes.
- One the third heating, microwave for 5 minutes.
- The fourth heating should also be for 5 minutes.
Stir the caramel again and then pour it into your prepared pan. Let cool until set, but if you’re in a hurry you can place it in the fridge and it will only take about 2 hours.
Remove the caramel candy from the baking dish and slice it into thin strips using a large knife of cooking shears. Cut them into small squares and wrap them in wax paper, twisting the ends to seal.
Keep stored in an airtight container. This candy will last a few weeks if stored properly.
PUMPKIN SPICE CARAMELS
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 14- oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Prepare a 7×11 glass pan by lining with foil or parchment and spraying with non-stick spray. (9×13 can be used at well, or for thicker caramels, use an 8×8)
- Melt butter in a large glass bowl. (Mine melted in 1 minute in the microwave.)
- Add all other ingredients and stir to combine.
- Microwave mixture in 4 intervals, quickly stirring after each interval and returning to the microwave. (1st heating: 6 minutes, 2nd heating: 6 minutes, 3rd heating: 5 minutes, 4th heating: 5 minutes)
- Stir caramel once more then pour into prepared pan. Cool until set- if you’re in a hurry, you can place the pan in the fridge for about 2 hours. Otherwise it will set up nicely just resting in room temperature for several hours.
- Remove from pan and slice into strips with a large knife or cooking shears. Cut into small squares and wrap in wax paper, (or purchase wax paper squares here– so cheap!!) twisting the ends to seal.
- Store in an airtight container. Will keep for several weeks!
- *Note: I have a 1000 watt microwave and these are soft caramels. Check your microwave’s wattage first (it’s found on a label just inside the door) then adjust time as needed. If you want firmer caramels, I’d add 1 minute to each interval.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can I use margarine instead of butter?
I do not recommend using margarine as it is much softer than real butter and may not set up as properly. Using real butter is always a safer bet when cooking.
Why are my caramels hard?
If your caramels turned out hard then it could be because you either over-stirred the caramels causing it to become overworked or it could simply be because you have a much stronger and higher watt microwave. For the latter, simply adjusting the time will help. Cook the mixture a little less and you should see results.
Can I use a pumpkin pie mix?
If you’re talking about the canned pumpkin pie mix that you find in the grocery stores next to the canned pumpkin puree, my answer is no. Canned pumpkin pie mix is not the same as pumpkin puree as it contains added ingredients such as spices and eggs. Pumpkin puree is what we want to use whether it is a homemade puree or canned storebought.
If you love these Pumpkin Spice Caramels, you’ll want to try some of our other favorite fall recipes too!
- EASY 15-MINUTE DONUTS, 3 RECIPES
- APPLE CINNAMON CRUMB BARS
- MAPLE PUMPKIN SPICE POPCORN
- CINNAMON CARAMEL APPLE DIP
- PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE BARS
- SKILLET CINNAMON APPLES
- BEST PUMPKIN SPICE CUPCAKES
- HALLOWEEN PRETZELS THREE WAYS
- PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE
- SNICKERDOODLE APPLE PIE
- PUMPKIN DINNER ROLLS
- SPICED CARAMEL APPLE CIDER
- NO BAKE PUMPKIN PIE
- GLAZED APPLE WALNUT BREAD
- PUMPKIN POKE CAKE
These tasty and soft and chewy pumpkin caramel candies are perfect for Fall and perfect for sharing with friends and family. Enjoy making a batch soon so you have all of Autumn to enjoy these wonderful Fall flavors.