How do you make Rice Krispie Treats on the stove?
Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted and well-blended. …Add cereal. Stir until well coated. Using buttered spatula or waxed paper, press mixture evenly and firmly in buttered 13 x 9 inch pan. Cut into 2 x 2 inch squares when cool. Our favorite thing is to add other tasty treats in with the cereal to make a variety of different krispie treats like we do with our Oreo Krispie Treats!
Oreo Rice Krispie Treat Ingredients
–9 cups mini marshmallows: You’ll use most of a 16 oz bag of mini marshmallows. Be sure to pick ones that look fresh & aren’t sticking together.
–6 Tbsp butter: I’m a big fan of real butter, but you can use margarine or coconut oil, if you’d like.
–8 cups Krispie rice cereal: You’ll use most of a 12-oz box of Rice Krispies. Off brand or name brand is okay!
–4 cups crushed oreos: You’ll use most of a 19-oz “Family Size” package of OREO cookies. I love using the Double Stuff ones!
Rice Krispie Treats in the Microwave
First, put your Oreos (about 40) in a sturdy plastic bag to crush them. I like my meat tenderizer for this, but a rolling pin works too. Crush them until they are roughly the same size as your cereal pieces.
Next, put 8 cups of marshmallows and the butter in a microwaveable bowl. Put them in the microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir immediately. If the mixture does not combine easily, cook for 30 seconds more, stirring again.
While this mixture is still hot, pour in the rice cereal and crushed Oreos. Stir carefully until everything is combined. Add in the remaining cup of marshmallows, then stir lightly, just until combined.
HOW TO KEEP YOUR MESS TO A MINIMUM
PRO TIPs: Everyone always asks how I make rice krispie treats without all the sticky mess. Well, not only do I spray the 9×13 pan, but I also spray the bowl AND my rubber scraper. It works so well. No sticky marshmallow mess to clean!
OREO KRISPIE TREATS
- 9 cups mini marshmallows one 16-oz package
- 6 TBSP butter
- 8 cups rice cereal one 12-oz box
- 4 cups crushed oreos one 19-oz Family Size package
- chocolate chips for drizzling
- Next, pour 8 cups of marshmallows and the butter in a microwaveable bowl. Put them in the microwave on high for 1 minute 20 second. Stir immediately. If the mixture does not combine easily, cook for 20 seconds more, stirring again.
- While this mixture is still hot, pour in the rice cereal and crushed Oreos. Stir carefully until everything is combined. Add in the remaining cup of marshmallows, then stir lightly, just until combined.
- The treats are ready to eat now, but to really dress them up, melt ¼ cup of milk or white chocolate chips and drizzle over the treats.
- Do not use stale marshmallows. Seriously. Rice Krispie Treats are not the treat to use up those old, hard marshmallows! Recently purchased marshmallows work best.
- Do not overcook. You want to heat the marshmallows until they’re soft and beginning to lose shape. I find it’s easiest to not overcook marshmallows if I heat them in the microwave. Mine take just over 1 minute to be ready- that’s it!
- Don’t forget the butter. The marshmallow-butter combination helps keep the treats soft and chewy, so don’t leave it out or reduce the measurement.
- Don’t chill in the refrigerator. Even if you want them to set quickly, I find this just dries the marshmallow treats out more quickly.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter top.
If you enjoy these Oreo Krispie Treats try a few of our other delicious Krispie Recipes:
- Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Squares
- Spring Krispie Treats
- Donut Krispie Treats
- S’mores Krispie Treats
- Divinely Rich Krispie Treats